Showering makes me sick

Options

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    'LOL, 10 minutes in the shower?!' What a dumb thing to complain about.

I have OCD and even on days when I'm in a super hurry and I tell myself 'You have five minutes. Ready...GO!' I hurry and hurry then jump out and look at the clock: still 15 minutes. The earth may want me to conserve water, but my brain wants me to wash all my bits symmetrically.
  • GAJulie
    GAJulie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your dr, but here's an idea. I think it's called a Navy Shower. It helps save water too. Get wet, turn off the shower, then wash, then turn it back on to rinse off.
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    'LOL, 10 minutes in the shower?!' What a dumb thing to complain about.

I have OCD and even on days when I'm in a super hurry and I tell myself 'You have five minutes. Ready...GO!' I hurry and hurry then jump out and look at the clock: still 15 minutes. The earth may want me to conserve water, but my brain wants me to wash all my bits symmetrically.

I have OCD as well and a lot of hair on my head to wash....I usually takes 10 minutes because I have to keep rinsing to make extra sure lol.....STUPID BRAIN!
  • callmeabeast
    Options
    I have that problem when the water is too hot and I haven't ate anything or I've taken medicine!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its DR time.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    sounds like a vagal problem...
    So, it only affects women? Interesting.

vagal...as in the vagus nerve. Both men and women have a vagal nerve. It goes from your brain down to the abdomen. if it is acting up, it can cause you to pass out, etc...
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    A shower that's longer than 10 minutes is long?

Yeah, seriously? Maybe it's an extended period of time for a man, but as a woman I have a lot of hair to wash and condition, legs to shave, a body to exfoliate, etc. Plus, hot water on a sore body recovering from lifting is ahhh-mazing.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    this used to happen to my mom...turns out she had super low blood pressure at the time.
    i would definitely talk to a dr. something like this shouldnt continue for 8 years.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't get nauseous but for some reason showering makes me hungry

(then again that might be cos it's first thing in the morning before breakfast)
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    have you ever looked into that you may have an anxiety disorder? feeling panic and going to vomit or the feeling like you are going to die, throws a red flag for me. bring this up to your general med dr.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sounds like a vagal problem...
    So, it only affects women? Interesting.

vagal refers to the tenth cranial nerve, which deals with the central nervous system.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It happens every once in a while for me. But why don't you just take shorter showers?
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I get that as well. I feel light weight and nauseous being in a hot tub or steam room as well. So I don't do either for too long... My husband LOVES both.

I think it's a ears getting wet thing. Hopefully you can get it fixed. Showers are awesome!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I didn't expect so many responses...lets see if i can respond to the ones I remember off the top of my head...

1) I do not have a detachable showerhead. We have a rainfall showerhead that we probably should replace but that requires some work/time/money

2) I take long showers because I have a lot of hair. It is fine, but it is also thick because theres so damn much of it. I really don't see why I am explaining the length of my showers to people telling me I'm using too much water. There is no 1 person on the earth who does not use something in excess, so looking down on someone for water usage is a little petty. People who live in glass houses...

(Please note: This is not directed to those of you who suggested I shorten my shower time without criticizing me for wasting water)

3) I typically have normal blood pressure, but there have been occasions where it has been on the lower end of normal or even just "low" but that isn't usually the case.

Sitting here trying to remember every comment isn't easy but i'm much too lazy to go back and quote everyone.

4) When I take lukewarm showers I don't think its happens as often...but i haven't been able to really take one in at least 2 years (since we moved into our condo).

5) I DO have anxiety but this has nothing to do with a panic disorder, panic attacks or anything of that nature. That is actually very different from these symptoms, and how this feels.

6) I was diagnosed with Hashomoto's 10 years ago and yes I still have my thyroid. The only thing that has changed has been my levothyroxin dosage (increasing or decreasing as need be, currently at 150mcg)

7) Yes there are times that I feel so cold and it makes no sense because the temperature isn't even remotely cool. My husband is always hot and it pisses me off because i freeze all the time.

8) I do close my eyes pretty often when I shower, but that is mostly because I have insanely bad and painful dry eye. I believe its because of hashimoto's, but i do anything i can to keep water out of my eyes (and I used to LOVE being underwater with my eyes open, so that sucks a lot). Not that its relevant, but my eye moisture drys up in 7 seconds... where as the average persons eyes stay lubricated for 16 or 17 seconds - that info is courtesy of the eye doctor i saw a couple of years ago.

9) Any experience that I had with water as I child did not phase me enough to effect how I feel in the shower. I did almost drown in a pool when I was little, but I barely remember it and I was fine bathing and even swimming after that.

10) I've never considered the fact that it might involve my ears, but i do seem to get a lot of water in them...I remember being diagnosed with "swimmers ear" a long time ago, and ages before that a doctor mentioned fluid retention and ear tubes, but nothing ever came of that. So that might not be out of the realm of possibility.

11) I think I got everyone...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    10) I've never considered the fact that it might involve my ears, but i do seem to get a lot of water in them...I remember being diagnosed with "swimmers ear" a long time ago, and ages before that a doctor mentioned fluid retention and ear tubes, but nothing ever came of that. So that might not be out of the realm of possibility.

I had six ear surgeries as a kid for tubes, and while I'm mostly better now, I still some problems with getting water in my ears. If I'm swimming it's fine but I can't go too far under the water otherwise it hurts. So that might have something to do with it especially if your problems weren't corrected.
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I saw that sometimes you get really cold. I'm not saying this is the problem, but that happens to people who are anemic. I am chronicly anemic, have been for about 10 yrs. I'll get so cold sometimes that I can barely move because it hurts so bad. When that happens (and this isn't a joke), I go to the tanning bed with a blanket, wrap myself like a burrito, and lay in the tanning bed to warm up. Works like a charm everytime. Especially when nothing else corrects it.

I also said that you have dry eyes really bad. Have you looked into Sjogren's Disease? I just googled that and Hashimoto's Disease, and it looks like they have a few common syptoms. Maybe check into that if you haven't already?

I've gotten so sick in the shower a few times that I passed out. Not sure what causes it, but if I feel myself getting too sick, I lean against the wall and slowly slide down til I'm sitting, it seems to help a little. Then I feel better after a few minutes. I wish I knew how to help you. I hope you figure it out :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this personally. Maybe see a doctor about it?

That or bathe yourself chinchilla style.
  • GAJulie
    GAJulie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    (just wanted you to know OP...I suggested the Navy shower where you turn the water off while you're washing, so that you wouldn't have the hot water streaming on you the whole time making you feel nauseated. The saving of water is just an added benefit, not saying you shower too long) I was just trying to be helpful;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    do you think there's something in the water?

Well we live in New Jersey now, but it started happening when I lived in New york.
    I would attribute the nauseousness to living on the East coast. Move west.....:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gracielajenkins92
    Options
    Hi There!:) I have the same problem and for me it's a mixture of the heat and dehydration. When you take a hot shower or even a warm shower for an extended amount of time it causes your blood pressure to go up which can cause you to feel sick. I made this situation worse by not drinking enough water. Try taking a shorter shower in luke warm water I hope this helps, if you're still having the problem, haha best of luck!