Teens and exercise programs

Options
My almost 14 year old is very active soccer, swimming, track, volleyball etc. anyways she wants to 30 ds, turbo fire, insanity, something like those to keep in shape during the summer until school starts again....would you allow it or is it to much? I'm leaning towards " go for it"

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    14 seems young, but from the prospective of why she wants to do something that is usually for weight loss/control and excessive fitness. i would worry more about the mind-set than the physical aspects since she is obviously active. i guess my gut says "no." but would love to see what others think.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd say go swimming and do other FUN things with her that still keeps you active. She doesn't need to do any weightloss programs.
  • jessewessy1990
    jessewessy1990 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    personally something like 30ds would be perfect but insanity and similar things like p90x may be a bit too much but then again I don't have any research to suggest why not??
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    Shes not dieting and eats whatever I keep saying no but then I see why she wants too, to hot outdoors for her to hit track and the high school gym is closed.. Ugh don't know! Her reasoning to stay fit for tryouts come fall...
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Shes not dieting and eats whatever I keep saying no but then I see why she wants too, to hot outdoors for her to hit track and the high school gym is closed.. Ugh don't know! Her reasoning to stay fit for tryouts come fall...

maybe speak to her pediatrician and find out what he/she thinks from a medical point-of-view. just because she has good "reasons" doesn't mean you have to say yes. :wink:
  • xPaprika
    xPaprika Posts: 22
    Options
    I think as long as you know she's eating healthily and taking rest days when she needs them, then it should b fine. If it's just to be fit and she's normally really active during the rest of the year with sports, it makes sense why she might want to continue that.

That's my two cents at least, your call- hope everything works out well regardless : )
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Not much I can do 6 kids and had major wrist surgery almost 2 weeks ago...I keep thinking maybe a couple days of the week 3 with DVD and other days what ever bike ride, walks, swimming etc
  • jessewessy1990
    jessewessy1990 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bike riding is always a excellent way to keep fit! I love bike riding and always did as a teenager, purchase a camalbak to keep hydrated with ice cold water and would be just as good!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I weight trained at a gym 3x/week from 14+ and never had an issue. I also rode horses and swam (both of which were fun). Strength training gave me a good base to start from, and even when I don't do anything for awhile, I can go back to it (like I'm doing now).
  • shareejedlicka
    shareejedlicka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fourteen is not to young to get in the habit of exercising and being fit for life. Starting young makes it a "lifestyle". If she likes doing workout tapes to stay in shape, there isn't anything wrong with that. If she's doing it because she wants to lose weight, I would have a conversation with her about body image and see where she stands. She will actually have less chance of injury during her sports if she stays in shape over the summer. Sports are intense and physical so work outs/staying in shape can be intense and physical too, especially if that is what she wants to do. I think your mother's instincts are guiding you alreadyl!
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I say it is fine. Especially if she is into all those sports during the school year. From someone who "sawm" in the summer and hung around when you went back in the fall and had to do all those workouts... it was tough because you didn't stay in good condition in the summer. As long as she is doing it to keep up her stamina and not to lose 5lbs that isnt there to lose why not?
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Shes actually been trying to sin but her metabolism is to die for lol she's not trying to lose at all but as a freshman she's trying out for varsity and jr varsity spots... Ugh my instincts pull me both ways I think I'll let her 3xa week and rest of week what ever even if nothing ( which she don't sit still lol)