Log theme park walking?

Options
We are going to busch gardens today, it is a large park over 100 acres, we are going for 6 hours,.what if anything would you.log? Will be pushing my 2yo in stroller too. Was thinking of logging 2.5 hours walking
at slow pace. Does this seem ok?

Replies

• defectus
    defectus Posts: 8
    Options
    I personally do not do that. In the end, it's just a walk in a park right ;-)
    And if you do I'd advice not to eat it back, unless you want to maintain your weight, not lose it.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log anything but what's truly exercise. You are going to be stopping and going all through out the day. Your heart rate is not going to be consistently elevated like it is when you exercise. Are you hoping if you log something while there it will help so you can eat more? '

Hope you have a great time btw =)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i disagree with others. you probably don't walk this much in a typical day so why not count it? maybe count it as walking slow pace like 2.0 mph.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    why not? I would...
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I disagree, as well. That's tons of walking! And you do need more calories when you're walking that much and in the sun. Going to a theme park is always great exercise... and walking is an exercise. .
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't normally log walking, cleaning, etc. But I would log a full day at the theme park at LEAST as 60 minutes of walking at a slow pace.

I find that those full days walking out in the sun exhaust me more than a 12-mile run!! Make sure you drink lots of water!!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I walk anywhere, shopping, the coast, days out I ALWAYS log the walking, I do it like this, you will burn calories quicker walking than sitting thats a fact, so why not use them IMO just make sure you're not logging too much.

EXAMPLE

Walk around shops 12:00 till 5;00 without any stopping apart from browsing, I'd log 3 hours at 2mph

I'm not saying it's an exact science but it works for me AND I do eat the calories sometimes to, AND FYI I lose arout 3/4lbs a week too.

PEACE.
  • nhodge17
    nhodge17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would log as as walking at a slow pace 2.0 mph. I would also recommend using a tri-axis pedometer. I just came bag from Disney World and the pedometer helped to track my actual walking or "workout" time.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't log it when we visit our local theme park, but I also don't worry about going over on calories that day either. We have season passes this year and are coming up on our 2nd visit for the year.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Walking is actually one of the BEST things you can do for your heart and body. I wouldn't log 6 hours of walking (as some of the day would be standing in lines and all that stuff), but the 2.5 at the slower pace seems MORE than acceptable to me.

Exercise is something that is consider 'out of your norm'. I suspect you dont walk around the amusement park every single day...

I think some of the people who would disagree with me also probably forget that what you set your MFP account up with should be a determining factor.

I am sedentary, as I sit my butt down at a desk for 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week. If I take the day off and leisurely hike for an entire day (no crazy heart rate, but still up and moving) I am ABSOLUTELY going to log that to some extent because it is 100% out of my normal activity.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    being tired from the heat/sun is different than being tired from exercise......I wouldn't log strolling around a park unless I was doing jumping jacks while I was in line.
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    I would log as as walking at a slow pace 2.0 mph. I would also recommend using a tri-axis pedometer. I just came bag from Disney World and the pedometer helped to track my actual walking or "workout" time.

Great idea!!!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I log my walking too - I live somewhere quite hilly and already have burnt over 700 calories walking today (I have a HRM) and TBH pushing a toddler in a buggy especially up hills is not easy.
  • BTag3
    BTag3 Posts: 14
    Options
    I wouldn't log it.. maybe if you had a fitbit it might show up as something, but really its not exercise unless you leave everyone else behind and do laps w/o stopping, and logging it isn't going to make it so or change anything. If you get an extra calorie burn because of it, then great, but if you log it and expect some kind of weight loss and it doesn't happen then you are just going to feel bad. When you are at a theme park its just walking, stopping, sitting, kind of like a regular day for a moderately active person... except for maybe the sunburn. ; )
  • Purplebfly333
    Purplebfly333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is some form of exercise. It's not like you are sitting at home on the couch. I have some house cleaning to do and I break a sweat when I'm into my cleaning. It counts for something. Go for it and have fun!
    Also, good question.
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    I wouldn't log it.. maybe if you had a fitbit it might show up as something, but really its not exercise unless you leave everyone else behind and do laps w/o stopping, and logging it isn't going to make it so or change anything. If you get an extra calorie burn because of it, then great, but if you log it and expect some kind of weight loss and it doesn't happen then you are just going to feel bad. When you are at a theme park its just walking, stopping, sitting, kind of like a regular day for a moderately active person... except for maybe the sunburn. ; )

Key phrase - "Moderately Active"

If she is sedentary ...Different story :happy:
  • petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Unless you normally do that much walking in a day at work or something I would log it. I went to six flags last weekend and was there for 7 hours. I only logged 2.hrs of walking at 2.0mph. Granted it's not the same as a workout but any energy used is a calorie burned and if that's not part of normal routine that mark it. Just make sure you don't over estimate the amount of walking your doing. Go on the low side
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Key phrase - "Moderately Active"

If she is sedentary ...Different story :happy:

agreed! if it's not something you do regularly and causes you to start huffing and puffing after a while, I'd log it. whether I eat it back depends on how I'm feeling after all that walking and what choices I have to eat

otherwise, HAVE FUN!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    We went to the zoo a few weeks back and I expected my body bugg to report high numbers for walking! Wrong, what I did that day was a typical day for me anyway. Due to all the standing, stoping and starting it really wasn't that much when you actually looked a the steps. I didn't count mine since it was a typical day for me. But then again I always walk more then 10K steps.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you have a fitbit I wouldn't log it since it'll do it's own adjusment based on your "unusual" extra steps but if not then I would do the 2.5 hours at 2.0mph as you had originally planned