What HRM do you use and would your recommend it??

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the few Suunto users on here. Aside from the lack of GPS, I couldn't be happier. It's a good outdoors watch too - can really take a beating.
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a PolarFt4 and love it.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Polar F7 and definitely. :)
  • goldyd
    goldyd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 and absolutely love it... one of my MFPs recommended it :)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I need to know this as well. I made a HMR purchase -- Sportline S7. The problem I am having is that it seems that it calculates calories burned for me that are higher than the online calculators so I don't know which to log.

Exe. 40 minute brisk (almost a jog) HRM says 400 cals, online calculators say anywhere from 247-318
    38 yr, 204 lb, 5'5"

AAARRGGHHH!
    I'll take any advice!!
    Sherrie
    :grumble:

:smooched: :smooched: :smooched: For walking briskly or jogging its basically 100 calories per mile.
    :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I need to know this as well. I made a HMR purchase -- Sportline S7. The problem I am having is that it seems that it calculates calories burned for me that are higher than the online calculators so I don't know which to log.

Exe. 40 minute brisk (almost a jog) HRM says 400 cals, online calculators say anywhere from 247-318
    38 yr, 204 lb, 5'5"

AAARRGGHHH!
    I'll take any advice!!
    Sherrie
    :grumble:
    I would log what your HRM reads, it has got to be more accurate then any online website since it's actually reading your heartrate during your activity. I love my Polar FT7!

I recently got a Sportline too. I would say log what your HRM says.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. I'd recommend it.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I bought a Timex at their outlet because I like the look of the Ironman watches over the Polar. You put all your information into the watch and it does calculate calories burned but I find compared to the online calculators it's high. I sent Timex a message and they said I could send it back and they could check it, but, I got it on a huge sale ($25) so it didn't seem worth the money to send it in to be looked at. It does a good job with the HR and keeping track of that so I just use an online calculator and plug that in here. If Polar made a watch I liked the look of I'd probably buy that. Either that or I'll just wait until Timex comes out with a better one that works better for women. I think the problem is that you don't put in male or female into the calculation. Oh, mine does have a chest strap. I wouldn't buy one without one.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Polar WearLink®+ transmitter Nike+ My husband bought it for me as a surprise. I love it. It transmits info to my iPod via a receiver and tells me how I'm doing, and when I upload my iPod online, it takes me to Nike + to give me all my stats.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    have a pink polar ft4 and love it, too! great prices on bodytronics :)
  • hopewilbanks
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it.
  • poetinmyheart
    poetinmyheart Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 here too. Works great, haven't had an issue with it.
  • Gatominx
    Gatominx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a suunto and love it!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT!!!

Another vote for the FT4. It's as simple as can be and I love it!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you buy one that allows you to replace the batteries in the chest strap yourself. For some of them you have to replace the whole chest strap each time it runs out of power I've been told.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Scosche myTREK which I like very much and find invaluable. It has a arm sensor, no awkward chest monitor, and connects to my iPhone by Bluetooth, so no adapters required. The app that comes with it looks very pretty but is buggy and unreliable. I use the Digifit iPhone app works really well with it.

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2218
  • wofford16
    wofford16 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have a New Balance HRT Slim/ Slim Mini. I purchased it from Target for $65 and it's a HRM, watch, and Pedometer. It has lots of features and I have been been pretty happy with it.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've got the Garmin FR60 with the HRM strap and foot pod. It's not a GPS watch, but that is both a pro and a con. I do like it and was happy to spend the $170 for the whole package deal. Got it as a refurb unit off Garmin's discount website.

Pro: simple to set up. good battery life so far (using near daily for 3+ months). Wireless transfer to computer is simple and reliable. HRM only pairs with your watch, so no interference from someone next to you at the gym.

Con: No GPS so no mapping routes on the unit. Have to use Garmin's website to get calories burned out (simple but annoying). HRM only pairs with the watch, not the elliptical / treadmill / stair machine at the gym.

As for what I log, I know HRM, the machine and MFPs estimates are all ballpark at best. I log the lowest of the 3 for most every cardio exercise I do. Most of the time that was either MFP estimate for walking or the machine for elliptical. Recently my HRM calorie burn for the elliptical workout has dropped below the machine estimate as I've gotten in better shape. They are all going to vary, so just be consistent.
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT!!!

^^ Same here. Oh and it was cheap. Maybe $60 on amazon
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 - I found it online for about $75 with tax. Polar works with most gym equipment and are waterproof swimming (just not deep diving). the transmitter belt that you wear around your chest is pretty comfortable (and fits even my large girth), and i put the watch in my pocket when I'm doing something that makes the watch inconvenient (like playing volleyball or something outdoors during the day where I don't want tan (who am i kidding - sunburn) lines