Need to Break a Bad Habit...Please Help!

Options
Bad habit here that I need to break! Please give me some manageable suggestions!!!!

I'm out running errands and have a short window of time between the next time obligation...I'm driving by McDonald's and hear the french fries (major weakness) calling my name. I order the mini meal with a McChicken and small fries...lots of calories, not much nutrition!!! Sometimes it will just be a large fry and ice tea...talk about no nutrition!!!!

What have you done to deal with these types of situations?

Thanks for your input!!!!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I keep snacks that are healthy with me, basically all the time. Things like carrot sticks, celery, gronola bars, and fruits. I try to plan ahead and pack a lunch. If I am prepared, then I have no excuse to stop and spend money on fast food. If I have to stop somewhere I make it subway, filling and a better choice, I load up my sub with as much veggies as I can. Hope that helps :)
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Keep driving! You will try to come up with ALL sorts of reasons why its ok to stop by. If you want to stop this habbit I recommend taking a different route also (which might not work since there is a McDonalds everywhere!). Just keep saying NO and eventually I think it will get easier.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    protein bars in the glove box, protein shake, cheesestick, or piece of fruit on the way out the door.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Keep snacks in your car! Plan ahead and have a cooler with you.... nuts, cut up veggies, yogurt. I also find sugar free gum and a good slug of water will help. Figure out how long you would have to exercise to burn off that meal.. that usually discourages me. Hunger hasn't killed me yet, you are stronger than fast food. Everytime you don't give in it make the next time a little easier. Set yourself up with a reward if you can go one week without eating fast food.
  • e_trexler
    e_trexler Posts: 32
    Options
    Keep driving and keep a healthy snack (I love those veggie stix and find they satiate that desire) in the car.
  • favrow812
    favrow812 Posts: 28
    Options
    protein bars in the glove box, protein shake, cheesestick, or piece of fruit on the way out the door.

I agree with the protein bars in the glove box. I keep a Quest bar in my purse and in my car at all times!
  • syntax_terror
    Options
    STAY STRONG! there's no easy solution. everything that everyone has suggested, especially having healthy snacks, but the only way to resist temptation is to resist temptation. one thing that worked well for me was reading up on trans fats, artificial flavorings and sweeteners, and realizing that NONE of it is food.... the longer you stay away from it, the easier it gets. and the worse you feel if you happen to slip up and go back to it.

i used to eat fast food pretty much every single day. it's so tempting, especially when you're on the road a lot, to stop by the drive thru to pick up something quick.... but it's not going to do anything helpful for your body. the more you get used to eating real, unprocessed, delicious food, the worse that processed *kitten* is going to taste..... and eventually, one day, after weeks of not eating it, you'll have a moment of weakness, and you'll go to the drive thru, and you'll get a cheeseburger and some fries, and you'll eat it, and drink a soda..... and you'll feel so f'ing horrible afterwards that you'll never do it again.

at least that's how it happened for me. :) good luck bud!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    My purse always has a few options for bars, protein, fiber, snacks that I know fill me up decently
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I carry protein bars in the console of my truck. I also make sure I never leave home without water to drink them down with as well.

I used to do the same when busy till a friend of my told me to put protein bars in my purse!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Don't drive by McDonalds. Take the side streets.

Protein bars are life savers when it comes to needing a quick, complete, energy dense snack.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Keep snacks in your car! Plan ahead and have a cooler with you.... nuts, cut up veggies, yogurt. I also find sugar free gum and a good slug of water will help.

This is great advice. My dietician told me to do this. I'm in sales so I am called out of my office unexpectedly all the time. I pack a cooler everyday whether I think I need to or not.
  • mommyffrog
    mommyffrog Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! A trip to Trader Joe's is in my near future for protein bars! I have found that a lot of them taste like vitamins...are there any favorites out there? I will give them a try!!! (yes...I am tried of losing 10 pounds, only to gain it back again...I want to make it past that number this time...so I appreciate everyone's help!)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Don't do it tomorrow, just focus on that goal today. Repeat over and over again.

Plus keeping some smacks handy as others have posted.
  • Squeeee
    Squeeee Posts: 71
    Options
    The Special K sea salt cracker chips are an amazing substitute for fries, in my opinion. You get salt and crunch and the serving size is fairly large for a snack. Just make sure you bag up a single serving size to take with you instead of eating straight from the box.

Fast food is a hard habit to break. I've had a few slip ups (spicy chicken sandwiches from Wendy's are my weakness), but it does get easier to resist over time - especially if you're prepared. If you do slip up, don't let it derail you. Make it a learning experience and strive to do better the next day.
  • shell5211
    shell5211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I agree with the others that you should bring healthy snacks with you. But I also like to make or buy lower fat versions of foods I can not live without. I will sometimes package it up and take it with me. I try to eat it before the temptation starts. So maybe you can buy fries and make them at home with a healthy recipe. Good luck!
  • MaddieHard
    MaddieHard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I live with people who have terrible eating habits! They stock the house with tons of sugary foods and prepackaged snacks.
    I have a busy life so its hard for me to do the grocery shop.... but how do i avoid eating the junk in the house?
    And how can i stop myself from eating the same unhealthy foods my friends are?
    Thanks all so much!!
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    Lara Bars are really tummy!! I just had the peanut butter and chocolate, no weird aftertaste. They are all natural and really dense so they take a while to eat.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Might not help you, but I've learned just to stay away from those places ESPECIALLY McDOnalds. I LOVE their fries and nuggets, but every time I eat them I crave them more. SO I've learned just not to go in there
  • mommyffrog
    Options
    You've obviously done an amazing job of staying away...you've lost a lot of pounds!!! Inspiration for sure!!! Thanks!
  • mommyffrog
    Options
    I will look for these and give them a try! Thanks!