96% of restaurant entrees exceed USDA limits

Options
MassiveDelta
MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-05-16/not-so-healthy-meals/55029368/1

It really is disgusting that more places dont at least have more offerings for people that are more health conscious. Ive been doing this for a while and not only is it hard to find something many times when you give special instructions or ask questions about an offering you get attitude from the wait staff.

Not everyone wants to suck down your salt cube with fat pellets on the side!

This is what surprised me the most.

Entrees at family-style restaurants on average have more calories, fat and sodium than fast-food restaurants. Entrees at family-style eateries posted 271 more calories, 435 more milligrams of sodium and 16 more grams of fat than fast-food restaurants,

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Hopefully people understand that if you want to eat healthier then eating out at restaurants is not going down the right path generally, and restaurants are not responsible for your health, you are. rant over.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Hopefully people understand that if you want to eat healthier then eating out at restaurants is not going down the right path generally, and restaurants are not responsible for your health, you are. rant over.

That makes no sense. Of course based on this information its not healthy. We all know eating out isn't healthy. But I was very surprised by some of the things in the article. More importantly and I what I was getting at is why restaurants dont see the negative effect of there menus. I know its all about the sales and the $$ flavor sells but as many of you know you can have very flavorful meals with out being unhealthy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options

That makes no sense. Of course based on this information its not healthy. We all know eating out isn't healthy. But I was very surprised by some of the things in the article. More importantly and I what I was getting at is why restaurants dont see the negative effect of there menus. I know its all about the sales and the $$ flavor sells but as many of you know you can have very flavorful meals with out being unhealthy.
    I know what your saying, and I agree it would be nice to have places where you can find comfort in the fact that health is prioritized where portion size and ingredients are per a guide line that most people can easily disseminate, but that is unrealistic. Personally when I compare the average USA restaurant with other Countries I've travelled to like Thailand, Japan, India, Italy, France etc it seems that value for the average American is based in the size of the portion and cost of that portion....basically the larger the better. Like I said, we can't blame a restaurant for our declining health, we need to be responsible for what we put in our mouths. There's been nutritional information for over a decade on most fast food places and obesity is climbing constantly.....do we sue Mc'Donalds for our overweight condition, because that would be the result of a nanny state.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    what, so I should go eat fast food instead?

I refuse to believe that because fast food may be lower in calories that this pseudo food is better for me than grilled fish and veggies at a restaurant.

Calories DOES NOT = health.

Low calorie foods can be processed beyond belief and some very nutritious and healthy foods can be high in calories.

it is all about making good decisions. OF COURSE the super laden pasta is worse for you than a lean piece of meat and veggies. It is all about being informed and knowing that fresh, natural foods are better than "low calorie" processed foods.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Doesn't surprise me much. Since starting on MFP, I've still gone out to eat quite a bit, and looking up the nutritional values for these restaurants was a bit crazy. I try to keep my calories roughly on-target when I go out to eat, but I just ignore the fat and sodium on those days. They're off the charts. Went to Applebees with my wife a few weeks ago and ordered some sort of pasta (blackened chicken, I think it was). 3500mg of sodium in a single meal.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I really wish there were more restaurants that made "cleaner" food. I just don't like that the menu's make it "look" healthy but its actually smothered in butter and grease. It doesn't even have to be LOW CALORIE!! Just fresh, clean food not loaded with sodium and stuff!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    what, so I should go eat fast food instead?

I refuse to believe that because fast food may be lower in calories that this pseudo food is better for me than grilled fish and veggies at a restaurant.

Calories DOES NOT = health.

Low calorie foods can be processed beyond belief and some very nutritious and healthy foods can be high in calories.

it is all about making good decisions. OF COURSE the super laden pasta is worse for you than a lean piece of meat and veggies. It is all about being informed and knowing that fresh, natural foods are better than "low calorie" processed foods.

According to the study fast food would be better for you over all. Not just caloric intake but sodium levels and fat as well. Im not condoning it...I haven't eaten a fast food burger since Jan of 2010. Im just saying how sad it is that fast food is actually better if oyu look solely at the numbers
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Sodium and fat do not make something "more unhealthy", by the way. You need every macro in moderation, unless a doctor has advised you to cut back drastically on something.

You can just ask at a restaurant to get your chicken grilled, or get you fish grilled, or no sauce, or no bun on your burger etc... You can ask for anything. Just because they give you attitude doesn't mean you're somehow defeated and have to eat whatever's on the menu.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It's possible to be in great shape and not do anything the USDA recommends.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Honestly, when I go out to eat, I'm not looking for healthy. Yes, I make sure it fits into my calorie limit for the day, but if I wanted a salad and some grilled chicken breast, I'd stay home. When I go out, I want fries, or pasta, or burgers, or shakes. I'm not looking for healthy...I'm looking for delicious, because I know one meal won't ruin my week. And, they always give me what I was looking for :)
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Of course sit down restaurants are going to have more, they aren't really comparing apples to apples. A tiny sad mcdonalds cheeseburger is, of course, going to have less sodium, fat, calories, etc than some one pound burger with deep fried onions, mayo and what else on it. The size of the courses, alone, will make that difference.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Entrees at family-style restaurants on average have more calories, fat and sodium than fast-food restaurants. Entrees at family-style eateries posted 271 more calories, 435 more milligrams of sodium and 16 more grams of fat than fast-food restaurants,

Pretty ****ty article. As for the thing I'm quoting, who cares about more fat and more sodium? Sure, more calories, but this only becomes an issue if this is a constant affair. The meals at a restaurant aren't unhealthy per say. The context is more important. How often is one eating these meals? And how often are they exceeding their calories? Then it become unhealthy. But to blatantly call restaurant food unhealthy because it has more sodium, fat, and calories than fast food is absurd.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Tbh, I'm not going to restaurants with the expectation that it should be healthy. For me, eating out is a treat, usually for celebrations.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It's possible to be in great shape and not do anything the USDA recommends.

Great point! Isn't the USDA the same idiots who said it's ok to put pink slime in ground beef?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I've gone to restaurants many times and have gotten a medium sized steak, baked potato, broccoli, and a salad. I'm still 100% free of testicular cancer, last time I checked.

And I do check with some frequency.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    As far as the fast food arguement goes...

Yes...I'd guess a standard cheeseburger is probably lower in calories than your average steakhouse steak...but a standard cheeseburger (not talking double quarter pounders here people...) is also a hell of a lot smaller than your average steakhouse steak...

The issue with fast food is you get the cheeseburger...a big thing of fries....a 22oz soda...and before you know it you're sitting at 1200 calories for one meal.

And there are restaurants that have this same issue...I can't even go to claim jumper. Almost every entree they have is between 1000 and 2000 calories. But for the most part I can eat a hell of a lot healthier and stay full much longer from eating at a place like applebee's or black angus than I can at McDonald's or jack in the box.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    When I go to a restaurant..I try to make the best choices. That is what it is about. Choice. I don't expect it to be healthy every time. I considering going out to eat a treat and not something I do all the time.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The problem with most restaurant food is the GINORMOUS portions they give you, and the fact that they encourage appetizers and give you things to munch on before your food arrives. Pass on the appetizers, order sauces on the side, look for the low-cal options and remember your portions. I was surprised to see that my favorite GRILLED CHICKEN salad at Applebee's was over 700 calories because the dressing was made with mayonnaise and the plate is huge - I could never finish it without stuffing myself before anyway. I still order it and eat it - but I order a separate plate, eat only about 2/3 of it (and only about half the chicken), and use less than half the dressing. Cut it down to under 400 calories, and I can still eat my favorite dish whenever I want.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a friend about opening a resturant with healthy drive thru options. Organic, fresh food with no crap fillers. Sadly most people that would go to a drive through wouldn't be willing to pay what the entrees would cost to make. :frown:
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I go out to eat, I'm not looking for healthy. Yes, I make sure it fits into my calorie limit for the day, but if I wanted a salad and some grilled chicken breast, I'd stay home. When I go out, I want fries, or pasta, or burgers, or shakes. I'm not looking for healthy...I'm looking for delicious, because I know one meal won't ruin my week. And, they always give me what I was looking for :)

^This.

I *plan* for the Friday night pizza with extra cheese... the occasional Saturday outing to Five Guys.... an anniversary dinner at our favorite Italian place. I KNOW these places aren't the healthiest, and NO I do not look for the healthiest things on the menu when I go. Why should I sit there with a glass of ice water and a salad while I watch everyone else eat what I really want to have?

This article shouldn't surprise or inspire indignation in anyone... it's common sense.