Replies

• shelbi1998
    shelbi1998 Posts: 3
    Options
    its true and hope you send me a frnd rqst
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Ive read a lot on the group but it doesn't seem right to me that my BMR is 2670, tdee is 3370 and that on days I am active I should be netting at least 2670. My brain is spinning.

That does seem a high BMR, but leaving that aside some of your confusion is caused by the mythology of "not eating below your BMR" which you hear hereabouts.

If you're sedentary your TDEE is 20% above your BMR and if you take off 500 cals for 1 pound a week (hardly life threatening !) most people are below their BMR. Your BMR above is so high that 500 off 3370 is actually above BMR as is a 20% cut to 2696.

If you're trying to lose a decent amount of fat then a 500 calorie deficit is sustainable for a good while.

It is impossible to gain clarity here, as people try to "help" you use the site by telling you how to use different methods, bit of a train wreck really. No wonder you're confused.

Certainly everyone is going to have a different opinion. Quite frankly, I don't think your numbers seem that high at all. I am a teeny boned little thing and I am just over 5' 3" and I weigh 129.6. My BMR is 1380 and my TDEE is 1780. I aim to eat that everyday and could and have easily gone over. Once you set your goals custom in MFP, only add your exercise to keep track of it, not to eat back those calories. Honestly, the eating more to weight less is working for me. I just lost another .2 today and that makes 2 pounds in two weeks after a 5 week plateau so I'm happy with it :) The same thing does not always work for everyone but you won't know unless you give it a shot. Then there are others that just like to argue!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I say it depends where in the stages of weight/fat loss you are. You can eat below your BMR and your body will just adjust to a lower calorie intake and slow your metabolism down. But I have also seen studies that suggest no metabolic slow down, even on a LCD, as long as you have adequate strength training as noted in the study below. What I always suggest is, figure out your TDEE and cut 20% and don't worry about it. Even if your BMR slows down, it won't be dramatic.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to look up the group, just go to www.scoobysworkshop.com and find his calorie calculator

I did that, it suggested I ate below my BMR. I have no problem with that anyway, but it wasn't what I expected it to say.

This surprises me VERY much! Do you know you body fat percentage to do his 'worlds most accurate calorie calculator'?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your BF%, how active you are, what your goals are. etc. But I don't think that everyone needs to NET their BMR. I think you should at a minimum eat your BMR. But if you have a high bf% you have a lot more leeway on what your NET should be.