Work food

Options
Hello all, I am making a shopping list and i was wondering if you guys had any input on what I should buy. Fruit and veggies obviously. But what are some things that are never out of stock in your cupboards? I need some stuff to take to work...stuff I can throw together or put in a microwave/oven. I work in a residential facility for adults with special needs...we can eat what's left over from dinner/breakfast...But it's usually surprisingly unhealthy....Here's some key things I bring to work on a reg

Hummus
pitas
special k snacks
healthy choice dinners
baked potatoes
smart balance butter
key lime mousse temptations/jello
turkey burgers
cheese sticks
fruit/veggies
deli meat/cheese
bagel thins (110 cal kind)
cereal
salad stuff

any other suggestions? I'm getting bored.

Replies

• nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt - 80 cal
    7 raw almonds - 45 cal or 15 for 90 cal.
    Baby Bell Light cheeses - 50 cal.
    Atkins protein bars.
    A tablespoon of peanut butter on a low carb tortilla wrap.
    Sugar Free Jello or Jello Temptations (10 cal, 60 cal)
    50 cal cans of diced peaches or mixed fruit
    Atkins or EAS Carb Control shakes.
    If you can go out for lunch ask for a salad with a grilled chicken breast on it.
    Get low cal dressing on the side or bring some 0 cal Walden's Farm dressing.
    About all I can think of for now. (I don't cook much.)
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Those are all great suggestions to bring to work.

Granola or protein bars
    Pretzels
    If you have fridge space, or insulated lunch tote I'd go for some greek yogurt, or any lowfat yogurt
    I love creamy 365 peanut butter, and apricot preserves, or grape jelly
    I also have tried to make my own trail mix, pecans, raisens, and maybe some chocolate chips, or pine nuts, or walnuts.

SmartOnes, I think it's from Weight Watchers, has a frozen small bag as an entree, I think, it comes out to about 300 or so cals, and it's a complete meal, I've tried their pasta & meatball one, and it was really good, and they had another one with chicken and broccoli that's also good tasting as well.

I'm curious to hear what others say, I sometimes can't think of anything to bring with me.
  • juggalotus
    juggalotus Posts: 227
    Options
    Good suggestions! Although, I am not a fan of yogurt. So gross haha...Turkey bacon can be another one since it;s already "cooked" technically....I am IN LOVE with the mousse temptations as well. I always have those!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Salad with low calorie dressing, add in tomatoes, cucumbers, low cal Parmesan cheese if you want
    Rice with lots of veggies and some beans (I prefer romano beans) for protein
    Mashed potatoes (no butter though! just lots of spice)

I avoid things like cheese and bread (sooo many calories in those!) for lunch. Yeah it tastes good but it is totally not worth it for the calories.

I always have one of the above three things (salad, rice, mashed potatoes) as a "main" thing for lunch, with a fruit (apple, pear, peach, whatever I want) and then either another fruit (smaller one, like a few strawberries or a kiwi) or veggies (zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower - usually cooked up from the night before). It fills me up!
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I keep dehydrated curry lentil soup and dehydrated split pea soup at work. i buy them in bulk. Whole Foods and most health food stores carry it. High in protein, simple good ingredients, super filling, add water, let it sit a few minutes and yum.

Other stuff: cans of soup, rice cakes, almonds and fruit.