Remind me how normal this is...

Options
HMonsterX
HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
The last three years I've been able to do with my time pretty much whatever i wanted, whenever i wanted, 16-18 hours a day. So my mind is in that place.

Now, I've started work again, and suddenly have to get up "early", and only have a few hours to myself each evening. I know this is called being normal, having a job, everyone does it...but it still feels weird! I'm like "OMG how do people do this every day, every week, for years and years and years?!"

Tonight was a good example. For the last 2 years, badminton on wednesday was chill out before, then go, stay late, then have 5-6 hours before bed. NOW its work all day, rush around getting there, then when i come home I've barely got 2 hours before bed, then its back to work again!

Remind me!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You obviously do not have children.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    No, i dont, thank god. Thing is, the mature part of me knows I've been time-spoilt over the last 3 years, and what I'm doing is what 234235435 people do every day. I'm just trying to adjust to it!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Aaah you've discovered the joys of the working day....You'll get used to it and will start to juggle your time so you still fit in all you want to do, just give yourself time to get used to your new timetable
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Ugh I know how you feel.

I get annoyed at how little time I have in the evening so I end up going to bed late sometimes. Then having to get up at 6am makes me uber tired and miserable... but I won't go to bed early when I get home as I see it as wasting my free time... arghhh.

The bit I enjoy most is using my holiday allowance for rubbish things like sorting the car out / dentist etc
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Life is the thing that happens inbetween work and sleep. You've just got to squeeze in as much of it as you can....
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha. please save this thread so you can look back on it after you have children :wink:
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha. please save this thread so you can look back on it after you have children :wink:

yeah

i locked myself in the bathroom with the radio on for 20 minutes today. MOST FREE TIME I'VE HAD IN A MONTH.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    Ya plz do I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old and the only free time I have us when I'm sleepin but I still get woken up 2 times a night. I think ur lucky maybe embrace ur free time instead of complain
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You obviously do not have children.

HAHA.. that was my first thought as well!

I imagine it's hard going from doing things on your own time frame to having to stick to a schedule. Hopefully, you get used to the schedule soon and it feels normal again.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I remember those days, mostly grad school. I had ridiculous amounts of free time (I was supposed to be doing research), and got paid $600 a month just because, and my tuition was all scholarship. The only bummer was tests and not getting more than $600 a month.

Then I got a job, got married, had 4 daughters, and since 1989 my life and free-time has been non-existant. Only 23 years later with the girls old enough to take care of themselves (theoretically) do I start seeing free time. I usually spend it trying to get reaquainted with my wife (who works harder than me, end of discussion) and most recently I am trying to regain my health and fitness (which my wife has made it clear that she is not impressed with the current me, and wants the "me" she married back again).

Welcome to reality and remember your ultimate responsibility is to be a taxpayer......
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I get annoyed at how little time I have in the evening so I end up going to bed late sometimes. Then having to get up at 6am makes me uber tired and miserable... but I won't go to bed early when I get home as I see it as wasting my free time... arghhh.

THIS is what i needed to hear. So glad im not the alone in feeling like this! I hate going to bed!