Protein Shakes . . which one?

Options

Replies

• jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Vega - Whole Health Optimizer. It is Vegan and has some of the best ingredients for your body out there. They modified the mix a bit in the past couple of months and now call it Vega One, but it really is better for you than most of the other "protein" powders you can get out there. Tons of greens, all "raw" foods, etc.

Where is this available?
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    protein shakes cannot be a meal replacement by itself. It can only be considered a meal replacement if carbs are added into it, eg oats. Drinking protein shakes to lose weight and gain muscle is contradictory and doesn't really make sense, as protein is not a magic nutrient that burns away fat. To lose weight, you need to have a calorie DEFICIT. To have a deficit, you need more calories out than in. Muscle is the ultimate calorie burner, hence an increase in muscle = increase in calorie burning = fat loss. Protein helps in that is REPAIRS and BUILDS muscles after a workout to aid in fat loss.

Taking more protein does not help you lose weight nor does it make you gain muscles, it is like bricks in building a house. You need bricks to build a strong and sturdy house, but the bricks alone doesnt make a house does it? Bricks = protein, exercise/workouts = builder. You need both to see any benefits of increased protein intake.

To answer your question however, WHEY protein is a fast digesting protein very useful to take right after waking up or pre/post workout. Casein is a slow digesting protein useful right before bed. Universal has some pretty good whey protein that is low on calories for cutters, about 85 caories for 20g protein.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Body By Vi shakes are amazing, They taste great, they are low sugar, low sodium, gluten free, they are the only shakes out there with the Tri-sorb protein, which helps your body be able to absorb 98% of what you drink and replace fat with healthy lean muscle. They are great. If you would like to know more PM me.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein. It's got kind of a nutty taste and goes really well in just about any smoothie, or you can even just blend it with a banana and some coconut water.
  • cypspade
    cypspade Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey,

I have had this quandry for some time: It depends on your opinion on sugar and artificial sweeteners. I try to stay away from them.
    Trader Joes has a great no sugar protein powder. It does not taste very good but does the trick. My new deal has been this.

1 small banana- 90-110 calories depending who you believe
    1 cup strawberries 50 calories
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese 90 calories
    Ice
    Water

It is excellent. Low in calories and 9 grams of protein.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Take protein to retain muscle while you cut......Target 1g / 1lb LBM.... Target .3g fat / Lb .....fill the rest with whatever you want to stay under your calorie goal. Calories in < Calories out to lose weight...
  • icansing4u
    icansing4u Posts: 1
    Options
    Shakeology! Have it everyday. Lost weight and helps me reduce my cravings!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Pro Performance Whey - Banana Cream flavor. It is DELICIOUS! Which is weird to say because I have tried sooooo many different brands of whey and never liked the flavors, but this one is amazing. Tastes like a cream banana cream pie shake or something. I have it for dessert. :) It's 20g of protein for about.. I wanna say 110 cals, but it may be 150... I recently bought 2 different kinds, both whey and casein, so I don't remember which is which. I made the mistake of buying vanilla casein... disgusting. lol but fell in love with the banana cream whey!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No one can answer this for you trust me --- there are zillions of them out there, and what someone loves, you might hate. I have plenty of jugs of crap to prove it!

Some tips:

1. Avoid all the pre-made stuff --- you can make much better shakes on your own
    2. Avoid all the silly expensive scams like shakeology, body by vi, beachwhatever -- you can make those too
    3. READ LABELS
    4. Order Samples -- there are tons of places to do this and not waste your money on giant jugs you dont like
    5. Buy from GNC (during gold card week) or Vitamin Shoppe --- you can return there if you don't like what you bought
    6. Figure out what you want --- I personally look for 100% pure whey protein isolate (not a concentrate, not a blend), no artificial sweeteners and low/zero carbs and sugar. My typical protein shake currently is about 150 calories (for 24oz - i sip it all morning) and 3g carb (from almond milk) and 27g protein. I am a bit of a protein snob though - you probably don't need to be so picky if you find something you like.
    7. FIX THE TASTE-- most taste like crap with just water --- so find something you like and use that instead. I make most of mine with almond milk and cold decaf coffee... I love the flavor. I also mix them with ice tea, diet v8 splash, trop 50, crystal light etc. Sometimes I add flavored sugar-free syrups, or powdered PB2, or sugar-free pudding mix -- be creative. I'm lazy so I don't usually do all the fancy crap like adding fruit and using a blender. Adding greek yogurt (like fage 0&) is a great protein boost -- watch out for cottage cheese though, its super high in sodium.
    8. Suck it up and buy a blender bottle -- a real one wtih the wire ball inside -- its worth it :)

If you need links for samples, I have lots of those too. I've tried them all :)

I order all of mine from supplementwarehouse.com -- its the cheapest out there, they have most brands and they match prices if you find it lower than somewhere else. I won't mention my favorites since they probably wouldn't be yours -- but they are also gluten free/lactose friendly which helps if the cheap ones give you gas.
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • ballerina454
    ballerina454 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is a very good way to make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet and it is great if you can get a protein shake with vitamins and minerals in it also while you are dieting. I substitute my breakfast and dinner with shakes when I get super busy--and they keep me full and satisfied. I have had great luck with losing weight while using SPIRUTEIN PROTIEN POWDERS. I love the vanilla and chocolate but they make several very yummy flavors. I order mine off vitaminshoppe.com or if you have a store near you can buy it there---just ask them to match their online pricing :-) <---cheapest place to purchase! Good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • ballerina454
    ballerina454 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also if you but at Vitamnshoppe if you do not like a flavor you can exchange it for a different flavor. I love this policy.
  • mrkennethjay
    Options
    GNC Total Lean: Lean Shake
    25 grams protein
    170 calories
    24 vitamins and minerals
    & the best part .... Lactose free!
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    ViSalus~Body By Vi
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Also if you but at Vitamnshoppe if you do not like a flavor you can exchange it for a different flavor. I love this policy.
    That's a fantastic policy! I didn't know that!
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Sksieger
    Sksieger Posts: 63
    Options
    Vega one is my favorite.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I like Plant Fusion Protein powder. I'm not vegan, but I like that it's all plant protein and I can understand the ingredients. It's superfine, isn't chalky like most whey protein, and it dissolves easily. I use the vanilla in my green smoothies, and sometimes use the chocolate in between meals.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Getting a lot of emails regarding my post above asking me where to get samples --- so I decided to post it here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissMaryMac33/view/protein-samples-101-260411
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump