Post-running high protein/low carb snack/meal please?

Options
Hi all,

So i have a protein shake before going for a run in the evenings. I get home late from work so i don't finish my run until about 9.30pm so i need something quick and easy to have after my run and something that wont sit in my stomach when i go to bed. Last night i had a huge turkey salad and it just felt too much!

Any one have any good high protein/low carb ideas? i have eggs for breakfast so do not want eggs!

thanks! xxx

Replies

• NikkiJoH
    NikkiJoH Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i like chicken n broccoli, all done in the steamer takes 5 min, can add cheese too if u want.
    i also like to have sausages!
    if ur in a hurry have u thought about pre cooking meals and freezing them? u only need to but in the mocrowave when u get home then :-)

if ur looking for something sweet i have just found coconut milk! beautiful! and i add unsweetend cocoa powder and sweetner to it.....its so good and super low carb!
    x
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    i like chicken n broccoli, all done in the steamer takes 5 min, can add cheese too if u want.
    i also like to have sausages!
    if ur in a hurry have u thought about pre cooking meals and freezing them? u only need to but in the mocrowave when u get home then :-)

if ur looking for something sweet i have just found coconut milk! beautiful! and i add unsweetend cocoa powder and sweetner to it.....its so good and super low carb!
    x

Yum yum thank you!!! xxx
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Anyone else? xxx
  • tinawharrison
    tinawharrison Posts: 123
    Options
    I always keep tuna in the cupboard for a quick snack... No carbs, low fat, tons of protein! If i'm feeling super lazy, I eat it out of the can! :happy:
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    I always keep tuna in the cupboard for a quick snack... No carbs, low fat, tons of protein! If i'm feeling super lazy, I eat it out of the can! :happy:

Thank u! im not a great lover of tuna though unfortunately :( xxx
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Possibly a smoothie? a banana will raise your potassium levels from sweating and because its liquid it wont feel so heavy when you go to bed. And depending on the soreness after your run, maybe add a little protein to it?
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Why would you have a protein shake before going for a run?!

Post workout grab a shake!

Therefore you are eliminating extra calories/carbs and keeping the benefit of the shake!
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Why would you have a protein shake before going for a run?!

Post workout grab a shake!

Therefore you are eliminating extra calories/carbs and keeping the benefit of the shake!

Really?! i didn't think it would matter when i had it? maybe i will grab some meat/fish and have before my run then and have protein shake after. it's just hard as i don't like to eat my dinner before my run as i dont like running with that full feeling in my tum!
  • Anonymou5
    Options
    No need to eat right before you go for your run, the post run shake will:

Repair your muscles
    Replenish your glycogen stores!

How long before your run is your last meal?
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    No need to eat right before you go for your run, the post run shake will:

Repair your muscles
    Replenish your glycogen stores!

How long before your run is your last meal?

about 8 hours if i don't have anything in between lunch and dinner!!
  • Anonymou5
    Options
    Too long, try and get a meal in before your run, perhaps 3 hours beforehand (slow release complex carbs) otherwise you will be tired.

Then after your run as I said grab a shake or have some proper food that will have some protein and some carbs to replenish your glycogen stores. (amounts will depend on your running intensity and duration)
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Too long, try and get a meal in before your run, perhaps 3 hours beforehand (slow release complex carbs) otherwise you will be tired.

Then after your run as I said grab a shake or have some proper food that will have some protein and some carbs to replenish your glycogen stores. (amounts will depend on your running intensity and duration)

Ok will do! thank you!! :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So i have a protein shake before going for a run in the evenings. I get home late from work so i don't finish my run until about 9.30pm so i need something quick and easy to have after my run and something that wont sit in my stomach when i go to bed. Last night i had a huge turkey salad and it just felt too much!

Any one have any good high protein/low carb ideas? i have eggs for breakfast so do not want eggs!

thanks! xxx

You're not helping your run by eating protein. You might well be "hurting" your performance by doing so, to be blunt.

When you eat, more blood flows to the stomach to carry away nutrients. If more blood is flowing to your stomach, there's less blood to go to the muscles which need oxygen.

We have at least an hour's worth of glycogen in our muscles and liver. Glycogen is used in muscle exertion. If you want to eat something prior to a run (and there's little reason because we have glycogen in our system) and have it help you during the run, eat something with a high glycemic index. HalHigdon, world famous marathoner and author, drinks a can of Coke prior to a marathon. Even pure sugar takes about 30 minutes to get into the bloodstream.

If you want to just have some food, something with a low GI, a bagel, for example, is popular but the low GI means it will take a while to get into the bloodstream (hours)

Post run, I drink chocolate milk. It's, apparently, "the" quick and easy thing to have. I was using NesQuik but just switched to Kirkland since it's higher in carbs and fat. I'll pop open one or two 8 ounce cartons (190 cals each for the Kirkland drink, 170 for the NesQuik). For more cals after the run, I'll eat bread (homemade), and Kirkland chocolate chip cookies (210 cals each). When it gets warm, I use a homemade recovery drink with sugar, table salt, and lite salt, which contains potassium.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dinner? Maybe eat dinner before the run and have the protein shake after?

If not, plain greek yogurt (with no added stuff) and stirred in fruit may be a good idea.
  • run344
    run344 Posts: 28
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great for high protein/ low carb!
    Despite what some people were posting earlier, I have actually heard that a protein shake IS good to have before a workout or run because calories/nutrients in liquid form get delivered to the muscles faster than they would in 'food' or solid form. I have heard this more for early morning exercisers who don't want to have to get up just to eat breakfast-I believe it was a Jillian Michaels podcast I heard it on-and she said to have a protein shake because it won't make you sick when working out and will give your body and muscles quick energy!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    john.jpg
    Milk was a bad choice...
  • Lizmhoughton
    Lizmhoughton Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I know you said you have a shake before your run, but I would reccommend the GNC Lean Shakes. I get the pre-made ones because they're easy for me at work and they taste really good. Maybe you should have the salad before your run and the shake after.

Calories- 170
    Fat- 6g
    Protein- 25g
    Carbs- 6g
    Sugar- 2g
    Fiber- 3g
  • tammisr32
    tammisr32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    celery and peanut butter...virtually no calories in celery, so double bonus:wink:
  • hillrl
    hillrl Posts: 2
    Options
    try 1/2 cup cottage cheese 1/2 cup greek vanilla yogurt.........with fresh blueberries or stawberries the protein\carb ratio is almost 50\50....20gmprotein to like 25gm carbs...very refreshing :)
  • rowerdc
    rowerdc Posts: 36
    Options
    hummus and carrots; or, PB on celery!