Brooks, Asics, New Balance??

Replies

• phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Love, Love, Love my Brooks Ghosts...I have a neutral step and they are so comfy...feels like I'm running on air!!! :huh:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    The Best Women's Running Shoes for Flat Feet
    Comments Jan 19, 2011 | By Marnie Kunz Marnie Kunz has been an award-winning writer covering fitness, pets, lifestyle, entertainment and health since 2003. Her articles have been published in "The Atlanta Journal-Constitution," "Alive," "The Marietta Daily Journal," "The Hillsborough Beacon," and "The Paper." Kunz holds a Bachelor of Arts in creative writing from Knox College.

If you're a flat-footed runner, you may have trouble finding shoes that offer the arch support you need. For women who have low arches, a variety of running shoes can offer you support and motion control features. The best running shoes for your foot type can help prevent injury and keep you running happily for many workouts to come.

Arch Anatomy and Function
    The arch of your foot extends through the inner, central part of the bottom of your foot. Your arches affect the degree of pronation, or rolling motion, that your feet and legs go through when you run or walk. If you have low arches, you most likely overpronate, which means your foot rolls inward more than most when striking the ground and pushing off. Overpronation is a common problem that can lead to injuries such as shin splints and tendinitis, as well as throw off your hip and back alignment.

Running Shoes for Flat Feet
    If you have low arches, you can help prevent injuries by wearing running shoes with plenty of arch support and motion control. A variety of women's running shoes offer these features, giving your feet extra cushioning under the arches and helping to restrict excessive pronation. Also seek out shoes that are high in stability, recommends The Running Advisor website, as well as shoes with a straight instead of curved shape. These running shoes may appear more boxy than other shoe models, but they offer extra support and guidance for your feet when you run.

Considerations
    In addition to searching for running shoes for your foot type, you should consider other factors. The amount of distance you run, the type of terrain you run on and any history of injuries you may have should all come into play when you select your shoes. If you regularly run on trails, for instance, a trail running shoe with motion control features and arch supports would be ideal, as trail running shoes offer more cushioning to absorb the shock of running on rough surfaces, as well as extra side support to keep your feet upright despite uneven terrain. If you normally run for a few miles on a treadmill, on the other hand, you can choose shoes that are more lightweight, as treadmills offer extra cushioning. Long-distance runners such as marathoners should choose shoes with plenty of cushioning in the bottom.

Women's Running Shoe Models
    Most brands of running shoes offer a women's model with stability and arch support. Some women's shoes for flat-footed runners include the Nike Zoom Structure Triax, Brooks Adrenaline GTS 9, Mizuno Wave Inspire 5 and the New Balance 1224. If you still need help locating the right shoes for your foot type, visit your local running store to talk with knowledgeable salespeople who understand running.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/360873-the-best-womens-running-shoes-for-flat-feet/#ixzz1v9UZ7lqy

because you have such flat arches...maybe you should go with new balance...
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    I have flat feet and a bad back and I am a runner and I ONLY run with New Balances!!
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    My 1st pair of running shoes were Asics...I went had had a stride test done at a running store ..Now that i know what kind of shoe I need, Stability, I'm ordering online but I'll likely stick with Asics because they have done me well so far
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    New Balance!! Plus they are still made in the USA...jobs.

Some are, not all. You can tell by the price being significantly higher than their other shoes (and the 'Made in USA' signs on a select few of the products).

I agree in supporting US jobs, just saying you gotta pick careful if you want to do that, AND that NB is not 100% domestic.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    i use brooks but i have HIGH arches, so not sure if they would work for you.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    I am currently wearing Asics Gel Kayanos and I love them. Before this, I was wearing Brooks Adrenaline and I loved them too. What I noticed was that while both shoes offered great support and stability, the Asics had slightly more cushion.
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    New Balance!! Plus they are still made in the USA...jobs.

Some are, not all. You can tell by the price being significantly higher than their other shoes (and the 'Made in USA' signs on a select few of the products).

I agree in supporting US jobs, just saying you gotta pick careful if you want to do that, AND that NB is not 100% domestic.

That's understood, it's hard to find any big companies that are all domestic! That's why I wish we had politicians that would support small business more & would help try to give incentives for companies to keep more jobs here...
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    The Best Women's Running Shoes for Flat Feet

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/360873-the-best-womens-running-shoes-for-flat-feet/#ixzz1v9UZ7lqy

because you have such flat arches...maybe you should go with new balance...

Thanks for this info!!
  • AimeeCarolyn
    AimeeCarolyn Posts: 34 Member
    I'm a fan of Brooks, but if you're able to find a place that will accurately help you find a running shoe that works better for your type of foot, then I highly suggest that!
  • I Love my Brooks!! I got fitted at a speciality store, and I also added very nice insoles for my arches. Best athletic shoe ever!! Didn't even really have to break them in, very cushy :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Mizuno! I have low arches and have found a great fit in the wave rider 8 s. Go to their website and take the test, it's very thorough and will match you up to the perfect shoe!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    New Balance all the way!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Love my Asics
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Make sure you go up a size, too. That makes all the difference in the world. And I think its why my sister lost 3 toenails training and I lost none.

My last favorites were Saucony.. but the new model changed and didn't work, so last time I got fitted, I went with asics. It was between a pair of those and a pair of brooks. My husband wears brooks... But they really do all fit different, a running store is totally worth the drive. We are lucky to have a great one 10 minutes away.
  • Only Asics for me
  • EmptyCokeCan
    EmptyCokeCan Posts: 22 Member
    Saucony all the way. They are the only shoe that fits me without $$$ inserts and they hold up well.
  • bethmills1
    bethmills1 Posts: 2 Member
    I am a running coach in Plano, TX. I coach all adults for 1/2 and full marathons. I love the Brooks Pure Flow. I high ly recommend it. Of the three lines mentioned here I would go with the Brooks. Hope it helps.
  • bethmills1
    bethmills1 Posts: 2 Member
    I am the running coach that just replied to your other post. I run in Newton's also. I would NOT recommend them to you unless you plan to do some serious miles. Like marathon training. They are not a shoe to buy and start wearing. You have to transition yourself into them over time. They are great at helping you chance your running form and land mid foot instead of heal striking. Again, unless you are already a pretty active runner I would go with the Brooks Pure Flow before venturing into Newtons.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I wear Asics. I need a shoe with a deep heel cup because of my lift on my shorter leg, and extra shoelace eyelets closer to the foot in order to lace them up properly so they don't slide around with my lift and smaller foot.

However, the Asics do have a split last, stitched right in the middle of the arch, which can cause nasty blisters in the arch. You need to use a gel insert and probably anti-blister socks as well.