What was your final straw?

Options

Replies

• suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed as Diabetic 1 yr ago - that started the final journey for me.
  • alexandrite13
    alexandrite13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My final straw was a series of events as well. I have been obese most of my adult life. Normally hovering around 210-215. While my partner was pregnant I jumped to 235. I found myself hiding in our pregnancy photos and the photos from our daughters delivery. The happiest day of our life I had to hide! Then Tuesday I went to buy a sweet from the grocery store and the baker asked me if I really should be eating a donut. She gets paid to sell me them but felt she should scold me!?! I knew it was time. Now I'm building my support group and trying like hell to make these life changes.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For me it was when my size 8's started getting too tight...so I bought a few size 10's. Then I thought, " wait a minute I am not going to upgrade my wardrobe in a bigger size, if I do any upgrading it will be in a smaller size!" So four months later (after better eating habits and excercise) I am now in a size 6! :laugh:
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My underwear was too tight :mad:
  • Starklover
    Starklover Posts: 57
    Options
    Hmm i guess it is a combo of things... Im tired of having to find "plus-size" clothing. My little brother, innocent as he is, has asked me like 3 times in the last few months if I was pregnant again. I was getting winded just climbing up one flight of stairs. My ankles and back always hurt, both have beeninjured before but the extra weight doesnt help. I used to work in a nursing home and be able to be on my feet, moving for eight hours straight... now I have issues just chasing my kids around the house...
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Being told by my doctor that I had elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels. After putting myself on a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-sugar meal plan and exercising regularly, the pounds just started to melt off and subsequent blood work was within normal limits. Yeah! Best thing I ever did that resulted in weight loss, which is, in part, due to this awesome website!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    When the scale read 240 lbs. That was over 5 years ago. I'm currently 190.
  • kwheelock
    kwheelock Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I went from a size 10 to a size 14 after getting married. I started trying to lose weight, but then found out I was pregnant so I stopped...only I gained quite a bit when I was pregnant. I was right around 250lbs before I had my baby and I'm now down to 218lbs. I put on a pair of my size 16 pants I still had lying around and I can now squeeze into them (though I'd never wear them in public yet...still too tight). I lost the first 20lbs without thinking about it. It wasn't until I was still having to wear my maternity pants that I realized I really need to start trying and not just keep hoping the weight would fall off on its own. I've lost 12lbs since joining MFP at the end of March. Still wearing the maternity pants because I refuse to buy bigger pants, but I'm determined to get back to a size 12 at least...I've saved all those clothes and I'm dying to wear them again!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My last straw was this past spring. I was at the in-laws for a BBQ and we were all around the campfire, someone got the bright idea to throw a row of fire crackers in the fire after we ate. I was sitting close to the fire, it was cold out, and when I saw them go into the fire my brain said "Move women move!", well the legs disagreed with the brain, I tripped and fell. Has if that was not embarrassing enough, I could not get back up off the ground. :embarassed: I just sat there while everyone laughed at me, (Yes, they laughed not to hurt my feelings, I am sure it was funny to them) then someone tried to help me up and they couldn't lift me. I was crying inside :sad: and I just wanted to die! I, of course, made a joke about if we were attacked by zombies they now knew who they could trip to save themselves. Then I finally got up by myself hurting my already torn meniscus in my left knee and continued on with the evening. However, that was the day when I decided enough was enough. I have been working out ever since, joined this site, and have dropped 12lbs! Whenever I get to the point where I don't think I can I do it, I think of that day and I come back with a vengeance. :bigsmile:
  • hadesflame
    hadesflame Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had lost and gained and lost and gained. I got down to 230 from 342 over the course of 5 years and stalled. Last October, I was just sick of being heavy. I was tired of being the "funny" fat girl. I was sick of having just a "great personality". I had heard for so many years from my parents and grandparents that I would be so pretty if I just lost weight. I got a divorce, because he said he didn't like me smaller and wanted to split up. So I started to lose again. I was 215 then, I am 160 now. I want to get down to 140 by September. (earlier if possible)

You look awesome!! And to hell with anyone who doesn't want to be with you when you're a healthy weight! I believe you'll reach your goal. Only 20 lbs left. That's so amazing!! :drinker:
  • bexy_27
    bexy_27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been back and forth for several years, but I saw a video of myself from behind back in January. I hadn't realized I waddle when I walk. :embarassed:

Now I'm competing with a friend (we have a pretty awesome monthly reward system - mani, pedi, handbag, massage, new outfit) to eventually reach a pretty big milestone. We are both about the same size/weight and she has been considering weight loss surgery. I am against it after seeing the results for both my mom and dad (my dad passed recently due to complications following gastric bypass). We are pushing each other to reach a BMI that no longer qualifies for weight loss surgery.
  • photochick69
    Options
    My final straw was when my size 20s were getting too tight, and my weight (being only 5'2") was 216lbs.
    I've been working on it since December 2009. My initial goal was to drop below 200lbs by our vacation March 2010 (also back to a comfy size 18). I succeeded in this goal, and, by chance of circumstances, was "rewarded" with an egagement ring.
    Slowly, but surely, I dropped down to a snuggish (not too tight, but not loose either) size 12 (size 14 comfortably). This was by February 2011. I was also down to 162.
    Unfortunately, last summer was a series of milestones for 3 months in a row: my fiance's 30th in May, my sister-in-law's 30th in June, and my 30th in July. As a result of that summer, I was back up to 184lbs, and a size 16.
    I knew I had to get back to it so I will look good in our wedding pictures.
    I'm back to my 12/14 size, and 171lbs. I'm hoping to drop 6 more before the wedding in 3 weeks. And hopefully continue past that point too and be able to be comfy in a size 12, hopefully get into a size 10.
  • mocavine
    mocavine Posts: 2
    Options
    after seeing a picture of me with family... didn't know everything was that bad. everybody else but me looked very good, even after having kids. don't want to have pictures like that anymore. it's hard to look into other peoples albums and find a horrifying photo with me.. yikes!! should put one of those on the fridge :)))
  • Bry8432
    Bry8432 Posts: 37
    Options
    After getting ready to go out on the town, (freshly 21), and all of my conservative clothes do not fit. And if they did it was far from attractive and that's when I decided I was was going to devote my whole summer to changing my life and here I am.
  • AprilP24
    AprilP24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My mom sent me an email with a link to a clinic that specializes in gastric bypass surgery and other weight loss surgeries! I was stunned for a bit then I was pissed..... not at her.... at myself. I consider that surgery to be an emergency-last-resort.... I have not given myself enought dedication and serious effort in doing it on my own... I haven't even done Weight Watchers or called Jenny yet!!! I am not getting surgery when I haven't even TRIED ON MY OWN yet! So, with that, I signed up for this account (which my mom also told me about.... thanks for this one, Ma!) and have been working out and watching what I eat. I have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks and I am confident that this site will help me reach my goals.
    Please feel free to add me as a friend/contact on here... I need all of the positive support I can get!!!
  • e_trexler
    e_trexler Posts: 32
    Options
    When I went to the gyn for a new birth control and while it works, and she said it would, she said, "You're within the weight range, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you lost some weight."

I went back a month later for a check up and she was stunned. I had lost four pounds. She asked me if what she said had pushed me to do that, and I said yes. And she said, "Well, you are probably the only woman to ever LOSE weight while on Implanon."

She asked what I was doing to lose and she's suggesting MFP to others now as a result. I have A LOT more to lose, but that's really what did it. I was causally counting calories, but now, I'm doing it religiously. I had to stop 30 DS for a couple of reasons, but aim to get back on it as soon as I am clear of this last illness.
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I honestly have no idea. I've always been big, the biggest person in the room. I guess because I've always been overweight I was sort of used to it. My husband loves me and has no issues and no one bugs me about my weight (although they should have). I literally just woke up one day and told my husband this is it. Today is the day. Now I'm in the gym 6 days a week and counting calories like nobody's business. I've had great success in the past few weeks and, for me so far, it's not even that hard. I think I'm just tired of limiting my life because of my weight. I adore my husband and want to fully enjoy our time together having lots of adventures. It's also helped me a lot that he put on quite a bit of weight after we got married and he's on this journey with me! Not that I'm glad he gained weight, but I'm glad he's so open to change and is incredibly supportive!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    When getting out of bed every morning became a chore - my feet and legs hurt so bad, just from walking around during the day, I knew it wouldnt be long before I wasnt able to walk on my own.

A couple of months before I started, a very close friend of mine died in a car accident. She was a year older than me, a single mom of 3 kids, and LIVED life to the fullest - she ran marathons, worked on SAR, and was involved in the PTO. I could barely get out of bed and get thru my day. I decided in her honor, I HAD to LIVE. She would have loved to live and see her kids grow up, and here I was, slowly killing myself. That was reality.

I made the changes in my life I did for me, but also to honor my dearest friend. Now, I am running, toning and planning on doing the warrior dash in her honor this summer!!
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    Several people asked me "how far along I was".
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i had always been overweight or obese but the final straw was realising that my weight was holding me back from doing certain things like going out dancing with my friends, swimming, just generally enjoying life, i was ashamed to go out. i have now lost 110 pounds, 22 more to go and ive finally realised there is much more to life than cake and chocolate!