Ok to exercise after giving blood?

Options
Hello all, I'm new to the site and loving what I have seen so far! However, today is only day two of my regiment and I gave blood this morning. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how soon I could start working out again. I gave blood around 11AM and was hoping to do some light-moderate cardio around 6PM. Thanks!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, not a good idea.

My workaround was to work out immediately before giving blood. I got in my workout and tended to donate at a faster rate too.

I did try working out one day after a donation. I felt weak, tired and just had a poor workout. (It was a pilates/ body sculpting class.)

If you do try to workout tonight, just keep a close watch on your body and go with whatever messages it sends you. Every person is different. :flowerforyou:
  • jeff_lachapelle
    Options
    Thanks for thie quick response! I think I'm going to try just walking at a slow pace on the treadmill or maybe riding the bike slowly and see how it goes. I feel fine right now and I'm drinking a lot of fluids. I'm 6'0" 225lbs so I have a lot of blood in these veins! If I don't feel right, I'll just quit. Thanks again.
  • jeff_lachapelle
    Options
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think a light workout (walking or biking) probably won't make you feel too badly. You just want to give your body a chance to recoup.

And thank you for donating. :flowerforyou: Before my friend's father passed from cancer, he had to have all 8 pints transfused over the course of a few weeks. Without someone like you donating, he wouldn't have had his final year with his family.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    The last time I was able to give blood (iron) I walked a few hours afterwards. It wasn't anything crazy, but I felt fine doing the walking.

Just pay attention to your body and if you feel dizzy, lightheaded, or just off, take it easy or stop.

Good for you for giving blood!
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gave blood yesterday and did my normal workout after. I was fine other than a bit of dizziness from running on the treadmill. I think strength training may have also contributed to the huge bruise I know have on my arm. I think like everyone said above....just listen to your body. I was hesitant to go to the gym at first too but I'm glad I did!:flowerforyou:
  • jeff_lachapelle
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses! I figured I'd post a message post gym session. I did 15 minutes on the bike and 15 minutes on the arc trainer pretty hard and I felt fine. Now that I'm home I feel a bit tired though, which is probably from sleeping 5 hours last night (thank you Red Sox), not giving blood.