BMR

Options
Aprill42
Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
My BMR is 1468..what does that mean..lol Im just making sure that my net calorie of 1400 is good. I mean I have been losing and Im doing fine, but...just wanted to checkkkk since my VMR is 1468, whatever that means lol

Replies

• BigB1924
    BigB1924 Posts: 30
    Options
    It means that is the amount of calories your body burns every day just to function normally.
  • Aprill42
    Options
    So I should up my calories??
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yes, make sure you NET AT LEAST your BMR...A few more won't hurt.
  • BigB1924
    Options
    Well you have to take into account your life style. Your BMR is if you just woke up lied in bed and did nothing and then went to sleep. So all that is telling you is that you need at least that many calories a day. So I would suggest upping your calories.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Ive been wondering this same thing. So whatever our BMR is, is what our net cals should be set at?
  • DemonicWombat
    DemonicWombat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I might be off here, but shouldn't you operate at a deficit if you want to lose weight? If you're BMR is 1468 and you Eat 1468 isn't that a maintaining strategy instead of a losing one?
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    This whole thing is f-inf confusing. Mine says 1517 and i have my cals set at 1400 and i dont eat that everyday, and i m stuck, not loosing a pound in weeks. Am i not eating enough?
  • BigB1924
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories your body will use every day no matter what you do. Most people do not live a life style where they lie in bed in all day and so they will burn more calories then that. That is why most calculators will your lifestyle into consideration.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    If you eat at least your BMR, you will be fine. The BMR calculates the amount of calories you burn JUST LYING IN BED and doing nothing else. If you get up and take a shower, that burns calories.... if you walk to the kitchen, that burns calories. You need to calculate your TDEE and eat 20% less than that... but AT LEAST eat your BMR. Does that make sense? If you need to calculate your TDEE, go to www.fitnessfrog.com. Then take 20% off that, and that is what you should eat each day. But, no matter what, don't eat below your BMR. I was doing that and I hadn't lost a pound in 5 months... I started eating above my BMR but below my TDEE, and the weight is falling off now :)
  • BigB1924
    Options
    to lose a .5-1 lb a week you should be eating about 500 less calories than you burn a day.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I might be off here, but shouldn't you operate at a deficit if you want to lose weight? If you're BMR is 1468 and you Eat 1468 isn't that a maintaining strategy instead of a losing one?

No, because BMR is just the energy (i.e. calories) you use to keep your cells alive, i.e. the calories you'd burn if you were in a coma or spent all day in bed. Your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is BMR + activity calories. Even just walking around you'll be burning extra calories on top of your BMR. So long as you're eating less than your TDEE you'll be losing fat. There's a danger that if you eat too much less than your TDEE for a long time, especially if it's below your BMR), your metabolism will slow, and fat loss will slow down and may stall altogether. About 20% less than TDEE is good, and the advice not to cut your calories below BMR is also good advice, you need to ensure your body is properly fed.
  • DemonicWombat
    DemonicWombat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ahh I see. Thanks for the Info!
  • jade1108
    jade1108 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I eat below my BMR, hope I can still lose weight! wanting to lose 20 lb in 10 weeks :S x
  • GymRat45
    GymRat45 Posts: 5
    Options
    In this case the OP is at 1468. 1468 is what the OP would burn if they did absolutely nothing for 24 hours, like stayed in bed. That is a minimum of what their body will burn. Now add the daily's of life like walking and climbing stairs and stress and you can add a few hundred calories on to that.

3500 calories is one pound. If you can eat 500 calories a day less then what you need then you will lose one pound a week. Keep in mind that this is for the average person. Extreme over weight people will lose a lot more in the beginning until their body stabilizes.
  • Aprill42
    Options
    So, I should change my net calories consumed to 1468 (which is my BMR) and what is recommended for my burned calories. I dont know what to put in that mannually it stayed at 1440 from when I had my net calories at 1440
  • jabberwockgee
    jabberwockgee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So, I should change my net calories consumed to 1468 (which is my BMR) and what is recommended for my burned calories. I dont know what to put in that mannually it stayed at 1440 from when I had my net calories at 1440

From what I know, you don't necessarily have to eat your BMR. As long as you have body fat, your body can get energy from that if you eat less than your BMR.

Your BMR says how many calories you use if you do absolutely nothing all day. To figure the amount of calories you actually use in a day without exercising, you multiply by 1.2-1.9 depending on how active you are (I'm going to assume moderately active, which is x1.55). Further information here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

So your daily calorie needs are 1468*1.55 = 2275 (if you are mostly sedentary, it would by x1.2 = 1761).

On a given day, you can be 1000 calories under your daily calorie goal without going into starvation mode, so if you are moderately active, you could eat 1275 per day without being 'unhealthy'.

In my case, I assume the 'mostly sedentary' label, then log my exercise, since I only exercise on some days.

My BMR is 1905, so x1.2 = 2286, so I keep my goal at 1200 calories and don't mind if I go over a little. Then I eat back exercise calories if I exercise that day.

Edit: This is also if you want to lose 2 pounds a week, since 1000 calories per day * 7 days = 7000 calories per week = 2 pounds. If you're not trying to lose weight that fast, adjust the amount you eat under your daily calorie goal appropriately. I.e. to lose 1.5 pounds a week = 5250 calories per week / 7 = 750 calories under daily calorie goal.
  • GymRat45
    GymRat45 Posts: 5
    Options
    In my opinion 1400 calories a day is not a lot. I can not see anybody surviving off that very long before they fall off the wagon. I would suggest you go here and fill out the info.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm