eggs whole Vs. whites

Options
I like to have 3 eggs whites and i whole egg with vegaetables for breakfast. My husabnd thinks I am being foolish and that doing that will ruin my diet. He believes that I am making the eggs have no nutritional value by getting rid of the yolk, I do eat one yolk though! He thinks its like eating empty food calories. What are your thoughts on whole eggs vs egg whites?

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love the yolk, it's like the best bit...not just because it's full of goodness but it tastes awesome!! Whole eggs all the way for me :-D

eta - unless, of course, there is a reason that you have to specifically limit your fat intake, when I was taking Orlistat egg whites were the only way lmao!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I couldn't be bothered to separate the yolk seems so petty, I LIKE the whole egg!!
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    There are no such things as empty calories. There are however, taste, texture and wise portions that add up to X calories.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i don't say this often but - listen to your hubby :D
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of good stuff in just the whites. And there's a ton of cholesterol in the yolk, which is why I do what you do - I eat three egg whites but only one yolk.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The white isn't empty food calories, it's protein, which is used for building and maintaining your bodies structures.

Your husband is correct in saying that most of the nutritional value of an egg (healthy fats, vitamins and minerals) are all in the yolk.

But if you're having 1 whole yolk a day, that's fine, you're at least getting some of the nutrients and a nice big load of protein too.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmm LOVE the whole egg!! (and no eating the yolk will not substantially raise your cholesterol - that has been debunked)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    The good nutritious part is in the yolk. You're not saving that many calories and you're losing the fats and nutrients. Fat doesn't make you fat. You need it.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    always whole!!! :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I love the yolk, it's like the best bit...not just because it's full of goodness but it tastes awesome!! Whole eggs all the way for me :-D

eta - unless, of course, there is a reason that you have to specifically limit your fat intake, when I was taking Orlistat egg whites were the only way lmao!!

I'm with her.

There's nothing in a whole egg that's going to hurt you, a lot that's good for you, and you'll save yourself some money by just eating two whole eggs, instead of 1 egg and 1/2 of three others.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    can I have the yolks to make ice cream?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I keep it at 3 whole eggs but anything after that I just add in egg whites only. The yolk of course has all the fat in it and the cholesterol so that's a good enough reason to trim down on those. Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. I should cut back on the egg yolks myself. Adding 1 in does add some fat to your meal which helps it digest slower but you're not missing anything skipping the other yolks other than calories from fat. Any vitamins lost could easily be made up from a multi-vitamin.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value is misleading, but I agree with your husband. The white has protein, the yolk also has protein but it also has everything else that makes the the egg one of the most complete foods on the planet. Nutritional value in whites as it pertains to a diet needs to have some context and if your overall diet is considered good and not lacking, then eating just the whites is a moot point, saying that egg whites as a breakfast food on their own is a waste of my time, taste and consistancy wise, in a meringue there tasty.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I buy egg whites by the gallon tub and drink them in milk (www.eggwhitesinternational.com) but I LOVE whole eggs!!

Depends on what rocks your boat! You're not being foolish though!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Re: cholesterol in the yolks. Theres no decent evidence that dietary cholesterol affects serum cholesterol (i.e. the cholesterol you eat doesn't change the numbers the doc tells you when you have a blood test). Except in certain sensitive populations (diabetics for example) in whom it is speculated that cholesterol is metabolized differently.

So there's only two sensible reasons to avoid egg yolk.

1) You want to save on calories (the whites have less than the yolks)
    2) Your doctor has told you to eat less cholesterol because you are one of the unlucky cholesterol sensitive population members
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Whole egg unless you have cholesterol concerns then talk to your doctor.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I keep it at 3 whole eggs but anything after that I just add in egg whites only. The yolk of course has all the fat in it and the cholesterol so that's a good enough reason to trim down on those. Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. I should cut back on the egg yolks myself. Adding 1 in does add some fat to your meal which helps it digest slower but you're not missing anything skipping the other yolks other than calories from fat. Any vitamins lost could easily be made up from a multi-vitamin.

Umm, what exactly is wrong with dietary fat and cholesterol?
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I think it is entirely up to you! Saying you are eating empty calories sounds like a load of twoddle though. If you want 3 whites and only 1 yolk, then eat 3 whites and 1 yolk. If you really like the yolks, maybe exchange 1 white for 1 yolk and just have 2 whole eggs.

I honestly think the nutritional difference between the 2 is going to be negligible in the grand scheme of things, so eat what you find tastier.
    Edit: or what makes you feel better about what you're eating - I totally believe psychology has a huge effect on success of a diet.
  • candi_donovan
    Options
    Both reasons why I have chosen egg whites! :smile: I still do eat one whole egg.

Re: cholesterol in the yolks. Theres no decent evidence that dietary cholesterol affects serum cholesterol (i.e. the cholesterol you eat doesn't change the numbers the doc tells you when you have a blood test). Except in certain sensitive populations (diabetics for example) in whom it is speculated that cholesterol is metabolized differently.

2) Your doctor has told you to eat less cholesterol because you are one of the unlucky cholesterol sensitive population members
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Both reasons why I have chosen egg whites! :smile: I still do eat one whole egg.

You could have disclosed these reasons from the get go. In this regard there are studies that show egg cholesterol actually improves serum levels and with hyper responers as well.