My daughter is being bullied!

Options
2»

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I understand that but likewise having your parent come in and talk to the teacher is embarrassing when the whole class see's it or if the girl came in and started telling everyone that your kids mommy had to come in and stick up for her because she couldnt do it herself. I'm not trying to say fighting is right or anything and I'm just speaking from personal experiance but I think (sometimes) standing up for yourself is the only way to really take care of the problem.

Kids don't have to know that adults are involved. Thats not how it works. The adults are in charge, not the children.

Yes but after the parents aren't there, the bullying gets worse for being a tattle tale

And, unfortunately, the parent of the bully is NOT in charge. If she was, she wouldn't blindly believe her child would "never" do such a thing.

Generally speaking if the child had a positive home life they would not be bullying anyway. At that age agression towards others is a way to vent a deeper issue.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    And full respect to the pacifists out there. You are operating on an intellectual and emotional level we should all aspire to. Unfortunately, the bullies are operating on the level of a pack animal trying to establish their dominance. And, they will not understand anything else right now.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm worried that if she fights back, the other girl will become more aggressive.

I think first things first -- GTO should contact the principal. No principal wants bullying in their school. By talking to the school, she'd be protecting other peoples kids too.

And if the bullying continues, especially over her being a tattle, then teach your daughter how to throw a wicked right hook.
  • agarlits
    Options
    I'm worried that if she fights back, the other girl will become more aggressive.

I think first things first -- GTO should contact the principal. No principal wants bullying in their school. By talking to the school, she'd be protecting other peoples kids too.

And if the bullying continues, especially over her being a tattle, then teach your daughter how to throw a wicked right hook.

Or a roundhouse kick, Chuck Norris style baby!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    And full respect to the pacifists out there. You are operating on an intellectual and emotional level we should all aspire to. Unfortunately, the bullies are operating on the level of a pack animal trying to establish their dominance. And, they will not understand anything else right now.

And fighting back is submitting to thier will. Walking away may aggrevate them, but if it starts young and the school get involved in keeping it out of the school, they don't get thier way.

At 30 years old, I still talk to people from elementary school. Bullies included. The ones who got thier way then, still get thier way, some even have domestic violence cases against them and have gone down other criminal roads.

One guy, who seemed like a lost cause back then, was taken thru the proper channels in the school and in the legal system. Today he is a regular guy with no criminal record and a volunteer for underprivleged children. He does not have a bad temper anymore and he is very respectful and deeply religous.

While fighting back may be neccessary at times (as a last resort) it is important to teach our children consequences. The consequence in the real world for assult is jail and/or other legal action. (a lawsuit even) Oftentimes the person fighting back is charged as well. So if a child is physically assulting another child, they need realistic consequences. That is where the school comes in. Alot of parents are idiots and don't take responsibility for thier kids actions or understand that what the kids do away from home is a reflection of them as parents. But that does not justify fighting.

If all the proper channels are followed first and this kid still won't stop maybe a blackeye is the way to get thru to her. But if the proper channels are not followed and she goes straight to the fight, she could potentially risk getting in trouble too. I don't know where you all are from, but around here a fight on your record can keep you from enrolling into another school or other activities...regardless of who was at fault.

Just my opinion.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Ok... voice of experience here. My son went through this in 7th and 8th grade. I didn't hear about it because he wouldn't tell me anything, until things got so bad in 8th grade he'd come home and burst into tears. GTO, be glad that your daughter is willing to let you know this stuff is going on, so many kids keep it secret, and it does NOT go away by ignoring it.

But, I am wary of telling your daughter to fight back. We had sort of told our son that he should push the kid into a locker (my son is almost a foot taller than the bully), hold him there, get in his face and say "LEAVE ME ALONE!" I worried about him getting in trouble from being caught "retaliating", like what has happened with your daughter in the past. So, I told my son that if the teachers weren't doing anything, I was going to go to the principal.

I called the principal while sitting and waiting for my son to get through his counseling appt. The principal was shocked, because she hadn't heard a single thing about this from the teachers. Mind you, our school (as do many others) has a "No Bullying" policy. She said she would look into it, and to have Brandon let the teachers know right away when something happened. He did, for another couple of weeks, and when I called the principal to follow up, she hadn't been hearing from the teachers still. So I told my son to bypass the teachers and go directly to the office. THAT was what worked. Sort of. It was still a process, and nothing seemed to happen. I continued to call and pester the principal. It wasn't until my son got punched in class (gym class, they were in the weight room) that anything actually happened.

The teacher didn't see anything, but the principal asked if there were any other witnesses. My son said no, everyone else was busy, but he gave a list of names anyways. They interviewed these kids, who of course hadn't seen the punch, but were forthcoming with other instances of abuse by this kid. Needless to say, the kid got a week of in-school suspension. My son talked a couple of other kids who were being picked on to come forward and tell the principal as well. By the end of another 3 months, the bully was kicked out of school.

I know it took a while, but in a way, I'm glad a child can't just point a finger at someone and accuse them of bullying. I just wish the principal had questioned other kids sooner.

Sorry that took so long, buuuuuuttttt..... My advice, is for you as the parent to contact the principal. Pester the principal. Each time something happens, have your daughter go to the principal with a concise explanation of what happened and possible witnesses, whether they are other kids or not. Right now, your daughter is the one who has been busted by the teacher, so acknowledge that with the principal. Admit that your daughter is retaliating, but that she felt driven to it, by the fact that the teacher seemed to do nothing. That if your daughter were to feel safe and secure, she would stop the retaliation.

By the way, is the bullying physical or verbal? Another option is to give your daughter a digital recorder for her pocket. If the bully starts something, it will be recorded, and is just more evidence when speaking to the teacher and the principal.

Good luck to you and your daughter!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    For right now it's verbal taunting. Hopefully my daughter would tell me if it got physical.
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    I don't think this is true at all.

I agree with PP that children who are bullied should stand up or themselves, and that things like "bouncing his head off a desk" "shoving him into a locker" or a "roundhouse kick" are such incredibly bad ideas I can't believe grown people are talking about them in a positive way. Standing up for oneself is about confidence and strength. The little girl in question is being spoken to in a nasty way presumably because another little girl wants to lift her own social standing by putting her down. The solution is for her to find the strength to not be put down and to win her own social standing by merit of her positive qualities. If she can join some clubs or teams she's interested in (even tae kwon do!) and be a good friend to her friends, this bully will find herself ineffective in squashing her. It's so wonderful that your daughter came to you for help. After you've spoken with the teachers and principal, I hope you'll help your daughter to use this opportunity to grow stronger and more confident as a person. That's a gift she'll always have.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    My kids are only 4/5 and I am not in your shoes, but for now I don't condone violence....even if my dd or ds was hit/pushed first
    My advice would be to ask the teacher if u can observe the class.....get a better picture of what is really going on....
    I would also, for now, ask your dd to do her best to ignore her and walk away.....if the other girls continues to pick on her and your dd ignores her...it should become pretty clear who the trouble maker is

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful
    Kim
  • agarlits
    Options
    Stick with the Tae Kwon Do, find a good dojo close by. The'll teach her reasoning and mental toughness as well as ways to combat threats with her mind. The martial arts aspect is strictly for self defence and they will teach her that. But knowing how to counter a direct physical attack from another person will be helpful if this problem moves from verbal to physical. Its more of a proactive move as opposed to passive, but I think it would work out better for YOUR situation.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

I agree with PP that children who are bullied should stand up or themselves, and that things like "bouncing his head off a desk" "shoving him into a locker" or a "roundhouse kick" are such incredibly bad ideas I can't believe grown people are talking about them in a positive way. Standing up for oneself is about confidence and strength. The little girl in question is being spoken to in a nasty way presumably because another little girl wants to lift her own social standing by putting her down. The solution is for her to find the strength to not be put down and to win her own social standing by merit of her positive qualities. If she can join some clubs or teams she's interested in (even tae kwon do!) and be a good friend to her friends, this bully will find herself ineffective in squashing her. It's so wonderful that your daughter came to you for help. After you've spoken with the teachers and principal, I hope you'll help your daughter to use this opportunity to grow stronger and more confident as a person. That's a gift she'll always have.

If you had read my post closer, you'll see that I didn't have my son shove the bully into a locker because I was worried about him getting into trouble for retaliating... I told him I was talking to the principal. What I didn't add in my post was that if my son had done that (even though he had a foot on the bully) he probably would have gotten his butt handed to him on a platter. The kid that was bullying him was BAD NEWS. Had a parole officer and everything, although I didn't find that out until after he was kicked out of school. If I had known about it, you better believe I would have called the kid's PO and complained, and I bet something would have happened sooner.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I don't believe I advocated pushing anyone into a locker or bouncing their heads. I did advocate standing up for ones self and if necessary to defend herself physically. I believe my statement about dominance stands. It doesn't always mean physical dominance.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe leading them to be violent towards the bully is always the right decision.
    Proper channels of what happening is important, Teacher, principal etc.

The bully if "embarassed" in front of other kids might do the opposite of what you would think.

If the bully gets beaten up, you can't under estimate what is going on in their minds.

They might:
    Wait for them off of school property.
    Bring friends with them next time.
    Bring a weapon to get the upperhand.

I know this is far fetched, but throwing possibilities out there.

Short story.
    I was at a bar this past weekend and a fight almost happened with someone I know.
    I went to step in front of my friend and pushed him away.
    So afterwards another friend told me that a friend of his got into a fight.
    Self defense, he hit the guy, other guy hit the pavement, then hospital, then he died.

This friends friend got 5 years in jail, where every week or so he was beated up and went from hospital back to jail cell repeatedly.

My point.
    Accidents Happen, and you can't control what might happen when it gets to that situation.

Raming a head into a desk.
    Giving a round house.
    Banging into a locker

All incidents where someone could bang their head and knock them unconscious, hit the floor etc.
    Could bruise the brain or possibly cause it to bleed.