Are You stinky?!

Options

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Ok, this thread has really blind sided me. the fact that someone would even wish to discuss this struck me as unusual...but the reality that there are people who have little understanding of good personal hygiene is pretty frightening.

Just to even think of starting a ' how often do you wash your workout gear' makes me wonder..If I come across people with smelly underarms in the subway on the way to work, I do resist the urge to ask my colleagues how frequently they use deodorants.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    How often do you wash your workout gear?

How many times will you wear your gear before you wash it???

I am compulsive and wash my gear after every wear because I am paranoid and never want to be the smelly kid lol.... but some of my gym-mates STINK!

So confess - how long will you go between washings??? :huh:

Ohhhh my. you must be REALLY bored.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    workout clothes are worn once than washed....my hrm strap, hair headband etc are washed once every few weeks...
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wash everything I wear after each use EXCEPT my sports bra, which I wear 2-3 times. I paid a lot of money for that sucker, so I'm not going to kill it by overwashing!! I don't go to a gym, nor do I work out with anyone else around except my husband and/or kids. They haven't told me I stink yet!

same here. i wash everything after wearing except my sports bras. those suckers are expensive so i dont have enough to make it through an entire week without washing plus i dont want to wear them out. i will wear them 2x before washing. sounds gross, i am sure, but i have never been told i stink or had people move away from me. haha. and i workout with my mom some days and she is brutally honest.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You've replied here twice, so you must be equally as bored or intrigued....
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    hold up hold up hold up...if everyone is washing their workout gear...where is that smell of wet dog and onion rings coming from
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options

LOL - I AM!

But also....

My gym is at my job... I work in the government, and we have a gym in our building. So, all of my gym-mates are also my colleagues.

I am CONSTANTLY AMAZED at how many people I WORK WITH do not 1) wash their clothes, 2) clean their machines, 2) shower/wash in general!

These are people I work with, sit in meetings with, consult with on a daily basis... so yes, I think about this a lot! It weirds me out, and how do you tell someone who is higher ranking than you to buy some effin' deodorant and invest in some Sport Wash??!! Lol!
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes. But it generally doesn't matter. (I workout at home nowadays) Anyway, washing clothes after every use is a seriously waste of water Imho. Water I could be using for 30 min. showers! Lol jk my (daily) showers aren't that long.
    Anyhow, my sweat doesn't smell that bad unless I skip deodorant. There's a lot of it, but it doesn't (usually) smell that bad.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am like you and I wash mine EVERY time. But with that being said I do wear the same pants when I go walking probably 2-3 times before washing them. They are black and I simply throw on a t-shirt with them and head out. But the only person I go walking with is my husband and he hasn't complained yet so I'm gonna keep doing it this way. I do change t-shirts every day.
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have enough shorts/shirts/sports bras for a week of workouts, so they're worn and washed. The only time I'd wear something previously worked out in is if I forgot to do laundry . But those days I try to avoid the gym and just go for a run outside (and try to outrun the flies :laugh: )
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I have enough shorts/shirts/sports bras for a week of workouts, so they're worn and washed. The only time I'd wear something previously worked out in is if I forgot to do laundry . But those days I try to avoid the gym and just go for a run outside (and try to outrun the flies :laugh: )

lol at the visual of a jogger running from flies
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yes, panty liners don't ever work so I just tell people I've had trout or salmon for breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on the time of day.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wait until my workout clothes can workout by themselves and then wait a week.

It all makes so much sense now....
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I only wear my workout gear once before washing. It's generally soaked when I'm done. I've noticed that with the wicking gear, the smell lingers, even though I wash it after every use. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get rid of one of my favorite tops because it stinks. Not right away, but as soon as I get warm it starts to smell funky. It happened today. I just pulled it out of the dryer, wore it, and some guy who was exercising next to me moved. I hope it wasn't me, but I don't know...so it's got to go.

The answer is vinegar in your wash.
    I put vinegar in our bleach dispenser and add an extra rinse to get the funk out.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I have more workout clothing than I have regular clothes anymore. It gets one wear and into the laundry. I know some ladies recycle their sports bras but I just cant do it. Its sweat central up in there.
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    washing required after every use.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweater. I'm basically the opposite since I ALWAYS have to put lotion on daily ( and lay it on thick) to keep my skin from drying out. Consequently, my clothing (I wear dry fit) hardly get damp at all. I don't always have to use deordorant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweater.
    A cardigan? A ****y, perhaps?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I always wash my exercise clothes after I wear them.

Then again, I don't usually wear panties, and exercise raises my libido, so... well... let's just say it's probably best if I wash them.
  • jmkenny
    jmkenny Posts: 2
    Options
    Depends. The gym requires clean clothes, but if I'm working our by myself outside... Doesn't matter!