Calling all fitness nerds!

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help.. Keep it coming!

When you say lift heavy, I may sound dumb by asking this but is there a good way of building up? I wouldn't even know what is a good weight to start on =/

I have no clue and I would hate if I went to the gym and tried to lift stuff and ended up breaking something =/

Have you considered working with a trainer for a couple of sessions to get you started? They can show you how the machines work, help you with form, get you comfortable with the weights, etc etc. There's only so much help MFP can give you.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options

When you say lift heavy, I may sound dumb by asking this but is there a good way of building up? I wouldn't even know what is a good weight to start on =/

I have no clue and I would hate if I went to the gym and tried to lift stuff and ended up breaking something =/

Have you considered working with a trainer for a couple of sessions to get you started? They can show you how the machines work, help you with form, get you comfortable with the weights, etc etc. There's only so much help MFP can give you.

"New Rules of Lifting for women" is a good refrence if you are looking to stregnth train. You should be able to get it from your local library
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    bump.. great info
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Here is what I think you're saying... correct me if I'm wrong

Monday: 1 hour @ the gym (lifting?) and a class
    Tuesday: nothing
    Wednesday: nothing
    Thursday: nothing
    Friday: 1 hour @ the gym (lifting?) and a class
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: "major workout" (not sure what that means though

Is this because of your schedule? Are you packing everything into 3 days for a reason?

Not quite, more like

Monday: Gym for 1 hour
    Tuesday: Class
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Gym for 1 hour
    Friday: Class
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday gym for 1 hour+ and maybe class as well

My main issue is I'm not sure if its enough/too much and what to do in the gym. I'm a complete newbie.

I depends on what your overall body appearance goal is. If it's just to lose weight, the biggest focus needs to be in your diet. If it's a balance of tone, you look like youre on target, pending what you are doing at the gym. If its definition of your muscular structure, you need big focus on your diet macros and MORE gym time.,
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Generally, if spot training, you would group your days using push/pull muscles.

Day 1 - Chest and triceps (Push exercises)
    Day 2 - Back and Biceps (Pull Exercises)
    Day 3 - Legs and Shoulders

Chest, back, and legs are your main muscles that you are working on the day. I usually do 4 exercises for chest and back and 5 for legs (Approx 3 sets each @ about 8-10 reps). The secondary muscles (Triceps, Biceps) only need 2 exercises (Approx 3 sets and 8-10 reps). Since they are secondary muscles they are getting worked out when working the main muscles, coupled with being small muscles, they really don't require that much additional work.

Shoulders I do 4 exercises (3 sets, again 8-10 reps).

The exercises can be whatever you want, do a google search and you will find hundreds of options. As for lifting heavy, it really doesn't matter. Make sure that whatever weight you are doing is enough that by your last or second last rep you are at max effort (and as close to failure as possible). If you have a spotter you can up your weight to ensure that by your last rep you hit failure and require a spot (these last coulpe of reps, the most painful ones, is where the gains are made).
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options

You seem really unsure of yourself on where to even begin and coming here for that kind of advice will lead to a lot of conflicting suggestions. In your case I would look to hire a personal trainer to go over your specific goals and time availability to design a personalized program. Also he/she can help you with important details we can't like form, intensity, load, etc.

If you do this, just make sure to take your time and find a good one.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I think I might have to hire a personal trainer.

I'm pretty clueless with it all. But still if people could keep posting their routines I'm sure it will help me in the long run :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Also, don't be afraid to get in there and start doing something. A lot of this is about feel and process. Do something for a few weeks and see how you feel. If you feel good, keep doing it. If not, try something else.

No amount of research/advice is going to guarantee you success... a certain degree of trial and error is expected.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    hmm..lets see: based on how you want to work out

Monday: Gym for 1 hour
    Tuesday: Class
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Gym for 1 hour
    Friday: Class
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday gym for 1 hour+ and maybe class as well

I could do something like this

Sunday - Strength training at the gym
    Monday - cardio routine (elliptical, walking, treadmill)
    Tuesday - Class
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Strength training at the gym
    Friday - Class
    Saturday - Rest

tho I perfer this:

Sunday - Cardio
    Monday - Strength
    Tuesday - Class
    Wednesday - Cardio
    Thursday - Strength
    Friday - Class
    Saturday - Rest

And

Eat less to lose fat, eat protein to repair muscles, & sleep at least 8 hours

Good Luck

I'm not sure if I'm disagreeing, or just clarifying, but...

If body fat is her primary goal, heavy lifting should be a bigger part of her routine than the 2 days you suggested.

Eat less to lose weight.
    Eat more protein + lift heavy to maintain muscle

Maintain muscle + lose weight = loss of body fat.

I was merely trying to keep her "class" days but incorporate strength (lift) days with the proper amount of rest time in between. Her post was not specific as to what she did in the gym. But yes, I do agree, she needs more strength to burn the fat.

NROL4W rocks! As well as Chalean Extreme.