I am a GLUTTONOUS PIG

Options
Hi, I am a gluttonous pig. For about 2 months I have been eating healthy but last night I ruined it all. I will tell you my sad story:

It all started when I was feeling a bit peckish after dinner, I decided to have one Weet Bix with honey. That one Weet Bix turned into about 10, in a space of 5 minutes. I then had half a big box of Uncle Tobys Plus cereal, a big bowl of milo cereal followed by a nutri grain bar.

But did I stop there? NO!

I continued to eat two HUMUNGOUS spoons of Nutella straight from the jar, about 2 litres of icecream, with Ice Magic and chocolate sauce of course, Half a packet of oreos, a few LCM bars and a big container of my sisters left over chinese. This all happened in a space of half an hour.

My stomach hurts. I just woke up from a 8 hour food coma and my stomach still hurts. I didn't enter my calories of the day because its so so so embarrassing. I most probably ate more than 5000 cals over my daily limit.

I eat 1800 cals a day and don't need to lose weight, I just joined MFP to get healthy. I wasn't even that hungry, why did I eat so much? Why am I such a gluttonous pig? How do I stop this from happening again?

Replies

• likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Happens to us all in different forms and amounts.

If it were me, I'd write yesterday off, and move on. You may have lost one battle, but you've won many days before -- and you're here to win the war! One day at a time.
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sounds like emotional eating, maybe you need to see what is going on in your life to cause you to medicate with food, that is how I see it.

I hope that you can resolve all of this, and remember we all stumble, then we get back up and move forward!
  • Mojorisen1
    Mojorisen1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lots of us have those days, although maybe not to that degree. It could be a sign that 1800 calories/day is not enough for you though. You may want to double check your daily caloric need. If you notice this is a pattern though, you may also want to look into joining a group in your area, something like Overeaters Anonymous, to help find out why you do this sort of thing.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    Sorry that you are going through this.

Staying away from processed food & meal planning works well with me. I donated the unopened food in cans, jars, boxes & any processed food. I kept a few like mustard (everyone has to have a mustard) then I focus on buying wholefood. I buy enough to last my family a whole week.

I know that for some people, meal planning takes out the spontaneity & fun but it doesn't have to be boring. I don't label my food "mondays", "tuesdays" but I love knowing that no matter what I pulled out from the fridge, it is something that is not so high in fat or salt even if I indulge a little.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I can tell you one thing...you didn't ruin it all...tomorrow is a new day..
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    Pick yourself up and dust yourself off. We've all had these moments in one way or another. Don't let it get you down. Get right back up, drink lots of water and hit the restart button.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What is one lost battle in a war for a lifetime? I've been there plently of times. Buck up and push on. That was last night, this is today, don't dwell on things you can't change.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options

PRECISELY.

Some of us have an unnatural relationship with food and we use it as a drug. One slip doesn't make you a failure, it just means you are human.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Last month, I ate an entire box of Girl Scout cookies in half an hour, among various other things I no longer remember.

Last week, I ate four tiramisu cupcakes, among various other things I no longer remember.

Today, I ate a delicious, healthy breakfast, a great lunch, and I'm about to have homemade pizza for dinner--all staying under my calories.

Failure isn't falling down--it's STAYING down. We all need to get back up again sometimes.
  • Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Please dont be so hard on yourself, the fact that you joined this site means you know whats good for you. Just leave yesterday there and continue on this road focused. We are only flesh and blood and we fail at times. Limit the damage and get on with healthy eating. Stay strong.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

PRECISELY.

Some of us have an unnatural relationship with food and we use it as a drug. One slip doesn't make you a failure, it just means you are human.

^^^this^^^ tomorrow is a new day.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day! :flowerforyou: Use your binge as a lesson. Take note of how your feeling: kind of sick and maybe a little guilty/ upset, and remember that next time you feel like you may do this again. Plus this kind of thing happens, it just is not easy and whatever goal your working towards (you said you don't need to lose weight so Idk your goal lol) is not going to be linear. There will be ups and downs but nothing you can't get through.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I would say just don't bring it home from the store next time.
  • Karenmm1960
    Karenmm1960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It was days like that that I never thought I would be able to lose weight or even control my eating habits. Now I just do it one day at at a time and keep thinking "It is not the number of times you fall, but the number of times you get back up". Don't quit on yourself. You can do it, but maybe not on your own. Support from a group or close friend. When I start into that pattern I call my friend and together we figure out why I am doing that to myself. Once that is figured out I am on the watch for it to happen again.
    It does get easier in time.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone- don't be so hard on yourself! You are at least THINKING about it...and even WORRIED about your unhealthy eating so you are halfway there! Oh, and BTW I have done what you describered, and much, much worse episodes more than 100 times. Who knows what causes it in you? Everyone is different, so you just have to pay attention to how you feel. I found that after not logging a lot of binges- I slowly started forcing myself to log it. Now I log everything everytime. Hell, Sunday I went to a Cirqu de Soleil show and ate about +3000 above maintnance :noway: Feel free to look at my food diary and have a good laugh. 700something calories on popcorn. It was good though! Carmel corn with chocolate and something else- I'm getting off track here...... That was after only eating about 200 calories all day in order to save up for the night.

The point is **it happens and it sucks, but if it makes you feel bad, then you just gotta keep on a healthy track- think of yesterday as more of a kick in the butt to get you motivated to eat the way that will make you feel good about your choices
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    your body prolly REALYREALY wanted the fat, im not being mean my body dose this to alot. i just look at it as one bad day wont spoil them all:wink:
  • aradalj1
    aradalj1 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. I still live at home and although no one in my big family is overweight, the pantry is always stocked with unhealthy crap, making it so easy to indulge in gluttony. You are all right. I will get back on track today and feel so much better.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It happens :tongue:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    You didn't really ruin things... you are just seeing and living by yourself it takes time. This is piece by piece that you will find your rhythm. Maybe your intakes are not the good ones or maybe you are putting too much depravation and control in the diet. The more solid a glass is...and the more it will likely to break
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a gluttonous pig. For about 2 months I have been eating healthy but last night I ruined it all. I will tell you my sad story:

It all started when I was feeling a bit peckish after dinner, I decided to have one Weet Bix with honey. That one Weet Bix turned into about 10, in a space of 5 minutes. I then had half a big box of Uncle Tobys Plus cereal, a big bowl of milo cereal followed by a nutri grain bar.

But did I stop there? NO!

I continued to eat two HUMUNGOUS spoons of Nutella straight from the jar, about 2 litres of icecream, with Ice Magic and chocolate sauce of course, Half a packet of oreos, a few LCM bars and a big container of my sisters left over chinese. This all happened in a space of half an hour.

My stomach hurts. I just woke up from a 8 hour food coma and my stomach still hurts. I didn't enter my calories of the day because its so so so embarrassing. I most probably ate more than 5000 cals over my daily limit.

I eat 1800 cals a day and don't need to lose weight, I just joined MFP to get healthy. I wasn't even that hungry, why did I eat so much? Why am I such a gluttonous pig? How do I stop this from happening again?
    You can start by being kinder with yourself - we all make mistakes. Just say "Okay, I will do better next time." Punishing yourself does no good, and can only lead to more destructive behaviours (binging, purging, etc.)

You can try to not buy the foods that tempt you (Nutella is delicious, but also tempting!), or ask people living with you to please hide those foods from you, perhaps.

Either way, it happens to the best of us.