Brooks, Asics, New Balance??

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks, but I have very high arches. I did not buy them because they were Brooks, I got fitted at a running shoe store and they just happened to be the most comfortable of what they showed me after analyzing my gait. They are actually pretty hideous looking (silver and aqua!!), but really comfortable when I run
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    I love my Brooks - but I am a big believer that everyone is different. Each stride is different, foot type, how much you run, do you have any joint issues, over or under pronating, etc. I highly recommend going to a running store, having your stride analyzed (this is typically free) letting them make some recommendations and then trying on as many as it takes to find the one that feels best for you.

I fell in love with my Brooks when I tried them on. I literally felt like I had a bounce in my step. They fit so well, had so much cushion and support in all the places I needed it, I wanted to run around pouncing on people. I didn't. But I wanted to. :wink:

Don't worry about brands or price, each brand has it's hits and misses. And there is lots of money to be saved when I brand comes out with a latest version of something, you can get great shoes that just a year ago were close to $200 for $70 now because they are coming out with an updated version.

Good luck!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have always worn Reebok and I have very flat feet....They are the only tennis shoes that are comfortable right out of the box.

I don't run but walk and do the eliptical a bunch.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I adore my Asics, but I don't have flat feet (though I do have pronation)
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Fleet Feet or a another shoe store that does a running analysis but I would recommend it if you can find one. Fleet feet does it for free. They put you on a treadmill and video your feet from behind to see how your feet strike the ground. I don't have flat feet but my arches collaspe inward quite a bit when I run. They recommended Asics Kayano's for me and I immediately noticed a difference with less knee and lower back pain now that I have the proper support.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have orthotics from my chiro for my flat feet, i always run in asics or new balance. and usually get fitted at a runners store
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I have a runner friend who swears by Brooks. I wear New Balance with no problem...reminds me that I need to go buy new shoes soon.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    You really need to go to a running store and get fitted. Its more about the fit then the brand. Through my years of running I have tried Saucony, Brooks, ASICS, Nike, New Balance and once I got properly fitted I just gave up on worrying about the brand. Besides, they only make each model for so long and so even if you find the perfect shoe you will end up needing to get fitted again.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have fairly flat feet and always loved Brooks, until I tried Mizuno. Love them. Make sure you go to a running store and get fitted because even among the same brand they make different shoes for different levels of pronation. I have the Mizuno Wave Nirvana. Have had 2 pair and they rock!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have a completely collapsed arch and I bought Brooks after being fitted by a professional. Best shoes I have ever owned! They are pricey but so worth it, especially if you continue to run.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    New Balance!! Plus they are still made in the USA...jobs.

^ This.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have Asics BECAUSE I have high arches - that being said... I agree with everyone else. Get fitted. I never have because to my knowledge, no where in my town offers this service. I stick with the brand that has always worked for me :smile:
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You should go and get fitted for a proper shoe at a running store.

I hear Asics are a great brand...but when I went to have a gait analysis I ended up with a pair of Brooks.
    The shoe picks you.

This was me exactly !!

My daughter has flat arches and pronates badly, she loves Saucony Hurricane shoes , they have the 'arch lock" in them
  • Marvalm3
    Marvalm3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have Asics and love them, they have a lot of support. My fiance swears by his Brooks because they are more cushioned. Depends on the person, I guess!
    We both used to wear Nikes, and have found other brands to be more comfortable in the toe box (no pinching).

Good luck!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    New Balance!! Plus they are still made in the USA...jobs.

^ This.

New balance tend to be too wide...It's like they are made for fred flintstone feet.... :angry:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I have brooks as well. They really are fabulous sneakers. I went to Runner's Alley. They were great, watched me walk barefoot and also run in my own sneakers and then brought me out sneakers after assessing my stride etc. They are fabulous. I need new ones though, they are a couple years old.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You absolutely should go to a running store and get fitted. If you want to save money, find out what shoe is recommended, then go online and see if you can find them cheaper there...but everyone is different, so any advice you get here isn't going to be all that helpful for YOU.

Good luck!
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!! Part of my problem is I live very far from a real running store that has people who know what they are doing & can do a gait analysis. I definitely overpronate. I love New Balance, that's what I have used since I walked my first marathon. But, now that I am running, my arches are starting to hurt a bit...

I do LOVE that New Balance are made in the USA, this coming from a small manufacturing company owner!! We need to promote our own products!!! (OK no more from me on this!!)
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I have newbalances and also extremely flat arches, they're fantastic.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics, while my mom is a New Balance loyalist. Shop around - it's all what feels best for you!