FitBit Information

Options
2»

Replies

• mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I got mine on eBay for $70.. BUT it's not a HRM. It's a fancy pedometer. Tracks steps, distance, activity level & sleep. The FitBit ultra tracks stairs (mine is the classic). I love it. I wear mine 24/7.. I'm really, really thinking about getting a HRM to go along with it.

^^ Me too! Love my FitBit (I have the Ultra), but I need an HRM.
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit at Best Buy for $99 and got a $10 gift card with purchase. I have had my fitbit for a full week and LOVE it; however it doesn't track heart rate. I looked at both HRM's and fitbit and even though it is just a glorified pedometer it works for me. I walked an extra 500 steps and climbed my basement stairs 3 times today just because of what the numbers were saying.
  • JenniferRT66
    JenniferRT66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Ultra, and saw absolutely nothing wrong with LilacDreamer's comments - I didn't detect any rudeness or mean-spirited "tome" at all. It's true, it is a fact, that the Fitbit isn't a HRM. However, it's a very cool activity tracker, measuring steps, speed, distance, calories burned, and floors climbed. I have a HRM, but not one that tracks me all the time, it's just a bare bones model so I can check my heart rate during a workout...I don't use it to track calories all day. The Fitbit suits my needs just fine.

Even though Fitbit isn't a HRM, it's still one of my favorite gadgets - I don't leave home without it! Had to turn back on the way to work one day, I couldn't bear to be without it!
  • Deltafliers
    Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit myself, and one other thing I don't see here in which part of the confusion may be is:

The Fitbit is not a HRM; however, it does calculate how active you are. By using stride length, distance and time, it calculates calorie burn ACCORDING to MET's. If you have ever used the Wii Fit, this is the exact same method.

Although the Fitbit is a great gauge for activity level, it is NOT a HRM, which Means that if you use exersice equipment such as a treadmill, elliptical, or take classes such as yoga there is No Accuracy what-so-ever.

I love my fitbit for what it is, and it has helped a great deal in my weight loss goals, but if you are looking for accuracy then you need a HRM.

:flowerforyou:
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Off the topic of OP but hoping someone can answer this....will the Fitbit recognize activity while biking? Not sure since it isn't steps. Loving biking but hate walking so not sure if the Fitbit would be of benefit for me.
  • Janeeemonettt
    Janeeemonettt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I bought mine off Amazon.com for $80...no tax or shipping.
  • Janeeemonettt
    Janeeemonettt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Off the topic of OP but hoping someone can answer this....will the Fitbit recognize activity while biking? Not sure since it isn't steps. Loving biking but hate walking so not sure if the Fitbit would be of benefit for me.

Yes, i workout on a stationary bike and leave it on my waistband and it still recognizes it.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Okay, Lilac Dreamer - it does monitor your heart rate. I have a friend in Zumba classes with me who wears a FItBit during class and it monitors her heart rate. I'm a teacher, so I'll use this on you: if you have nothing nice to say (or if your tone isn't nice) then just don't say anything at all.

To the others here: thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for lowered prices on Amazon, and I'll check out Best Buy!

I'm disapppointed that the OP hasn't come back. Iirc, schoolteachers also teach students to apologize when they've behaved inappropriately, so I would like to see a demonstration.
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Yes, i workout on a stationary bike and leave it on my waistband and it still recognizes it.

Thanks!
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I'm disapppointed that the OP hasn't come back. Iirc, schoolteachers also teach students to apologize when they've behaved inappropriately, so I would like to see a demonstration.

^^ Agreed.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Agree so lurker come here and apologize!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I was wasting time until I could leave work because, really, who wants to work at work? :tongue:

For what it's worth, I've had my fitbit for over a year and LOVE it! I didn't start to consistently lose weight until I started paying attention to its numbers. It probably helps that my exercise consists mostly of walking but I have a hrm for anything else.

And their customer service is awesome! A staff member or two pays attention to the forums over there and will answer questions and when I first got my fitbit, it died two days in. I emailed asking if there was anything I could do and they automatically send me a fedex label and told me to send it back and a new one was on its way. I haven't had any problems with the new one even a year later (and I've been very lucky I haven't lost it or thrown it in the washer because that's something I'd totally do!).
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Thank you, to those of you have commented and essentially called the OP out for her unwarranted rudeness. I'm honestly not expecting her to respond and I surely don't think I would ever get any sort of apology. With that kind of know-it-all attitude, I'm quite certain she feels as if she is above reproach.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I found one on ebay for $80 :D
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wow .... the OP really showed herself up there. LilacDreamer no one else thinks you were rude. ...... doubt OP will comment on the thread again, but she should. Unless she's 'teaching' her children that there's no need to apologise when you are in the wrong, but I've bumped it just in case :laugh:

*places bag of popping corn in microwave*
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options

^^ Agreed.

I Second This!!! Lilacdreamer I agree with you and she should apologize :) and i do love my non HRMish Fitbit :P and enjoy its steps, and stairs, and sleep trackers.
  • notspeedy
    notspeedy Posts: 2
    Options
    I wear my fitbit on my bra and it does not measure anything when riding a stationary bike. I enter my miles and calories burned. Since the program I use can either be hilly or flat the calories would be way off when riding hills.

I do love my fitbit even with a few inaccuracies.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

^^ Agreed.

I Second This!!! Lilacdreamer I agree with you and she should apologize :) and i do love my non HRMish Fitbit :P and enjoy its steps, and stairs, and sleep trackers.

Haha well I agree, she SHOULD but she won't. :)