Protein Shakes

Options

Replies

• GermanicKnight
    Options
    Just an FYI if you buy the GNC ones (the only one I drink regularly). The Total Lean ready to drink ones taste delicious! Also, the powdered version has more carbs and sugar, less protein… by a relatively huge amount. I asked them about it in store and they said the American version of the powder might be better than the Canadian one… not sure where you're from.

100% Agree. The fact they are also lactose free is awesome too! 25g of protein and only 170 calories! I love them!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Light soy milk (60 cals). I tried with water once, but it was too gross!
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    Water. But I put about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of greek yogurt in mine.
  • purplelilac123
    purplelilac123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It depends on the protein shake. In my opinion, some taste good with just water and others have to be mixed with a few ingredients to enhance the flavor. Usually find that almond milk gives the protein powder a nice flavor but I also like bananas in them. Sometimes I throw in some peanut butter for breakfast or post workout shake.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I use water too, been thinking of trying mixing almond milk and a Greek yogert in it as well for a full meal. Maybe with a fruit too. I'm going to try it this weekend and see how it is :)
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506340-milkshake-recipe-37g-of-protein

I use skim milk for added calcium and vitamin D. For the shakes in the link above, I use 6 oz.
  • meliibabii87
    Options
    This is all very helpful and great ideas!
    I think I would want to try some almond milk instead of skim milk, since I usually drink it as a meal replacement!
    And from now on, I am going to look at the ingredients.
    The one I was drinking was called WHEY I believe and I did buy it from GNC. I think I might go to vitamin world just to see the difference.
    Thank you all so much!
  • meliibabii87
    Options
    I believe its from Optimum Nutrition!
    =]
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla almond milk. The flavor is great and really it's not that many additional calories.

this!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    1/2 1% milk, 1/2 water, then add a drop or two of vanilla extract for a "real" vanilla flavor.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk and ice.
  • slnorby
    slnorby Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Visalus. Love it and have lost 48 lbs so far. Almond breeze,shake mix and frozen fruit or PB2 with unsweetened cocoa powder yummy and good for you
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i use water.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use water.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    generally I make with semi skimmed milk and ice, sometimes add frozen banana to make a thick mcdonalds type shake, as I use my shakes more just to get my protein intake up, rather than after workouts.

If i need the protein but dont have the calories left to make as above, I will make with water but i prefer not to!
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use water, because I don't want the extra calories of milk even if its skim. I'd much rather use the calories on a tasty mix in like frozen berries, frozen bananas, flax, chia or walnuts. I mix it up all the time, plus alternating between the chocolate powder and the vanilla. Keeps things interesting!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Jay robb chocolate + 250ml semi skimmed milk + 2tbsp chocolate pb2 is heaven. Never tried almond milk but I am going to soon as its much less calories! X
  • meliibabii87
    Options
    I think that is my problem, that i kept drinking the vanilla one, and never bought a different flavor so I got tired of it eventually!
    I really want to try cookies and cream because that is my favorite ice cream!
    =]
    But does anyone use the Optimum Nutrition 100% whey gold standard?
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I vary it....a lot of times it's just water...but sometimes I will use unsweetened almond milk or greek yogurt :)

The main one I use is plain vanilla... so... I will often add it to a cup of coffee since I don't use creamer anymore... :)
  • baldeagle78758
    Options
    I tried the strawberry flavored powder with water and milk, didn't like the flavor. Now, I mix it with frozen fruit and a mixture of 1/2 OJ and 1/2 lime juice. Makes a good shake and I am increasing my fruit intake. Once I am done with the strawberry, I will try vanilla, I imagine the taste will improve.