Showering makes me sick

Options
LilacDreamer
LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
Literally.

I get really nauseous every time I take a shower. After about 10 minutes, the nausea hits and sometimes I even feel like I'm going to pass out. I attribute it to how the heat effects me, but it's really bad sometimes. like just now i felt like i was going to vomit,or die. Our shower gets too hot, and we keep it on the lowest temperature (80*)...but this has happened for like 8 years, maybe? Long before we moved in to our condo.

Does anyone else have a problem like this?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried a cold or lukewarm shower? How about a bath?
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    do you think there's something in the water?
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    Have you ever tried a cold or lukewarm shower? How about a bath?

I can't tolerate cold (hashimotos disease), but I have taken lukewarm showers before. Unfortunately the shower in our condo only has 1 knob that rotates to the right...starts in the off position and gets hotter the more its rotated. It also has a temperature regulator that starts at 80 degrees. We leave it on 80, but I wish the regulator would go lower than 80.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    do you think there's something in the water?

Well we live in New Jersey now, but it started happening when I lived in New york.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me sometimes and since it would only happen when I showered and not when I did a sit down bath, I finally figured out that water was getting in my ears and throwing my equilibrium off. I would get so nauseated that I had to sit down in the tub and I felt like the room was spinning.

It may seem like you're keeping your head dry, but any TINY amount of water can do it for me. See if you can find some of those ear plugs for swimmers and see if that helps at all.

Best of luck.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    You dealt with this for 8 years? You should see a doctor to see if there is something to help with this. Have you tried a bath in just relatively warm water?
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    lol.............stop wasting water and get out after three minutes MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me sometimes and since it would only happen when I showered and not when I did a sit down bath, I finally figured out that water was getting in my ears and throwing my equilibrium off. I would get so nauseated that I had to sit down in the tub and I felt like the room was spinning.

It may seem like you're keeping your head dry, but any TINY amount of water can do it for me. See if you can find some of those ear plugs for swimmers and see if that helps at all.

Best of luck.

Yup! This^^^
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My showers rarely take longer than 10 minutes.

Do you have a detachable shower head?

I don't yet but, when I get one, I am pretty sure mine will take longer and, well, I might get pretty *ahem* dizzy after a while.

If you have a detachable shower head, maybe you should switch to a regular one if it is causing health concerns.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Wow. I did used to have that problem daily for years before I lost weight. I would dry heave every time I took a shower. I thought I was dying. I have not had that problem since I've lost weight. Weird. I thought I was the only one.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Did you have a bad experience with water as a child?
  • dee492
    dee492 Posts: 28
    Options
    sounds like a vagal problem....take a cool shower. I dont know, it is strange that it has been so long that you have dealt with this. The thyroid can do funny stuff too and since you have Hashimotos ....HMmmmmmm???? Sorry I dont know
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I get this when I take hot bath's when I stand up to get out (getting up slowly even) I get really light headed and dizzy and have to sit down again while the tub is draining...

I have Reynaud's syndrome (cold intolerant), but have never felt nauseated like that in the shower... Maybe talk to your Endo about it...see if they have some good input. Sounds odd to me.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    sounds like a vagal problem...
    So, it only affects women? Interesting.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If you have Hashimoto's... well you'll have trouble controlling your core internal temperature as you have a thyroid disorder. Do you also find that if you get too cold you can't get warm? Or at other times that you get too hot and feel like you're burning up and can't get cool? If not it's maybe something wrong with the shower, if so what has been the solution for me (Grave's disease) has been taking supplementary selenium. What medical advice did you get?
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Do you close your eyes in the shower a lot? Both my sister & I get wicked nauseated when we close our eyes while showering - no idea why, but we've both been like that as long as we can remember.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get light headed in the shower and it makes me feel sick, especially when I get up from taking a bath to switch to a shower. It used to happen to me when I'd wake up and everything would black out for a few seconds. I have no idea why though. Usually sitting down for a few seconds helps.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    It used to happen to me when I'd wake up and everything would black out for a few seconds. I have no idea why though. Usually sitting down for a few seconds helps.

This happens to me all the time. It's called orthostatic hypotension - when you switch body positions your BP drops. To help, you should move slowly between standing and sitting and vice versa. Sit on the edge of the chair or bed for a moment before you rise. No sudden movements!

On another note, one time after taking a hot shower, I went blind for like thirty seconds...it was super freaky. But I have low blood pressure generally speaking (100/60, 95/60 ish) so I attributed it to that. Maybe you have low blood pressure like I do. But I would definitely ask your doctor.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    My showers rarely take longer than 10 minutes.

Do you have a detachable shower head?

I don't yet but, when I get one, I am pretty sure mine will take longer and, well, I might get pretty *ahem* dizzy after a while.

If you have a detachable shower head, maybe you should switch to a regular one if it is causing health concerns.

:laugh: Hahaha!!

I have one. :bigsmile: