low-calorie, but filling, breakfast

Options
I have a dilemma. A few hours after eating breakfast (which I do around 6am), I am hungry again. But, I don't want to eat a snack mid-morning because I am trying to reduce my calorie intake. I usually eat oatmeal, cereal, or Eggo waffles for breakfast with a glass of juice. Sometimes I will throw one or two hard-boiled eggs in there. Does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively low-calorie, yet filling and nutritious, breakfast? It has to be something easy and quick because I am usually taking care of my 1-year-old at the same time.

Replies

• Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would advise having eggs (scrambled or omelette) 2 full eggs and 3 egg whites
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat Larabars, which are few ingredients and good. I have the same issue, but this keeps it a little a bay (especially if you eat half now and half later in the morning). Also, pretty easy overall!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Fiber and Protein will keep you feeling fuller, longer.

My typical breakfast: (under 300 calories and usually 20-30 protein)

-1/2 eggbeaters with added veggies(spinach, zuccini, tomato, mushroom, pepper, etc)
    -2 slices of turkey bacon or canadian bacon
    -1/2 cup greek yogurt or smoothie made with yogurt/almond milk or healthy cereal like kashi go lean, or puffed wheat)

usually keeps me satiated for 3-4 hours.

YUm!
  • gus0124
    gus0124 Posts: 10
    Options
    Fiber and Protein will keep you feeling fuller, longer.

My typical breakfast: (under 300 calories and usually 20-30 protein)

-1/2 eggbeaters with added veggies(spinach, zuccini, tomato, mushroom, pepper, etc)
    -2 slices of turkey bacon or canadian bacon
    -1/2 cup greek yogurt or smoothie made with yogurt/almond milk or healthy cereal like kashi go lean, or puffed wheat)

usually keeps me satiated for 3-4 hours.

YUm!

Sounds delicious and filling, but I do not have much time to prepare breakfast in the morning. My 1-year-old daughter, who is up at clockwork at 6am, eats her breakfast within 10 minutes and immediately wants to play or sit on my lap. Then I have to get the kids ready to go to daycare. But, thanks anyway!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Why can't you allow for a mid-morning snack? A piece of fruit or a small mini cheese isn't going to push your calories up too much.
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually do greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of granola but if you have the time, eggs are very filling and if you do egg whites (egg beaters) it's pretty low calorie! Good luck
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    protein! eggs and jimmy dean has really good turkey sausage patties precooked that are awesome
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    High protein waffle with a tbsp of PB. About 170 calories, add what you like.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Why can't you allow for a mid-morning snack? A piece of fruit or a small mini cheese isn't going to push your calories up too much.

My thoughts as well - a hard boiled egg mid morning
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Wickedmeowmer Posts: 157
    Options
    i do egg beaters in the microwave in a mug with some seasoning, takes exactly 1 minute 20 seconds ;)

You can get fancy on serve them on wheat toast with laughing cow spread too! Very filling!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Try to aim for at least 20g of protein per meal for it to be filling. Have 1 big protein or 2 little proteins...if you have eggs, have a glass of milk for extra protein. If you have cereal, use whole milk and have an egg on the side. Try whole grains for extra protein as well... I love my multigrain waffles (4g protein) plus peanut butter (another 4g) and a glass of milk (8g for whole, so almost to 20 with this meal). Also try 1/4 of an avocado. The fat will fill you up and it's a great addition to eggs or toast. YUM!
  • fatzombiegirl
    Options
    Jay Robb Protein Shake (Vanilla Whey) + 1.5 cups skim milk + 1 TB Cocoa + 1TB flax meal = satisfying protein-filled breakfast.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are eating high carb breakfast food, which typically leave you hungry later. I pour some egg whites (from a carton) into a small skillet with some PAM and mozerella and veggies and it takes about 5 mins for me to prepare.

Eggs don't take any longer than waffles or oatmeal.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to eat cereal with greek yogurt instead of milk. I usually go for kashi go lean since it's high-protein and low-sugar. You can throw some berries or dried fruit in there too. Depending on what I put in, it's typically below 300 calories, and has at least 20g of protein. Keeps me full all morning.
  • kelley1378
    kelley1378 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is super easy! Plus, it's filled with protein. My go-to breakfast: scoop yogurt into a bowl, add fruit (I buy whatever's the cheapest - currently strawberries) and then measure out granola to sprinkle on top. Total is 250-300 calories (depending on the type/amount of granola) and about 25g protein. Keeps me satisfied until lunch.

ETA that great minds think (and post!) alike. Lol.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Because I can't always cook breakfast either (2-year-old) I always keep hard-boiled eggs on hand.

I know everyone always says fiber makes you feel full, so I always ate oatmeal for breakfast and maybe with a hard-boiled egg like you. In an hour or two I was hungry again!

My husband can eat fiber and feel full, but I need a LOT of protein. Add quick protein things to your breakfast. Soy nuts, edamames (1/4 C is approx 130 cals but about 11g protein) are good choices that will allow you to eat and move around with your little one. Hard-boiled eggs are great - just don't eat the yolk if you have more than two. Smoothies are great options as well, you can just make it the night before and let it sit in your fridge or freezer.

Do you not have time to eat a bowl of cereal? gus0124 had some good suggestions that are time-friendly.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Go to "www.skinnytaste.com" and try her Green monster smoothie (I put a few icecubes and frozen blueberries in it too). It is so filling and it is either my breakfast if I've worked out in the morning or my lunch.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are eating high carb breakfast food, which typically leave you hungry later.

I agree. You need to add protein to feel full for longer. You can boil eggs in advance, or grab a yogurt if you don't have time to prepare something. Good luck!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    3 eggs, 1 Jennie-O Turkey sausage.

2 eggs, slice of cheese, 2 pieces pastrami, 100 calorie bread.
  • grubester
    grubester Posts: 8
    Options
    If time is a huge issue, replace your juice calories with protein/fiber. You can get precooked turkey sausage that you heat in the microwave, fruit or whatever else. In my opinion drinking calories isn't a good use of your daily allowance. I'd rather spend my calories on more filling foods. Almonds are also a filling snack.