New workout & question re: whey for women!

Options

Replies

• amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to have the protein immediately after working out, pretty sure that's been disproven, so the timing of your shake isn't as important as making sure you reach your protein goal for the day!

Whey protein is better after working out as it helps to repair your muscles. It is definitly better to take after a work out.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I pretty sure protein won't make you bulky especially if you are working out. I have my own macros set to put protein at 30% (I use the 40-30-30 ratio for carbs-protein-fat). I also use protein shakes after I work out. So long as it fits in your calorie range, I don't see what the problem would be.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    I don't think you have to have the protein immediately after working out, pretty sure that's been disproven, so the timing of your shake isn't as important as making sure you reach your protein goal for the day!

Ever heard of the "window of opportunity"? Guess not. There is a 30 minute period after a workout in which you should be refeeding your body with carbs and protein. Your muscles are biochemically primed for nurtient intake during this period of time.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    I pretty sure protein won't make you bulky especially if you are working out. I have my own macros set to put protein at 30% (I use the 40-30-30 ratio for carbs-protein-fat). I also use protein shakes after I work out. So long as it fits in your calorie range, I don't see what the problem would be.

Because your body absorbs protein differently. You can't take in 50% of your calories from protein just like you shouldn't be taking in 50% of calories from fat. Nutrition is about balance they are macronutrient reccomendations for a reason. It's NOT just about the number of calories you are taking in.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options

Ever heard of the "window of opportunity"? Guess not. There is a 30 minute period after a workout in which you should be refeeding your body with carbs and protein. Your muscles are biochemically primed for nurtient intake during this period of time.

^^^ Absolutely 100% yes yes yes!! Always always always refuel yourself after a workout.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Because your body absorbs protein differently. You can't take in 50% of your calories from protein just like you shouldn't be taking in 50% of calories from fat. Nutrition is about balance they are macronutrient reccomendations for a reason. It's NOT just about the number of calories you are taking in.

I never said she should take in 50% of her calories in protein. I told her that I personally follow a ratio that has me at 30% that I have seen in a few different places about lifting. I am also not advocating for macronutrient imbalance, I apologize if it looked that way. I do think she should get it naturally, but I also don't see a problem with shakes either.
    I was just sharing what I am trying to do.
    :/
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I had the O.N shake as a meal replacement after my run, with a banana. I will have my other one before I hit the gym for weights tonight :-)

My goal ratio is 45 carbs, 30 protein, 25 fat.

2 shakes a day is lot for someone who isn't trying to build muscle, you might want to try and get more protein from food sources.

I totally agree 2 shakes a day is a lot. Try getting your protien naturally because drinking too much of the whey protien can make you gain weight. The naturall way is always the best.

omg stfu with this nonsense. drinking 60 grams of protein from 2 shakes is not going to make you gain more weight than if you ate a steak. it's about total calories. what a ridiculous thing to say.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

I never said she should take in 50% of her calories in protein. I told her that I personally follow a ratio that has me at 30% that I have seen in a few different places about lifting. I am also not advocating for macronutrient imbalance, I apologize if it looked that way. I do think she should get it naturally, but I also don't see a problem with shakes either.
    I was just sharing what I am trying to do.
    :/

Didn't mean to suggest you reccomened 50% protein intake, just an example. This was the statement I diagreed with "So long as it fits in your calorie range, I don't see what the problem would be." but from what you've said now, you do think that a specific ratio is important and I agree :)
  • dane11235813
    Options

you know that's a myth right? guess not!
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I had the O.N shake as a meal replacement after my run, with a banana. I will have my other one before I hit the gym for weights tonight :-)

2 shakes a day is lot for someone who isn't trying to build muscle, you might want to try and get more protein from food sources.

I totally agree 2 shakes a day is a lot. Try getting your protien naturally because drinking too much of the whey protien can make you gain weight. The naturall way is always the best.

omg stfu with this nonsense. drinking 60 grams of protein from 2 shakes is not going to make you gain more weight than if you ate a steak. it's about total calories. what a ridiculous thing to say.

riggghhhttt. Except for most steaks don't have 60 grams of protein in them. The idea obviously is that a FEMALE who is NOT looking to build muscle and IS looking to lose weight doesn't need 160 grams of protein in her diet. And if she's taking in 100 grams of protein (which still may be a tad high) then she doesn't need to get 60% of it from a shake. No it will not make her fat. But you should try to get your protein from food sources and supplement as needed. If she has to get it that way, then fine. But I wouldn't reccomend it, no. And I've never heard of someone who is NOT trying to GAIN muscle taking 2 shakes a day. Do you take 2 shakes a day? You weigh 228lbs and only have 210 grams of protein as your goal.
  • amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

First of all you can definitly gain weight by taking whey protein. It has happened to me in the past and others I know. That is why some use it to bulk up. Please do your research before you post nonsense dane
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

Lemme know when you get that 500lb deadlift.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

also I don't take bodybuilding advice from runners, I take bodybuilding advice from bodybuilders
  • dane11235813
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

riggghhhttt. Except for most steaks don't have 60 grams of protein in them. The idea obviously is that a FEMALE who is NOT looking to build muscle and IS looking to lose weight doesn't need 160 grams of protein in her diet. And if she's taking in 100 grams of protein (which still may be a tad high) then she doesn't need to get 60% of it from a shake. No it will not make her fat. But you should try to get your protein from food sources and supplement as needed. If she has to get it that way, then fine. But I wouldn't reccomend it, no. And I've never heard of someone who is NOT trying to GAIN muscle taking 2 shakes a day. Do you take 2 shakes a day? You weigh 228lbs and only have 210 grams of protein as your goal.

thanks for creeping my profile, but i don't even log my food because i know how to eat. the point is that the poster said that drinking whey protein will make a person gain weight which is totally false.

eating too many calories will make a person gain weight. it doesn't matter where the calories come from. shakes, steak, vegetables, chocolate bars....it's about calories in vs calories out.
    to try and blame whey protein on weight gain is ridiculous.
  • dane11235813
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

First of all you can definitly gain weight by taking whey protein. It has happened to me in the past and others I know. That is why some use it to bulk up. Please do your research before you post nonsense dane

you gain weight from eating too many calories. quit confusing the OP with your nonsense.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's just protein. Look at your diary. Need more protein? If yes, then go ahead and add whey if you want. If no, then go ahead and don't add whey if you don't want.

There's nothing about whey that makes it magical or really any different than, say chicken breast.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

thanks for creeping my profile, but i don't even log my food because i know how to eat. the point is that the poster said that drinking whey protein will make a person gain weight which is totally false.

eating too many calories will make a person gain weight. it doesn't matter where the calories come from. shakes, steak, vegetables, chocolate bars....it's about calories in vs calories out.
    to try and blame whey protein on weight gain is ridiculous.

Creeping aka checking out the source of the ridiculousness. I believe everyone should check out exactly who's behind the "advice" posted.
  • dane11235813
    Options
    It's just protein. Look at your diary. Need more protein? If yes, then go ahead and add whey if you want. If no, then go ahead and don't add whey if you won't want.

There's nothing about whey that makes it magical or really any different than, say chicken breast.

forget it taso. the concept is too hard for some people to grasp.
  • RosesFitNotes
    RosesFitNotes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I average AT LEAST .8 X my body weight in protein. I do cardio and weight training. because I TEACH fitness classes they may be multiple times a day -or evening. You will not bulk up in a calorie deficit but you will maintain and increase your lean muscle mass.( which should raise our metabolism and burn more calories). i like Dymatize brand Elite whey protein. 1 scoop in my morning oatmeal. one scoop immediately after every workout regardless if i am going to have my meal afterwards. Optimum Nutrition's amino energy is great pre-workout, but it does have caffeine. after an evening workout I use BSN's Amino X for endurance or recovery (no caffeine) I believe women don't get enough protein. keep up the good work.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Actually yes, and as I said, it's been disproven. But keep doing what's working for you. That's all that really matters.