Wow...my new running NSV!

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
Earlier this week I posted about my first 5K being this weekend and my running wasn't going well. I did w7d1 successfully (25 minutes straight) but then on days 2 and 3 I floundered. I was only able to do 15 minutes at a stretch. I decided I was overtraining and decided to only walk the rest of the week to rest before the race.

Well today I felt better. Stronger. Recouperated. So I decided to run tonight. Actually I decided to do 5K and run what I could and see what my time was. I was hoping I could do the 25 minutes. I felt good and was going slowly. Heart rate was good. I kept going. I finished my 5K. And I ran for 35 minutes straight!!!! I'm slow - averaged 4.5 mph while running. I walked the first 5 minutes and the last 3 min 45 seconds. My time was 43 minutes 45 seconds.

Now on to Sunday!!! It would be awesome if I could be below 40 minutes in my first race!

Replies

• pinklily905
    pinklily905 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    that is magnificent!
  • Ms_Lassie
    Ms_Lassie Posts: 24
    Options
    That is brilliant!! Don't worry about being slow - you did it!!

I finished th c25k a couple months back and still can't get the 5k under 30 mins. Not sure that I ever will, but I'm proud of what I have achieved all the same... As you should be too! =D
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So awesome and it really is inspiring me! this can be done! thanks for sharing!!!!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!

And 5ks should be fun. Don't worry about how fast or slow you are going, do what works for you!

And before you know it, you will be blowing past everyone

Great job!
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! That's great. Rest days are so important. Our bodies need them to rebuild all that is being torn down during training. Way to go! Good luck on your race - You can do it!
  • riverabeth
    riverabeth Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I just finished week 7 day 2 this afternoon! I'm still a little nervous about signing up for a 5k race, but everyone on here is very encouraging, would love to find one soon. Best of luck w/ your race, you should feel so proud!
  • fiftypds
    fiftypds Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K race last Sunday--35 min.--that's 10 minutes faster than my usual time--surprised myself! I'm sure you'll surprise yourself too! :happy:
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    So amazing...great job
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Awesome! I just finished week 7 day 2 this afternoon! I'm still a little nervous about signing up for a 5k race, but everyone on here is very encouraging, would love to find one soon. Best of luck w/ your race, you should feel so proud!

I signed up for this one knowing I wouldn't run the whole thing. Now I'm thinking, hey, just maybe! Either way it will be a HUGE victory for me.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome job! Sometimes it just takes a little rest...
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week I posted about my first 5K being this weekend and my running wasn't going well. I did w7d1 successfully (25 minutes straight) but then on days 2 and 3 I floundered. I was only able to do 15 minutes at a stretch. I decided I was overtraining and decided to only walk the rest of the week to rest before the race.

Well today I felt better. Stronger. Recouperated. So I decided to run tonight. Actually I decided to do 5K and run what I could and see what my time was. I was hoping I could do the 25 minutes. I felt good and was going slowly. Heart rate was good. I kept going. I finished my 5K. And I ran for 35 minutes straight!!!! I'm slow - averaged 4.5 mph while running. I walked the first 5 minutes and the last 3 min 45 seconds. My time was 43 minutes 45 seconds.

Now on to Sunday!!! It would be awesome if I could be below 40 minutes in my first race!

Amazing great job! I'm completing a version of C25K that's only 8 weeks and I'm due to graduate next week; but tomorrow is my 20 min run and I'll need to do it in the early afternoon in 80 degree hotness. Nervous, I usually run at sunset when it's cooler and I'm worried I won't have my longevity.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Heat kills me! My average heart rate is about 7 bpm higher when it's warmer. So I recommend slowing down!!
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!

I just did day 2 of Week 1 ..I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish before it gets too hot up here. Heat and me do not mix well at all. Who knows though I may be up and trying to run at 6am lol

I need an air conditioned running suit:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!