Coughing up the calories? icky nasty colds..

cordova_chick6
cordova_chick6 Posts: 11
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so my 2 year old brought home a really nasty cold and I can't quit coughing! I am just wondering if you can burn calories coughing? it feels like I am getting one hell of a workout with all this coughing and I am too tired to do any real exercises so I am hoping I am atleast accomplishing something. I don't like to take meds for colds, so atleast I'm not gaining them back that way. it is forcing me to drink plenty of water, and I don't have much of an appetite. (I am making myself fill my calorie quota for the day though, which isn't hard with certain foods.. lol) anyways I am sure there are other people suffering right along with me. it sucks and someday I will be over this!

Replies

• pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Everything you do burns calories. Breathing, walking, talking. The list can go on and on. I wouldnt log it though. Just my opinion.

Hope you feel better soon and can get back on the workout wagon!:flowerforyou:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    No need to penny pinch for calories. You can be sick and not feel guilty about heading to the gym or squeezing in a workout. If you really want to get a bit of a workout while staying at home, pick up a couple soup cans and do some light weight exercises.

Feel better soon!
  • lol I know we constantly burn calories. the soup can thing cracks me up lol! It was more out of curiousity wondering how much we burn having a coughing fit. I was surprised to find out how many calories we can burn by just resting and doing everyday things. its amazing! makes you feel like you did do something even if you didn't actually exercise that day. still didn't find an answer to the question but oh well, doesn't really matter. all I care is that I get over this darn cold! haha! thank you guys!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member

You can be sick and not feel guilty about heading to the gym or squeezing in a workout.

:noway: and they wonder why I carry my alcohol spray at the gym!:tongue:

I avoid the gym and other public places when I am sick and contagious.

I hope you feel better soon! The soup cans may make you LOL, but I did that in the beginning! Also, you can use your body weight to do push ups, squates, lunges and tricep dips.

Or better yet, rest and get better. :flowerforyou:

:heart: Jeannie
  • I think I like the rest and get better part. haha. (although I am feeling good enough now that I think I will take my dog out for a nice walk tomorrow - weather permitting) the biggest problem with this darned cold is the coughing! my throat and my upper abs hurt from coughing so much, and I keep losing my voice! ugh! hopefully all this suffering and coughing will work out in my favor ;o) lol. (probably wishful thinking but hey! one can only hope!)
    thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.