Lean Cuisines/Quick Low Calorie Dinners

Options
jennt_22
jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
Hello Everyone :)

On this weight-loss journey I know an important aspect of nutrition is to keep away from processed foods. Lean cuisines however, are something I eat often because they are quick, easy, and usually between 280-350 calories. I'm in college so some nights when I have class I only have a few minutes to eat. I also don't have a ton of money to spend on ingredients to make dinner from scratch every night.

I was just wondering if anyone has still had success while eating Lean Cuisines for dinner. (I usually eat them about 3 to 4 times per week).

OR does anyone know of other quick meals like this that may be lower in sodium and more natural??? (I know that's the real issue with these). Dinnertime is where I always seem to struggle with what to eat!

Any advice on what else I could eat for dinner that is quick and low in calories (and preferably yummy haha) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Amy's brand makes a lower calorie lower sodium line of frozen dinners. I can't remember the name but it's some like Light & Lean or Quick & Lean.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Once a week I have my husband grilled up a bunch of chicken breasts. We then chop it up and portion it in bags and freeze it.
    I use these during the week to make fast dinner salads. Cobb salad with bacon and egg, or santa fee salad with black beans and corn.
    This is quick, easy and low in calories.
    I stopped eating Lean cuisines because I am already over my sodium everyday, that amount might kill me! j/k
  • christy0623
    christy0623 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat one 5 times a week... they are easy for me to pack for lunch :) I have lost 13lbs and am in maintenance mode :)
  • African_Goddess
    Options
    I'm a nurse so, all of my lunch and dinner meals are Lean Cuisine because I don't have time to cook on my work days, but on my 2 off days I try to eat clean, o and I drink almost a gallon of water everyday. I also stay within my sodium intake.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat them 1 to 2 times a week (when I am too lazy to make something to bring to work for lunch) and I am down almost 40 pounds since January. Calorie deficit is the most important thing. But I would try to eat them as rarely as possible.
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do. I know it's not popular, but I eat them 4-5 times a week also. I usually add something to it like a small side salad or veggies and finish off with a greek yogurt and I will be full for some time. I think so long as it's not EVERY meal you should be ok.

Most importantly, listen to your body. If you are feeling sluggish or swollen, try eating a quick salad (bagged with vinaigrette, cherry tomatoes and feta) and it will clean you right out.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat Healthy Choice for lunch at work. I buy a weeks's worth when they are 5 for $10. I also lost weight with Smart Ones. Its probably not ideal but I think its better than fast food :P
  • amandamotley
    Options
    I like the Kashi meals, though they could have more protein. I tend to cook twice a week or so and then eat leftovers for lunches or dinners. Or freeze half for crazy weeks.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I know it's not ideal.. but I eat them for lunch 3 or 4 times a week sometimes.

I've still had success losing weight though.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I eat them every now and then but I only like certain ones. Try to find the ones lowest in sodium is hard though. I have tried lately to just bring food or leftovers that I have from home instead of the processed stuff.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the Healthy Choice Steamers all the time and I lost weight. I stopped buying them because it was getting a little pricey. Now my girlfriend and I pick a day every couple of month and cook a lasagna, a casserole, some soup and a chili, portion it into meal sizes and pop them in the freezer. If you use the recipe builder on here you can tailor any recipe to make it healthier and to meet your nutitional/caloric needs for the day.
  • msjta
    msjta Posts: 51
    Options
    I purchase them when they are on sale for 5 for 10. i only eat when I am running late in preparing my lunch. I also add a side salad to fill me up. I try to drink at least a gallon of water on the days I eat one.
  • nic2612
    nic2612 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Jenn :) Usually I try to stay away from the Lean Cuisines and instead eat Amy's. Everything is organic and vegetarian, and I've found that they taste much better too! Amy's makes a few "light and lean" meals that I think are all under 300 calories, but even some of the other regular meals are still pretty low calorie. For example, one of my favorites is the Cheese Enchilada dinner with black beans and corn, and it's only 370 calories. The light and lean meals tend to still be high in sodium, but they make some low sodium meals too.. they're regular meals though, so you just have to be conscious of the calories. Hope this helps!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican and Chinese food, so I keep those types of lean cuisine in my freezer to keep me from binge eating at a local restaurant. I also buy the healthy choice steamers for a quick meal. I usually make all my food from scratch and eat relatively clean, but my husband is out of state and while I could make a million excuses for not cooking myself dinner... I am too lazy and have never cooked for one. If anything they help me remember portion control and while they are healthier than eating out- I wouldn't say they are as healthy as when I cook.