Does anyone else get a bit bored on the treadmill??

Options

Replies

• guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    A trick we always used when I was stationed in Washington and it was raining was to run to a movie. 2 1/2 hours even at a light jog you end up burning like 1200-1500 calories, while being distracted by the movie.
  • coletteann123
    Options
    Treadmill running sucks the life right out of me. I can run for a very long time outside and feel great after... 3 miles on the dreadmill and I'm ready to hang myself on the freaking pull up bar!!!!! Music/tv helps to an extent, but I still hate it and avoid it completely. I'd rather run in any weather than be stuck inside on a dreadmill.

That said, you said you don't want to waste time on weights and stuff because you only have 40 minutes... and I beg to differ!!! If you have 40 minutes, you have the perfect opportunity to do some strength training which will REALLY change your body! When I started lifting I was amazed by how many inches I lost, especially around my middle... I'm down tons of sizes due to lifting. Even the machines at the gym will work once you start using them. No need to be intimidated by those. Get someone at the gym to help you make up a quick routine and do it every other day... you'll be shocked with the results!!! A quick warm up and weight session is EXACTLY what you SHOULD be doing!!!! Don't worry, you're still burning calories, but most important, you're building muscle which burns more calories just by breathing.... seriously!

VERY useful!! maybe ill finsish this week off with a session interval if i can find the energy and next week focus more on the weights then?? what about weight loss though?? i recently gained a few unwanted labs hence my thoughts of punishing myself on the 'dreadmill' and elipitical?? it wont hinder weight loss will it doing more weights and toning??
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    2 episodes of "little Britain"
    , 60 minutes goes in a flash
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I set the TM on an interval program, then I watch one of my favorite shows on the DVR, and since it takes about 45 minutes to watch a one hour show.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i used to love running on the treadmill, and will still now run for up to 90mins sometimes...but i've gotten really bored of it lately and can't push myself to do it...with 3 kids( 3.5yrs, 2.5yrs and 5weeks) i have to workout at home as it takes extra time to get to the gym etc, so i don't have many other options...i have ordered the Jillian Michaels dvd boxset(4 of her main dvds) and am waiting for that to arrive in the hopes that i'll look forward to a short(up to an hour) run and then be able to do 2 of the jm workouts
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about people reading on the treadmill while there walking. Its intrigues me. I'm going to try and do it today actually mayb ill stay on longer!

I have done it, and people do it all the time at the Y I go to. Lately I have situated myself to where I can oogle the lifeguards in the pool beneath the fitness area...and I DO look around some to see what other people are up to. Walking/running on the treadmill without my music is horrible! Time goes the quickest for me when I have someone to talk to--and I believe it is better for my respiratory health if I am talking and running ( I am asthmatic...)
  • ashsegura
    ashsegura Posts: 2
    Options
    I would like to get myself a treadmill well with have a three year old and 2 month old i cant always jsut pick up and go outside. I do get bored on the treadmill but what keeps me going is incline and speed intervals.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    HATE, HATE, HATE the treadmill. I can easily run for over an hour on the road, I can't manage 10 minutes on a treadmill

same for me. just replace 10 mins with 10 seconds. 2 reasons.
    1) hate it.
    2) I am fairly large. I never have been able to get comfortable on it with my wide plodding gait. walking I can do ok but eh...prefer track or outside. rain or shine don't care.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill because it's better than not running at all, that's my situation now. I'm always downloading new songs to keep me interested. I also started walking on an incline, that was more interesting for a while. When I do that I can also watch tv because I don't feel I need the fast beat to keep me running... but of course I would always run outside if I had my choice!
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I totally hate it because I get sooo bored--if I DON'T have my ipod I will die on there simply by an overdose of being bored
  • ZumbaholicEmz
    ZumbaholicEmz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get so bored on the treadmill, the only thing that gets me through it is my ipod and banging tunes/play lists ! I will not get on it if I don't have it. x
  • stellapiano
    stellapiano Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that my gym has a tv attached to every cardio machine. With extended cable I can chose pretty much anything I want to watch. I often chose to go to the gym during my favorite shows so I can get really into my workout without getting bored because I am focused on the show. During commercials I check out my form in the mirror; making sure that I am not leaning to far forward etc.

It's pretty much the same for me. I recently made myself the promise that I'm going to re-watch the entire Lost series, but only on the treadmill. So I just queue it up on my computer (commercial free, luckily!) and just go until the episode is over!
  • Pixie_star1234
    Pixie_star1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I once forgot my headphones at home and to be honest, I did not want to be in the gym! I hardly managed to do an hour. The treadmill can be quite boring, but I tend to watch some MTV for some inspiration :))
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Since I can't find that many guides to run with me anytime I'd like to go out for a run (I'm legally blind), I have o make do with a treadmill at least 3/4 of the time. What makes it work for me is the knowledge I have to use a treadmill more than the average person in terms of I can't pick when I go for an outdoor run per se - for those treadmill days if I'm bored I either set a goal or do a speed workout or somesuch thing
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would do it as enjoyably without my MP3 player, but I like the treadmill because I feel like I'm competing with myself. I'm looking at the timer and the miles and thinking, can I go faster this mile than last? If I speed it up for the last minute of this mile, what will that to my total time? Try to make a game out of it and compete with yourself. Sometimes, I also find myself getting lost in watching ESPN (lol that's what is always playing on my gym's TV). Running outside isn't always possible in Ohio, and I've learned to enjoy the treadmill.

Another thing you can try is intervels. Go fast for a minute, then slow it down. It makes the time fly by and you're always thinking about what is next so you can't really get bored!
  • Tennybird
    Tennybird Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill. I lucky to have a treadmill at home however, so I set up my laptop and watch tv while doing it. There are certain shows that I'm only allowed (self imposed rule) while on the treadmill. That gets me motivated to get on it and stay on it!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Audio books! Music doesn't hold my attention enough to distract me, but a good story helps the time pass
  • Montanarush
    Montanarush Posts: 76
    Options
    I got to where I would rather walk on a trail, or ride the bike outside, weather permitting. I watch TV at the gym, while riding, which I find boring. Music is the only thing that really helps me, plus it's a proven fact that you can burn more calories by playing livelier music.
    :smile:
  • headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill but hate going to gyms so am fortunate to have one at home. I can look out the window, play whatever music I want but usually I take my laptop and watch a movie while on the treadmill. I read a book for the 45 mins I'm on the stationary bike. It would get boring if I didn't have something to read or watch. I know not everyone has their equipment at home so I am more fortunate than many.
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill! I got the iFit from Gold Gym with the Jillian Michaels workouts. It is different everyday and it really does help me to not burn out. Plus I crank up the Rob/White Zombie which gets me even more pumped!