Girls - make-up help please - foundation!!!

Options

Replies

• awadm
    awadm Posts: 252
    Options
    I've been using Sephora's mineral powder foundation and loveeeeee it. I've also used and love Mac's powder foundation. I would suggest either one :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have combo skin and I love MAC Studio Fix Fluid. They have a very wide range of colors to choose from. It is also very common to get samples before commiting. Go to the counter and ask them to color match you and ask for a sample. The best way to tell if it is a good match is in natural lighting. Go outside and see how it looks. It should match your neck.

It is considered a medium to full coverage foundation but can be sheered out too for light coverage. I suggest getting a small dense brush for application like the MAC 109 or 130 brush.

Prepping the skin is just as important. They sell an oil-control lotion that my friend swears by. I like to dust silica powder over my foundation for maximum oil control. MAC sells this too (it's called Prep and Prime loose) but you can get the ELF version for $3 at Target. It's called High Definition Powder.

As far as powder goes, I love love love MAC's Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (MSFN). It's light coverage and looks very natural and radiant on the skin. I use it to set my liquid foundation, or just on its own when I'm in a rush.

As you can tell, I'm a makeup hoor. Feel free to PM me if you need more recs. I can go on and on, but I don't want to freak anyone out lol.
  • claricecollins
    Options
    I have oily skin too and the MAC mineral foundation is great for a matte look. Just make sure you spray your face with an oil control spray after you put it on. I use the Urban Decay one :)

Another thing that I like is the Chantecaille SPF 15 tinted moisturizer. That works like a dream and is great when you're in a hurry :)
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour or Revlon Colorstay are the only two that won't budge on my face, as far as drugstore foundations, and I have very oily skin. If the coverage is a little too heavy, because they are more more of a medium coverage, you can apply them with a damp sponge.
  • onmyway1101
    onmyway1101 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love makeup and I have tried quite a few products... Mac, clinique, sephora, bare minerals.... My favorite is Estee Lauder double wear!!!! Ihave used it for over 3 years and I always get compliments on how flawless my face looks.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour or Revlon Colorstay are the only two that won't budge on my face, and I have very oily skin. If the coverage is a little too heavy, because they are more more of a medium coverage, you can apply them with a damp sponge.

Oh yes! Revlon CS is amazing for oily skin! I wish I had a color match =(
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Get a primer to go under foundation. Two Faced makes a great one...and Revlon makes a good one for a lot less. It keeps everything from sliding off.

Pick a foundation that's a mousse or cream instead of liquid.

Neutrogena makes a great oil free skin clearing powder that sucks up oils and prevents/treats breakouts. Concentrate the powder and primer around the T Zone (chin, nose, forehead) where you get the most oil production.

Apply both primer and foundation with a damp sponge using a stippling motion so it stays light not a mask. And try not to go too matte.

I have worked with a great make up artist on outdoor photo shoots in the summer when everyone is hot sweaty melty and oily and these are her tips.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    mary kay has all sorts of shades and solutions. i am very partial to the tinted moisturizer...liquid foundation (luminous or matte wear), creme to powder, mineral powder...lots of different options. PM if you want to see my e-catalog :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    BEST FOUNDATION EVER- Everyday minerals. No joke. You MUST try this. Ever since I found it about 4 years back I haven't used anything else, and I am the type of person who likes to try new things and switch up my products...

I have combination skin and the same type of undertone as you. I use their Buttered Tan in Matte. But they have A TON of shades, and explanations on who it is best for. They offer FREE samples (up to 7 different shades at a time) and all you pay is like $3 for shipping, which is fast. They have different formulas depending on what coverage you want. And, there are no fillers, all 100% minerals. This stuff covers so well and lasts all day. It's just an amazing product.

Plus, on top of all that, a jar is only $13. That lasts me about 3 months, and I use it everyday. I don't need concealer or powder with it either. It's just amazing. I highly recommend this to everyone.

http://www.everydayminerals.com

O, and you do NOT need a primer with this. It is long-lasting all on it's own. Bare Minerals has a filler that can cause irritation (like it did on me). This brand has no fillers. And again, the price!! Way cheaper than anything recommended so far.
  • pinkleah456
    pinkleah456 Posts: 34
    Options
    MAC Primer, Estee Lauder Double Wear and MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - I have oily skin and swear by these products!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    Options
    I started using Matte Chance Mattifying Lotion from Meet Mark products. its a pre foundation lotion. I also wash my face with cetaphil for oily skin twice a day. I love bare minerals matte powder as well. You need to do trail and error with different things over periods of weeks to see what works best for your skin. don't over clean your skin...that is my best advice.

Here is a link to the lotion, try it out and see if you like it.
    http://shop.meetmark.com/shop/product.aspx?pf_id=40819
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    I like MAC. Usually depends on the season. If your skin is oily, try a powder, dry or for winter, foundation.
    The more $$$ you spend, the better the product. Keep trying different ones from diff companies.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I used to use bare minerals and for some reason it started to really irritate my skin. My face felt itchy all day. So I recently switched to just a Cover Girl pressed powder foundation and so far it is working pretty well. Only thing is that I bought it at the drug store and it is hard to color match.
  • tori_grr
    tori_grr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Clinique even better, I usually end up picking foundations that are to pink or orange. Clinique is the first one I've actually been happy with plus I feel its minimized some of my scaring that I have on my face. It really helps even my skin out. As for oily skin I can not help. Also get a really good foundation brush I can't believe how much of a difference a brush makes vs your fingers ! Good luck :)
  • KellyS_86
    KellyS_86 Posts: 25
    Options
    Try going au natural. If you have oily skin, your skin could probably use a rest.

Great idea. Don't clog up those pores that may be trying to clean themselves out. I would recommend the Neutrogena oil free moisturiser (AMAZING STUFF) and mix that with an foundation that boasts a 'matte' finish for your own tinted foundation!
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    Bare Escentuals (Bare Minerals) is fantastic!! I have used it for 12 years and will never use anything else. It's actually *good* for your skin. And since it's powder it works well for my oily skin. Besides their foundation (which you can choose from a ton of different shades to fit you best!) there is a product called "mineral veil" that can be put on top of your finished make-up to "set" it. I use this during the afternoon if I start to notice I'm looking a little oily... if you order from QVC (just search bare escentuals to find all of the products!) you can return it FOR FREE within 30 days I believe, even after you try it out! That's what I did when I first started with it, but never had to return it :) Hope you find something that works for you!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    the foundation you get doesn't matter as much is how you're prepping you're skin.

you need an oil control lotion or primer, and that will do the trick with just about any foundation.

I just made a skin prep and foundation tutorial, check it out if you'd like (I'm a makeup artist) Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1BOBkb-II&list=UUqw7jg39xq_MX3B0ZgR-Suw&index=1&feature=plcp
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also have greasy skin on my face from a greasy scalp and I just don't use cream/liquid foundations. I use a tiny bit of concealer here and there if I need it. Otherwise I stick to powder only and even then keep some of Clean & Clear's Oil Absorbing sheets in my purse.

I've tried Bare Minerals and liked it but was too expensive for me in the long term. I really like Coty Airspun Face Powder Face Powder, which can be found in drugstores and online. Light, airy, and plenty of shades -- even light enough for me.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I love Bare Minerals! Great coverage, and it doesn't look like you are wearing make up!

Me Too!:heart:
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    wow!! seems like bare minerals comes out top!! what are the shades like?? i often find foundations too pink/orange!! xxxx