Do you really need 8 cups a day??????

Options

Replies

• mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point. The question is not, "Should we drink water?" We all know we should. The question is HOW MUCH. I find it hard to believe that a 5'1", 120 lb woman should be drinking the same amount of water as a 5'8", 220 lb man.

We don't say that those two people each need the same amount of iron, calcium, calories, etc. Yet someone came up with the magic number 8 for EVERYONE.

Fortunately, people realize that's an error. Here are some other trains of thought for determining how much water YOU need.

1. Multiply your weight by 2/3 (0.66). That's the number of ounces you need to drink each day. Then divide by 8 to find the number of cups you need. (Some experts believe this "drink" doesn't have to be water. ALL fluids count). "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because ALL FLUIDS count toward the daily total. -http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

2. If your urine is almost clear or very pale, you are probably hydrated.

3. If you are thirsty or constipated, you should drink (duh!)

Well put! I'm 6'3" 313lbs and I try to drink 8-10 cups per day!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The 64 oz a day rule is a myth. Drink if you're thirsty, no rules, no calculations, no bother.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The 64 oz a day rule is a myth. Drink if you're thirsty, no rules, no calculations, no bother.

I hear that! I try to drink my water! Not because I like it but because I know I need it and it is better for me than soda! And I live in Arizona!!!!!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    As far as peeing a lot goes. Once you get through the initial getting your body used to a higher water intake you won't pee as often.

does it come out of your ears instead ?

You may not pee as often but you'll pee more. I have a transatlantic capacity bladder but I can only fill it once.

8 x 8 is a figure plucked from the air and subsequently misinterpreted,

In the UK, "The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. " "All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest."
    1.2 litres = 40.6 US fluid ounces
  • lnt_helent
    lnt_helent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The body is really damn good at homeostasis and maintaining the appropriate amount of water. Screw the high volume, drink what you want and check you're not dehydrated using this: http://performance.borgessweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Urine-Hydration-Chart.jpg another good test is pinching the skin on the back of your hand and checking for 'tenting'.
    8 glasses is totally unnecessary unless you're living in an exceptionally hot place, or you're very active and sweating buckets, in which case be sure to maintain ions too else you'll flush them all out and be stuffed.
  • iambabygoose
    iambabygoose Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a neuroscience student and we study physiology a bit on the side.
    It's true - we don't need 8 glasses a day, and even when your thirsty it doesn't necessarily mean we are dehydrated, it's just a survival mechanism to make sure we don't get there in the first place. 8 glasses is too much.
    HOWEVER, just because we don't need 8 glasses to stay hydrated doesn't mean we don't need it to flush out toxins/improve skin tone ect. I'm currently on 2l a day to get my tummy skin back to the way it was before I got pregnant and to improve some cellulite.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point. The question is not, "Should we drink water?" We all know we should. The question is HOW MUCH. I find it hard to believe that a 5'1", 120 lb woman should be drinking the same amount of water as a 5'8", 220 lb man.

We don't say that those two people each need the same amount of iron, calcium, calories, etc. Yet someone came up with the magic number 8 for EVERYONE.

Fortunately, people realize that's an error. Here are some other trains of thought for determining how much water YOU need.

1. Multiply your weight by 2/3 (0.66). That's the number of ounces you need to drink each day. Then divide by 8 to find the number of cups you need. (Some experts believe this "drink" doesn't have to be water. ALL fluids count). "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because ALL FLUIDS count toward the daily total. -http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

2. If your urine is almost clear or very pale, you are probably hydrated.

3. If you are thirsty or constipated, you should drink (duh!)

Well put! I'm 6'3" 313lbs and I try to drink 8-10 cups per day!

5'2 113 lb female; gives me 74 ounces=9 cups. So looks like based on this you need more. :) Who cares I love water; I'll drink as much as I want. Besides if I am not drinking water I am obsessing for a diet coke; which is probably worse than drinking too much water.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    8 cups a day... of coffee I do!
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Probably not. As long as my urine is pale yellow/clearish, I consider myself pretty well hydrated.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    As a reciently former Mt. Dew aholoic I drink lots of water. I average 10-12 glasses a day. I stop noting on mfp around 9 and will drink anywhere from 2-4 glasses between then and bed. I wake up every morning with my tounge stuck to the roof of my mouth and scrambling for a glass of water. I am hoping that it changes soon and that my urine will no longer be dark. If there is no change in by next week I plan on going to the doctor. I use to go weeks only drinking Mt. Dew and no other fluids. As of Monday I have had no soda and the week prior I forced myself to drink two glasses of water for every glass of Mt. Dew hoping that it would ease the withdrawl symptoms. I personally have not felt water logged nor have I felt like I have had any more energy however, it does keep me from drinking soda which was my first goal.

Your urine is still dark after drinking all that water and no more pop?? I would definitely see a doctor. That does not sound normal to me.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    As far as peeing a lot goes. Once you get through the initial getting your body used to a higher water intake you won't pee as often.

I really wish this happened, but it hasn't for me. I think I have the bladder of a mouse, though.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    It's really an average of 8 cups of fluid (i.e. can be juice, milk, coffee, pop, etc) that you need.
    Like you pointed out, why do people want to pee so much? Poor use of environmental resources flushing the toilet all day long, to say nothing about the chemicals used to "clean" the sewage water.
    So don't flush every time you pee. Pee is sterile and, unless you're dehydrated or sick, odorless. If this is a genuine concern for you, just dont.

I'm off the water grid at home, being on well and septic, so i'm not concerned. And at work, we have all waterless urinals.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Actual medical recommendations are about 4 cups a day, and most of it can actually come from food. Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you aren't.

Here's the thing, when you are peeing a lot, and your urine is clear, your body isn't actually using the water. It's just literally going in one end and out the other. It's a 100% waste.

And excess water does not flush out toxins or improve skin tone. those are old myths, those and the "8 cups a day" myth, as well as the ridiculous "everyone is chronically dehydrated" myth are perpetuated by bottled water companies to push more products.
  • mcleodconnor
    Options

does it come out of your ears instead ?

You may not pee as often but you'll pee more. I have a transatlantic capacity bladder but I can only fill it once.

8 x 8 is a figure plucked from the air and subsequently misinterpreted,

In the UK, "The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. " "All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest."
    1.2 litres = 40.6 US fluid ounces

I lol'ed at the water coming out of the ears part
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I really wish this happened, but it hasn't for me. I think I have the bladder of a mouse, though.

lol I wish that happened to me... I only need to hear a drop and I have to go! ha
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

lol I wish that happened to me... I only need to hear a drop and I have to go! ha
    Hoping there's a point in time that I don't roll over in the middle of the night only to be woken and reminded my bladder is full!!!
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 6-9 glasses a day. If I only drink 6 and not 8, I NEVER beat myself up about it! I just think, thats all i wanted to drink, why force myself to drink anymore. I do feel like I'm getting enough water when I don't reach 8 glasses, because thats why I didn't reach the 8 glasses. 6-9 suits me and has cut down my want for caffine/sugary drinks A LOT! Infact, I don't drink any kind of soft/fizzy drinks anymore. I still like a cup of coffee every now and then.
  • davidb611
    davidb611 Posts: 16
    Options
    I usually drink around a gallon of water a day, but im used to drinking lots of water from being in the military. Once your body gets used to drinking alot of water you pee less often and its also a natural fat burner!!
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's really an average of 8 cups of fluid (i.e. can be juice, milk, coffee, pop, etc) that you need.
    Like you pointed out, why do people want to pee so much? Poor use of environmental resources flushing the toilet all day long, to say nothing about the chemicals used to "clean" the sewage water.
    So don't flush every time you pee. Pee is sterile and, unless you're dehydrated or sick, odorless. If this is a genuine concern for you, just dont.

I'm off the water grid at home, being on well and septic, so i'm not concerned. And at work, we have all waterless urinals.

Yes, I'm aware that pee is sterile; however once in the open it becomes a medium for bacterial growth.

I don't disagree about the not flushing, and certainly can do that in my own home.
    However, most worklplaces and public restrooms have toilets (for women anyway) and I would say most people would be grossed out or upset if the person before them didn't flush. Also, I'd guess the majority of people in North America are hooked up to a water treatment facility rather than septic and well.
  • Bonitaakajina
    Options
    Dreinking a cup of water while cooking or before you eat your meal is a great way not to eat so much :smile: