Top 10 protein sources OTHER than chicken

Options
From an email I received

You've probably had a little too much grilled chicken lately...and that gets BORING.

So here are a bunch of other options to add some variety in to your weekly meal plan (in no particular order).

1. Eggs - Eat the whole egg, not just the white. The yolk is actually the most nutrient dense portion of the egg, providing a ton of vitamins and minerals...and it has the benefit of making the egg taste mo' better.

2. Shrimp - Grill 'em up, or sautee them in some organic butter or extra virgin olive oil. Mix with veggies and enjoy.

3. Salmon - An awesome fatty fish containing loads of protein and a healthy dose of uber-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.

4. Protein Powder - Super convenient and great for those between meal snacks. Look for a brand that contains both slow and fast acting proteins like whey (fast) and casein (slow) for hours of protein feeding your muscles from a single shake.

5. Ground Turkey - Super lean and great for chili. Mmmmm chili. Make some. Eat some. Enjoy some.

6. Pork - The "other" white meat, just as lean as chicken when you get the right cut. Go for the boneless chops and trim the outer fatty edge.

7. Chicken Sausage - You probably won't notice the difference between chicken sausage and "regular" pork sausage, but it contains a much more moderate amount of fat...great for those protein and carb meals.

8. Beans - Like black beans, kidney beans, red beans, navy beans, black eyed peas, lentils and the list goes on and on are actually the least exensive protein source in AMERICA (and probably every other part of the world as well). Low glycemic, crazy high in fiber. Add it to your turkey chili, or any other meal you want for that matter.

9. Bison - All the taste of beef while being incredibly lean. Great for protein and carb meals when you're wanting to limit the fat content of a meal while still packing a mean flavor punch. KA-POW!

10. Grass-fed Beef - Grass fed beef is rich in CLA, a special fat that has actually been shown to result in fat LOSS. Eat this shizzle...tastes great, great for your figure.

11. Greek Yogurt. BONUS!! I love bonuses, don't you? Of course you do...everyone loves bonuses. Greek yogurt packs twice the protein of regular yogurt. Go with the plain variety and sweeten with a packet of stevia or truvia (my favorite non-calorie sweetener) if you'd like.

Replies

• ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Awesome list, thank you!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting!!!
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 68
    Options
    Don't know if it's just the UK - but have to eat a ton of beans to get much protein - they seem to be upto 6% protein, compared to about 25% for pure meat sources
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Some of my favourites!
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Suprisingly, asparagus has ton of protein, too!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Great list!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Uh...OMG THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great list thanks for taking the time to post
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love plain greek yogurt with truvia and half a banana. So filling and delicious! Oh and I sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on it. It's like heaven.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I eat all of these but a few! I LOVE beans. Black eye peas, black beans, and chickpeas are almost always in my pantry. Throw some on a homemade tostada with some cheese and sour cream, yum.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I love plain greek yogurt with truvia and half a banana. So filling and delicious! Oh and I sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on it. It's like heaven.

Don't know why, been when I first read this I thought it said TUNA and banana. I thought, well that's interesting...
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that some dairy products have a decent amount of protein in them too! 7g in 6oz of milk, 7g in the cheese that I like (Cabot extra sharp cheddar). Not crazy amounts but it adds up to a decent contribution (depending on your protein goals).
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great list. Thanks!
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My favorite fish is Tilapia it also has as much Protein as Chicken.
  • SweetT415
    SweetT415 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Fromage Frais also has a high protein content - the one I eat has 12g protein per 150 grammes compared to 15 in greek yoghurt and then I add pumpkin seeds which gives me another 7g of protein for 20 g of seeds. Yummy brekkie :-)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that some dairy products have a decent amount of protein in them too! 7g in 6oz of milk, 7g in the cheese that I like (Cabot extra sharp cheddar). Not crazy amounts but it adds up to a decent contribution (depending on your protein goals).

If you like cheese, Gruyere is good for protein content
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Love grilled salmon.

Amazingly, ALL THREE of our picky-eater kids like it too. That's like lightning striking three times!