Best thing to order at a Mexican restaurant?

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    If you don't get your marg with the glass rimmed with salt, the calories of the meal don't count. :drinker:

I'm sure I read that on the internet once! :bigsmile:
    You did. I wrote it on my wall and you read it.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You know what? If they have something called "molcajete", get it. They can usually feed 2-3 people.

It's a lava rock mortar and pestle filled with all kinds of goodies. Common components: carne asada, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, some tasty fresh cheese, big Mexican green onions, cactus leaves, avacado, chorizo.

molcajete.jpg
    These are soooo good and now I want one........with a margarita or a Dos XX!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    chicken fajitas :)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do don't order the chow mein!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    water with lemon
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    This is more like the one I get. Remember: molcajete. Pronounced mole-caw-heh-teh.

Better yet -- jot it down. Don't worry about pronunciation. Just show it to the waiter.

IMG_0877.JPG
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have to go to dinner tonight at a Mexican food restaurant but don't want to get off track. What should I order? fajitas? :huh:

Yes fajitas and instead of rice ask for Black beans and limit how many tortillas you eat... and stay away from Margaritas !!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    anything with mole.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    ... and stay away from Margheritas
    The pizza? She's going Mexican, not Italian.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I get shrimp tacos... they are usually not too bad. Corn tortillas are less cals (and carbs and salt) than flour and try to stay out of the "free" chips... they're only free in the sense that you don't have to pay for them with cash, but they will get you in the calorie department if you aren't paying attention. DON'T get a taco salad, that deep fried flour tortilla will wreck your whole day (believe me!!)
    It's okay if you go over a little, it's fun to eat out at Mexican places...
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you know what restaurant you are going to, try finding the nutritional info online first and choosing something before you go. I did this once and ended up getting the "healthiest" thing which was a chili relleno (some places fry them but this place did not- it was baked). It was really good too!
  • Shajadea
    Shajadea Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are usually a safe bet. Sometimes they will have a vegetarian menu with some pretty neat lower cal options. Our local place has lettuce wraps! BUT as much as I love Mexican, if I was going I would use it as a splurge day and get what I love, Carnitas. I know it's not an expectable practice but I would either skip breakfast or have a protein shake and save most of my calories for my meal.
  • SkinnyTopher
    Options
    Some places (though usually the more Westernized ones) will allow you to substitute tortillas with lettuce leaves. Fresh salsa (I'd recommend pico de gallo) is always a healthy-but-flavorful "condiment." Try to avoid the cheese, or at least dust about half of it off. And try to avoid the sour cream, too.
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Albondiga soup is not too bad in calories (depending on how it is made). Pollo asado (grilled chicken) corn tortillas and some salsa fresca :) yummy
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Some places (though usually the more Westernized ones) will allow you to substitute tortillas with lettuce leaves.
    When did Mexico join the Eastern Hemisphere? Did you mean "Americanized"?
  • schenry417
    schenry417 Posts: 11
    Options
    Such a timely post. Last week I had to meet people at Cozymel's which is loaded with just about every possible fattening item on the menu. I did a little research and it is suggested that beef fajitas are the healthiest things to eat at a mexican restaurant. If you can get them to substitute the tortillas for lettuce cups, then you can do beef fajitas wraps. yes, I know it's surprising to hear that beef is better than chicken, but it is generally lower in calories and fat from restaurants.
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm on Atkins so I just order carne asada with grilled onions/peppers, avocado, and cheese.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I vote for chicken fajitas!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1. Ceviche (marinated fish)
    2. Soft tacos (the actual mexican style ones with salsa, meat and maybe some beans on a corn tortilla)
    3. Posole
    4. tortilla soup (no cheese)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Some places (though usually the more Westernized ones) will allow you to substitute tortillas with lettuce leaves.
    When did Mexico join the Eastern Hemisphere? Did you mean "Americanized"?
    [/quote

:laugh: