how do i cut the sugar?

i keep having problems with cutting my sugar. every day i eat oatmeal but i make it myself its not the premade kind. so i have to add sugar or its like eating cardboard. but EVERY day i am over and idk how to cut it back. my diary is public so take a look and please let me know!

Replies

• chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Have you considered a sugar substitute?

How do you cut sugar? By not eating it. I see you had sugar twice yesterday, three-four tsp every time... Can you not eat the oats with half as much sugar? Just enough to give it a little sweetness.

But if you ask me, aim to be on target for your macro-nutrients (carbs, fats, protein) and don't worry about the sugar that much.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    The problem with grains is that they convert to sugar in the body just like sugar. Try eating a vegetable omelet for breakfast. Or, if you're looking for something QUICK, make yourself a protein shake.
  • hcglindsey
    hcglindsey Posts: 37 Member
    STEVIA!!!!!!! cut the processed food ...carbs are sugar :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    The problem with grains is that they convert to sugar in the body just like sugar. Try eating a vegetable omelet for breakfast. Or, if you're looking for something QUICK, make yourself a protein shake.

Agree with this. The oatmeal is already loaded in sugar (carbs). Try having protein for breakfast. It will keep you full longer and you don't have to add more sugar. Omelet, quiche, egg bake, protein shakes all good to have in the AM.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    I think it's OK if you balance your carbs with protein. My favorite breakfast is a cup of egg whites combined with a 1/2 cup of plain old fashioned oatmeal. It's delicious with a tablespoon of almond butter! I would use xylitol (Ideal brand) for a sweetener if necessary. Just base every meal you have on a protein, and then add the carb and healthy fat. I got that great tip from my doctor!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    i keep having problems with cutting my sugar. every day i eat oatmeal but i make it myself its not the premade kind. so i have to add sugar or its like eating cardboard. but EVERY day i am over and idk how to cut it back. my diary is public so take a look and please let me know!

Do you have diabetes or another insulin response metabolic disorder?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    STEVIA!!!!!!!

This takes care of your problem. I like to put a little peanut butter in my oatmeal along with the stevia. Works for me and I don't crash like I did with added sugar. The high fiber of real (not instant oatmeal) should keep your blood sugar in check. :drinker:
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    I personally don't think your sugars are that bad. I mean 16 grams came from an apple. Apples are good for you.

Get rid of the Papa Johns though :)
  • Amommymoose
    Amommymoose Posts: 29 Member
    STEVIA!!!!!!!

This takes care of your problem. I like to put a little peanut butter in my oatmeal along with the stevia. Works for me and I don't crash like I did with added sugar. The high fiber of real (not instant oatmeal) should keep your blood sugar in check. :drinker:

Stevia MIGHT be your answer. It depends: why are you trying to cut back the sugar? Is it because MFP says you're over? Or do you have a personal health reason? Or is it a personal philosophical reason?
  • I personally stay away from artificial sweeteners. I was reading recently that because they're so much sweeter than actual sugar, they trigger something in our brains that causes us to crave sweets more often. Thats the last thing I need!! ;)

I recently made the switch from oatmeal to malto meal. I'm one to sugar up my oatmeal as well and I find I don't need to add anything to my malto meal at all, other than butter. (earth balance dairy free/soy free butter substitute) Its SO good. I really like it with a slice of toasted ezekiel bread.

I've also been able to cut my sugar cravings by drinking non sweetened caffeine free (my choice) iced tea. I add lemon to curb the bitter taste. I find that the taste of the tea satisfies my sweet tooth. Its really helped get rid of my late night candy cravings. :)
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    I use organic honey in oatmeal, you only need half as much as sugar and it is a lot healthier for you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Remove the sugar column from your diary. Replace it with a protein column. Make sure you get enough protein.
  • energy4life
    energy4life Posts: 63
    Have you tried Stevia? they come in all different flavors. You buy it at health food stores. :flowerforyou:
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    I can't handle oatmeal without a sweetener either. And, I have sugar issues. So, I just avoid it. Instead, I have some high fibre bread with peanut butter (some protein helps with the blood sugar) and some fresh (sweet!) fruit. Strawberries are my favourite. Good luck! You can do it!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Try adding grated apple and cinnamon to your oatmeal. It makes it sweet without the processed sugar. It won't be as sweet as adding heaps of sugar but try it for a week and you will get used to it.
    I also add peanut butter to my porridge (oatmeal) which adds extra flavour so I don't miss the sugar).
    Personally I don't worry too much about sugar - I try to make sure that most of it comes from fruit, diary, grains etc - then I know I'm getting lots of good nutrition, fibre etc rather than the energy without so much nutrition that you get from a teaspoon of sugar or lollies.

Or, if you don't mind the taste of sugar substitutes, try them out, but in the long term I think it would be a much better habit to get used to eating things that aren't so sweet. I don't eat splenda or stevia or any of the others because I don't like the taste.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    I simply make everything from scratch.

I use hazelnut milk in my oatmeal and honestly don't need sugar because it is sweet! (add cinnamon if you like). Or liquid stevia works as well. I will eat oatmeal once in awhile because of this reason. You could add applesauce to it for a sweetener.

for pancakes, that is a hard one. I usually buy 100% maple syrup and use a tiny tiny bit, but it's expensive. Or my husband puts peanut butter on top of his pancakes.

You could add protein powder to the oatmeal and peanut butter (I heard peanut butter or a nut butter is tasty), or sliced/cooked apples or applesauce. Hazelnut milk and vanilla rice milk are very sweet (get unsweetened) naturally and make oatmeal taste sweet.
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    From looking through your diary, your main sugar for the day is just what you add to your oatmeal. I've tried oatmeal with stevia, it's not too bad so you could try that (i actually prefer it unsweetened though). If you decide you don't like it, just swap to a different breakfast. Eggs, toast with peanut butter, low sugar muesli, greek yogurt and berries?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member

Do you have diabetes or another insulin response metabolic disorder?

this. because if not ... no reason to worry.
  • ryliejaiden
    ryliejaiden Posts: 68
    Read the label of everything you buy. If it has added sugar (sucralose, any kind of syrup, fructose, any kind of sugar, cane juice, agave nectar, wheat flour, rice flour, barley flour, enriched flour, bleached flour, etc) then don't buy it. I'm noticing that you're eating a lot of processed carbs, and brown sugar. These are your main culprits. Try eating ezekiel bread or rice bread instead of white or whole grain breads, and opt for some truvia or stevia instead of brown sugar. Also, milk and cereals are full of sugar that you shouldn't be eating. Try unsweetened almond milk, or hemp milk instead of cows milk. Fruits also have a lot of sugar, but at least that's natural, try not to eat fruit after lunch though.

Also, eating unprocessed, whole, clean foods is the best way to reduce sugar intake. I noticed that a lot of what you eat isn't whole or from the earth. Eating things like fresh fruits and veggies and free range meats and fish, as well as cutting out refined carbohydrates (wheat bread, bagels, etc) will do the trick, plus you'll lose more weight and feel better in the long run!

Good luck reducing your sugar!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    what if you add some berries to your oatmeal to add natural sweetness?