I keep going over on my Protein.. Is this ok???

Options
I've had no problems staying within my goals on calories, fat, and carbs, but when it comes to Protein I go over almost every night! I've always thought that protein was good at keeping you "full" longer... I do feel satisfied, but am worried that this could be attributing to my slowing weight loss. Any ideas??

I went over by 26 g protein today, and still have 229 calories left..

Replies

• Aloxander
    Aloxander Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well, I have done some research and apparently you should only be having 1 gram of protein for every lean pound.

This is a really cool website that helps you set your macronutrients

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm :wink:

You can also look for calculators to figure out your lean mass and have that amount of protein. I am set at 35 /35/ 30
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Have a drink and toast!

Im over EVERY day on protein and under on Carbs and Fat. I have lost over 40 pounds in 4 months. As for the slowness in weight loss...are you working out? lifting any weights? Muscle weighs more. Additionally, as you get closer to your goals, it gets a little more difficult. Make sure that you are within 95% of your TDEE (BMR+Exercise Cals - loss goal cals)
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    26 grams of protein is incredibly low. Try to get at least 100 grams a day.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    26 grams of protein is incredibly low. Try to get at least 100 grams a day.

They said over 26g not that they only eat 26g.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    It's great to go over protein, especially if it's set at MFP's standard 15%. I usually try to get at leat 120g a day.
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    Going over protein isn't that big deal and does the opposite of stalling weight loss, as it fills you up so you end up eating less.

I am to eat my weight in protein most days, but they say about 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. Getting 100g of protein a day is totally healthy.
  • taramarie123
    taramarie123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice! I just wasn't sure if I should be cutting back or not.. That being said, I'm going to continue what I'm doing:)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have found that the default protein goals on this website are too low. I shoot for about 128g per day. My settings are currently set to 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein.

BUT --- I seem to always be over my carbs and under my protein.
  • jformanek
    jformanek Posts: 3
    Options
    I saw this post and was wondering, I am watching carbs 50 or less per day, fat 30-40 and protein at least 105 and I have noticed while I am within my goals I am eating more than 105 grams of protein, yet I am really really hungry. Any idea why this is? I am eating about 125-140 per day.
  • taramarie123
    taramarie123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I saw this post and was wondering, I am watching carbs 50 or less per day, fat 30-40 and protein at least 105 and I have noticed while I am within my goals I am eating more than 105 grams of protein, yet I am really really hungry. Any idea why this is? I am eating about 125-140 per day.

Are you drinking enough water?? I find that drinking keeps me from feeling so hungry:)
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    Up your fat a bit more to increase satiety, but with good fats like nuts, nut butters, avocados etc. Also drink a lot of water! My fat is usually above 70 g a day and I still lose constently
  • xButterflyEffectx
    xButterflyEffectx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have more trouble staying under sugar. Two pieces of fruit and bam!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I have more trouble staying under sugar. Two pieces of fruit and bam!
    If the fruit is raw, dont even bother reading that into. The Sugar calculations are more for processed sugars in foods and juices.