Coffe~cream & sugar

Options

Replies

• boswellheather
    boswellheather Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't give it up I've tried it just makes me cranky lmao. I try to adjust my breakfast cal to fit it in, and i use sweet n low instead of sugar, i also like splenda, but im not changing my creamer! lol I don't care if it is 40 cal a serving lmao, XD
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the need to drink coffee.
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I take whole milk, no sugar, but I use about 1/2 cup of milk per mug for my coffee. I have tried other stuff, even tried cocunut milk, but tasted like skim milk in my coffee. I decided I love my coffee, and I am going to enjoy it. I count the milk in my daily calories, and somtimes it really adds up, but won't give up coffee and milk
  • endjl
    endjl Posts: 28
    Options
    To answer the question above, "What is Ideal"? Ideal is a brand name for xylitol, which is also a natural sweetener. I actually prefer it over stevia as I feel it tastes more like sugar. It is a fantastic sugar substitute and I use in place of sugar for just about everything. Google it and you'll be able to find out where to purchase it. I found a generic brand at my local grocery store.
  • sherrywilson77
    Options
    I don't do the sugar, but I do use half & half and I will just keep the calories because I really feel that I can cut those calories some place else and not give up one of the best parts of my day :)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up cream and sugar, the best way to do it is gradually and over a long period of time, e.g. if you usually have two teaspoons of sugar, try it with 1.5 for a week or two, then go down to 1 spoon, then half, then a quarter...I used to always have sugar in my tea but have weaned myself right off it and now hate sugary tea!

But then again, I also agree with a lot of the comments here...if you enjoy your coffee that way, there's no need to deprive yourself. As long as you're not drinking 10 cups of sweet sugary creamy coffee every day, there's no harm in it. Just keep within your calorie allowance and do some exercise if you're going over!
  • plhv19
    plhv19 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just think of it this way: I used to get a mocha or latte every morning (albeit skim, no whip). But still. My cup of coffee with half and half and turbinado sugar (aka "Sugar in the Raw") only sets me back like 50 cals, instead of the 150 for the latte. No big deal.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ME! But I don't deprive myself of much things.. I drink coffee every morning with cream and I don't use sugar I use "Ideal" I love it :)

whats ideal?

It is a zero calorie sweetener, 1 tsp of sugar is like 2 tsp of ideal, it's that much sweeter. instead of 4 tsp of sugar I use 2 tsp of ideal.
  • lacourtm
    lacourtm Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't drink coffee without creamer! But, I have been able to slowly cut back on the amount I put in! Plus, I look at the perks of one cup of coffee a day ..... It helps keep you regular, lol!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    To answer the question above, "What is Ideal"? Ideal is a brand name for xylitol, which is also a natural sweetener. I actually prefer it over stevia as I feel it tastes more like sugar. It is a fantastic sugar substitute and I use in place of sugar for just about everything. Google it and you'll be able to find out where to purchase it. I found a generic brand at my local grocery store.

Yes this! I had stevia and now I don't like it, since trying ideal, plus it's cheaper then stevia
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    Ideal is a brand of xylitol, natural plant based sweetener with no or very low calories. It it is tasty, I like it better than splenda or stevia in coffee, those taste bitter to me in coffee, but I can use them otherwise. Xylitol is really yummy in coffee. If you are counting carbs, it is 4 per teaspoon, better than sugar on carbs. You can also bake with it. It even comes in "brown sugar". If you have corn allergies or issues, you probably should not use it. There is a birch based xylitol that is REALLY yummy, but is more expensive. It is a much "cleaner" option since birch is not corrupt with fungus or genetically modified like corn can be. The one I have used is Globalsweet.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I will not give up my 1-2 cups of day of Keurig Coffee with sugar and milk!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was able to get down to one cup a day by tricking myself...I drink hot water out of my travel mug. When I get to work I have one 8 ounce cup of coffee with one packet of splenda and one teaspoon of powdered cream. It took me a long time to cut back but, I started by just drinking a hot cup of water every time I wanted a cup of coffee and before I knew it I was actually enjoying my hot water...an added bonus, I'm getting my water in for the day. I know it sounds weird but, it works for me and you jsut have to find what works for you.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have my french vanilla creamer.. so I changed to the sugarless variety to save on some calories.
    and I can do without the sugar...I do sweet n low or truvia in my coffee... :drinker:
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE UP YOUR CREAMER & SUGAR... DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT!!
    I've chosen a LIFESTYLE change about moderation, portion control, and exercise...
    NOT about giving up food...that is a diet. and we ALL know DIETS DON'T WORK.
  • luvmycoffee
    luvmycoffee Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<< You know I :heart: :heart: my coffee! :wink: Before I started on MFP, I used to drink the hazelnut creamer in my coffee or during the winter months I used the Pumpkin Spice Creamer (YUM) & I used A LOT. I used so many of my daily calories that I had to give up the creamer. :grumble:

I drink it black with a little cinnamon & splenda. I think I need to try this Ideal stuff that previous posters talked about. Took time to get used to it & believe me, I still enjoy coffee treats at Starbucks, etc. from time to time...Venti Skinny Vanilla Latte. :bigsmile:

All this coffee talk...Yum!
  • SandiBren
    SandiBren Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drank a LOT of coffee so I decided that I'd stop putting cream/milk in my coffee until I reached my goal. At first it was nasty but then I got used to it and actually enjoyed it. Recently, however, after reading several articles about the effect of coffee on the pancreas (as in, holding on to the fat) I decided to try going WITHOUT coffee altogether. I haven't had coffee for a week now. I miss it, for sure, but if I can get my weight down to where I want it to be I'll be happy. I'm not quitting forever, but will try to see what happens and then go back at a lower rate.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I will use 2 sugar and 3 splenda. And I will not skimp on my International Delight Almond Joy creamer. Not one bit.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Pfft. What reason is there to give it up?

If you're watching your sugar, cut back or use Truvia instead. Cut back on the cream...adjust your taste buds so you still enjoy it but make it a bit "better for you".

I will never give up my coffee...I will walk a mile in order to have it!
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I will not give up my french vanilla creamer in my coffee, each and every morning I "use" 100 calories on it. I've tried the other fake stuff and it's awful! You are not alone:bigsmile:

^--- YUP! My skim milk & raw sugar is worth the calories to me
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use light soymilk for cream, and splenda for sugar. I drink 2 cups every single day.