Thoughts on NOT eating before a morning workout

Options

Replies

• TODJ06
    TODJ06 Posts: 85
    Options
    I absolutely get my best workout in the morning. It's my favorite time to be active :).

Hey!
    I train in the morning too. Not the miniute I spring/fall out of bed, but I train after I have sent the kids to school etc...
    I usually have a protein shake before leaving home.

I workout/exercise better after having something, than just going on empty.
    I personally find I can last longer at gym/walk/run/cycle etc...

I think, like someone else said, try it both ways for a couple of weeks and see what works best for you.

Good luck. :smile:

Add me if you would like. :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I found this article pretty interesting and it recommends exercising before breakfast:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2011/01/04/the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast.aspx
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would just try it and see what works better for you. DH says it makes him feel sick if he eats before working out first thing in the morning, but I am the exact opposite. I wake up starving, so I have a little something.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've found that I need to eat something before working out in the gym or running - And usually give my stomach 30 minutes to an hour to digest. Otherwise I have no energy to use.
  • DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    I usually workout really early in the morning (like 4-5am) and if I eat that early I'm just setting myself up for crawling back in bed.
  • SizeHealthy2
    Options
    It is best to eat something before you workout. I eat a tangerine or banana before I workout and I do pretty intense cardio to include the elliptical, cross fit and running. You don't want to have your body in starvation mode because it has not had anything to eat while in its resting stage. A small snack will not hurt you and may improve your input.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with eating and NOT eating before morning workouts and I find that I usually do best with a small snack (usually some fruit, like half an apple or a small plum or a few grapes) plus a coffee before I run.

If I'm going for a long run I'll eat more - toast or an english muffin with peanut butter usually.

I can exercise without anything to eat, but I seem to have a little bit more stamina if I do.

Try it out and see what works for your body.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Might I be compromising my performance if I don't eat beforehand? Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

The nice thing is, you can test this out by trying it for a few days or a week and see if your performance changes.

I wouldn't worry about anything outside of gym performance and behavior (if not eating before the workout somehow makes the rest of your eating habits difficult, for example).

If you try it and like it, go at it.

I train fasted most of the time and I love it. Some people HATE it. You'll know after a few attempts.

I never eat before a workout, feels yuck to me.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options
    It is best to eat something before you workout. I eat a tangerine or banana before I workout and I do pretty intense cardio to include the elliptical, cross fit and running. You don't want to have your body in starvation mode because it has not had anything to eat while in its resting stage. A small snack will not hurt you and may improve your input.

Your body doesn't go into starvation mode "just like that". Your metabolism won't show ANY sign of decreasing up to several days after you stop eating. You'll be okay.
  • MrsUnderwood
    MrsUnderwood Posts: 114
    Options
    My trainer got mad at me once for not eating before my morning workout. He says it is really important to fuel your body before a morning workout, I have done so ever since - more energy!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I get up crazy early and so don't want to get up any earlier to eat. I find it really easy to work out on an empty stomach. Lately however I have been drinking a glass of hot/warm water with a squeeze of lemon. Apparently it's good to start hydrating right from the beginning.. and I've noticed it's actually rather nice.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually workout really early in the morning (like 4-5am) and if I eat that early I'm just setting myself up for crawling back in bed.

That's pretty much my thing. Baby wakes up for food somewhere between 4:30 and 5:30. I feed baby, get kid back to sleep, and then do my workout. If I ate that early, I'd want to go back to bed. But when I was doing a 9 am stroller fitness boot camp a couple of years ago, I always ate a small breakfast. It just depends on the time of day for me.

Either way, though, I'm ravenous when I finish. I figure I might as well save the calories and eat afterwards.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I've started working out before I eat, but I drink water before my workout. Dr. Oz says to eat after your workout, because your metabolism will be functioning more efficiently (something to that effect, anyway). I'm a breakfast person, but it's worked out well for me. Drinking water is essential before my morning runs. I get weak and light-headed if I'm not hydrated, and that's a problem if I'm on the road and still several miles from home. As the weather gets hotter, I'll have to learn to carry water.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't go into starvation mode "just like that". Your metabolism won't show ANY sign of decreasing up to several days after you stop eating. You'll be okay.

It take 3 days of fasting before your metabolism slow down. We are NOT that fragile.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat before working out. Just can't deal with food at 5am.
  • SizeHealthy2
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode if when you workout you don't eat or your only eating one meal a day. Most people think if they don't eat they will lose when in actually they are making the body go into the reservoir for food. That is starvation mode.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode if when you workout you don't eat or your only eating one meal a day. Most people think if they don't eat they will lose when in actually they are making the body go into the reservoir for food. That is starvation mode.

Umm...I'm not quite sure what it is you were actually trying to say, but I don't think I agree.

The precursor to starvation mode is your metabolism slowing down. This is impossible to MAKE happen in a 24hr period. In most studies, this doesn't begin to happen for about 72hrs with no food. If you're eating anything at all...it extends that window...but will eventually come back to bite you if you keep it up.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options
    LOL!
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I wish I could work out before eating, I've tried for years of rowing (crew) swimming and cycling - I just cant get beyond about 30 minutes of hard work before my body is crying out for fuel!

now I have a handful of almonds or a banana, a strong coffee and a pint of water, and try and go easy for the first 5 minutes or so...
  • Kidsrn23
    Kidsrn23 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You actually burn stored fat if you work out without eating breakfast first (ie.in a fasted state). Starvation mode takes days and very low body fat percentage too achieve. Eat or don't eat it all depends how you feel physically.