Log theme park walking?

Options

Replies

• msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if you are walking more than normal you should log it. I personally wear a pedometer and track my steps every day. I have my profile set at sedentary due to my current lifestyle (9+ hours/day desk job) and log any and all steps that are over 5,000 each day. See my blog post here if you're interested in how I do that

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/msudaisy28/view/incorporating-more-daily-activity-231335)

So for me, I would wear my pedometer and log the activityat the end of the day. If you don't do something similar, I think logging an hour or two would be reasonable. Do what feels right for you, and have fun!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job where I am literally seated all day except for bathroom breaks and lunch, so for me.. I'd log some of it. That really is an out of the ordinary day for me. Also, when I, personally, go to a theme park I am all about getting from point A to point B quickly, so I do try to walk quickly. We are going to Disney World in September, and I will log some of that walking. Because, otherwise, I would have been sitting on my behind all day.

I don't think I would log it as very much, because it's not like going to a cardio class or anything, but for me, its still more than usual.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't log food or exercise when I go to those places.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't use it to exploit the fried oreo stand, i would count it! why not, you will be walking a ton and will need to accommodate all that extra energy with some extra nutrition.
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the people. I usually don't log those type of things....I see people who log many things that I consider just a daily thing. The only things I log are actual exercising.....The reason I don't log leaisure walks is because you stop and go so your heart rate isn't really up there. The exercise you should log are ones you are doing the WHOLE time and your heart rate is up the WHOLE time. I see people log cleaning and some walking if they are at the mall. I don't consider that as a true exercise. I seem to lose more weight if I don't log those types because I don't see the calories back and want to eat them lol. I just consider it a bonus with any extra walking..I just don't log Just a personal thing. Have fun on your trip :-)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I recently went to Thorpe Park here in the UK. I could'nt go on any rides and was wearing my fitbit. I racked up 643 calories burned that day. Lots of stopping and starting, watching the kiddies on the rides etc. So yes, log them (or let the Fitbit do it if you have one). And eat those calories back, ignore the thing about only if your maintaining.... ( don't know what that is about :huh: ). If you burned 600+ calories through doing anything else 'classed' as exercise you would eat them back so why not for walking? :smile:
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It depends how active your lifestyle is normally. For me, since I have a desk job and get very little exercise throughout the day, I always log my walks and things like that because it's not part of my typical day. If you have a lightly active or active lifestyle/job though, I probably would not log it.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am logged as sedentary ( sit at a desk) 8-9 hours a week. I went to the zoo yesterday for a little of 4 hours of walking..I logged as slow pace but cut it down to 2 hours entered. and I did not try to eat back all my calories.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It depends how active your lifestyle is normally. For me, since I have a desk job and get very little exercise throughout the day, I always log my walks and things like that because it's not part of my typical day. If you have a lightly active or active lifestyle/job though, I probably would not log it.

DITTO
  • RichardCMolloy
    RichardCMolloy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't log it. There is nothing wrong with logging it but I just wouldn't myself. That being said, I will be burning more calories then sitting at my desk all day so i wouldn't be upset if I went over my calorie goal for the day.

The scale on Monday morning doesn't care if you log your walking or not...it knows! It's the all knowing monster & I hate it! Ugh!
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, the people who don't log this because it isn't "really working" are fools. Go sit on your butt, then go walk. Your HR shows a pretty significant change. (My resting HR is something like 70-75, if I am up and moving around the house and then taking 5 minute sits because I am doing something on computer, my HR is like 90-100 depending on how quick I am moving. HUGE difference in caloric burn.)

Some seriously bad logic on this site sometimes.

Oh and LOL at not eating them back. Maybe not go crazy, but one of the early replies said not to eat them back unless you're trying to maintain, serious lack of understanding in that statement. I just wouldn't be AS concerned about eating a little heavier that day. No reason to not fuel your body.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you normally walk for 6 hours a day, then no I wouldn't log it.

However, If you're normally sedentary, and that's your setting on MFP then go with your original plan. That's what I would do. Actually, If I'm doing something like that I'd probably just take a hall pass on logging for the day.

As for walking as not exercise? Calories are a measurement of energy. Walking and moving all day is a huge expendeture of energy. Calories are NOT a measure of heart rate. Increased heart rates are an effect of energy expendeture, not the other way around. You don't have to make your heart race to burn calories. Ask a through hiker if walking burns a lot of calories.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    NM
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would. Is the park a big park like Disney or a small one. The last time I went to an amusement park I did log the exercise but I made sure I kept within my calorie limit without the exercise. I guess the thing here is, you're not technically doing a workout so you wouldn't be burning as many calories as you would if you walked 5+ hours straight but you are burning some. Just don't treat those burned calories the same way you would if you went to the gym or went for a run.
    Have fun at the Park!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do in these situations, is get a fit bit, and avoid all of the bad advice you are getting. Seriously though if you wouldn't normally walk that much in a day then it is going to be a big difference in calorie burn. Any type of walking is going to burn more calories than just sitting around. When I go to the park with my neices I see a big difference in calories burned, and the amount of steps I take in a day, because I'm always trying to keep up with them, because they are all over the place. Then benefit of not logging it would be that you burned more calories than you think, and you would lose even more weight because you wouldn't eat them back.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, the people who don't log this because it isn't "really working" are fools. Go sit on your butt, then go walk. Your HR shows a pretty significant change. (My resting HR is something like 70-75, if I am up and moving around the house and then taking 5 minute sits because I am doing something on computer, my HR is like 90-100 depending on how quick I am moving. HUGE difference in caloric burn.)

Oh and LOL at not eating them back. Maybe not go crazy, but one of the early replies said not to eat them back unless you're trying to maintain, serious lack of understanding in that statement. I just wouldn't be AS concerned about eating a little heavier that day. No reason to not fuel your body.

WELL SAID !!!
  • jenniebee19
    jenniebee19 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would log it modified!
    My opinion there is two types of exercise. Cardiovascular and fun exercise.
    If you get yourself off the couch and go out and do activities that you enjoy that falls into the fun exercise catogory. I play baseball with my neices that's fun exercises.
    Played miniature golf yesterday. Guess what that's fun exercise!
    But I modify them I'll usually put them around 80-100 calories burned.
    I rather everyone here go out enjoy life few hours a day and log it rather than 3 hours a week and logging just that.
    Enjoy life and calories burn fun and naturally! Make sense?? Lol
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I agree. My HRM can go up to around 140 and out of 30 minute walk I usually spend around 20 mins in the zone. i know I'm walking up and down steep hills with the buggy but today i have burnt over 900 calories. And I will be eating them back later.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    It is absolutely absurd to not eat back calories from being on your feet this long. People who think you shouldn't either are most likely habitual under eaters or simply do not understand the HUGE difference of walking for 5+ hours versus everyday life. Just mind boggling to me.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask the same question! We're going to Disney/Sea World In july for 2 weeks.....I have a HRM and will probably wear it, but it won't be totally correct since I will be standing inlines ect....but will at least give me a ball park idea. OR I could start and stop it and note it on my iphone each time....I have to think about what I want to do. I will need to eat back the calories being a nursing mom.