Breaking the Soda habit

Options
Ok, I am a regualr coke fan and drink it daily... I need to break the habit but when I stop or cut back I get headaches worse than my already normal migraines that can last for days upon days. How do I break this habit but not cause myself any additional migraines? Suggestions?

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think you have to stop and suffer through the misery for a while. I don't have migraines, so I can't speak to that, but when I quit my Coke habit, I had headaches and felt tired and irritable for a few days. It does get better. As far as I know, drinking a lot of soda doesn't do anything to prevent migraines, so it seems like what you're experiencing might be a withdrawal headache on top of a migraine.

I tried to quit soda many times before I finally did it. The only thing that worked was going cold turkey for a month, replacing soda with plain carbonated water (I bought a home carbonator). Now I allow myself one a week, though most of the time I don't even have it , it's just psychologically useful to feel like I can have one every once in awhile.
  • JillSandm
    JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering Coke fiend. I started just trying to go one day, and had to supplement with coffee and ibuprofen for the headaches. After a couple weeks of being able to skip a day with Coke, I tried to skip a whole weekend. Try to pick days where you know you'll be busy enough to keep your mind off your addiction.

Over the last two months, I've been able to get to the point where I'm now not getting headaches, and not having to drink so much coffee. I still want a Coke - every day - but I know if I give in, I'm back to the beginning. So, for now, I stay away from it. My goal is not to give up Coke forever, just long enough that I can feel confident about enjoying one some day without being chained up by addiction again.

Good luck - I think if you give it a try, you'll thank yourself later!
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Sounds like you're having caffeine withdrawals... and, as someone who suffers with migraines as well, caffeine is often a primary ingredient of migraine medication... I kicked the soda habit by telling myself it's poison... might seem a bit heavy handed, but that was it... not that I don't crave one from time to time, but won't let myself backslide. I know Exedrine used to make a migraine med with caffeine... may want to check that out and see if it helps...at least until you get past the withdrawal...
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    Edit for not reading thoroughly...

If you are already weaning off of it, then you may have to suffer if ibuprofen/nsaids don't work. Your body is addicted, it will pass within time.

I was a pepsi fiend, and after about 1 month of weaning and many headache's and agitations, I have not had a drink of it since last June! It is very hard, but you will feel so much better.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am a regualr coke fan and drink it daily... I need to break the habit but when I stop or cut back I get headaches worse than my already normal migraines that can last for days upon days. How do I break this habit but not cause myself any additional migraines? Suggestions?

coke zero. no bad sugar calories -- no, I'm not afraid of artificial sweeteners -- and all the caffeine.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My hubby is "addicted" to soda. He only drinks it, and coffee.

He drinks like 6-10 cans a night!

I got him to switch from regular soda to Coke Zero a few years ago. He likes the taste, and lost 10lbs.
    It is now what he drinks . . . and he drinks way too much of it!

Now, I just need him to wean him off of that too!

I used to drink a soda or 2 a day (caffeine free diet versions) but have weaned myself off by replacing it with
    decaf coffee(both iced and hot), and iced tea.

I believe there is a bigger hurdle with the caffeine issue when breaking that habit, but recommend slowly
    reducing the number of sodas you have a day, and if need be, replace them with something a bit healthier.

Good Luck!
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Another poster is cutting back slowly. He said this week he is down to a 12oz glass a day. Tomarrow he is cutting down even more. Next week he will do the same until he has weened himself of the habit. Good luck!
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Switch from regular cokes to coke zero do that for about two months, while your drinking coke zeros start working in a better drink. I chose the great value stevia sweetened strawberry kiwi drink straws in bottled water.

I went from cokes to coke zero to the drink straws and then to water.

My other big thing was sweet tea , now I drink tea where I make an entire pitcher of tea with 2-3 packets of stevia.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I used to drink only coffee & Pepsi. Pretty much quit the Pepsi cold turkey. After two weeks.without I bought myself a bottle. Couldn't wait to drink it. Opened it up, took a sip & couldn't drink any more. Tasted way too sweet.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    coke zero,,,
  • kay7jay
    kay7jay Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So I was addicted to Dr. Pepper (literally, drank it instead of water and got huge head aches when I went without it) and now I don't even like it! I started by drinking diet dr. pepper even though I didn't like the taste. I learned to enjoy it, and now when I drink regular dr. pepper it feels like it's missing something. Luckily I can take or leave diet so I am drinking way more water :) Good luck!
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was a Mountain Dew-a-holic! Bad habit for many years, I went cold turkey it was the only way I could. unfortunately I got the killer headaches (worst headaches in my life) took lots and lots of advil but after the 3rd or 4th day they started to slowly subside a little each day. Took about 10 days before they were gone, but it was so worth it in the end. Hang in there :)
  • melsmars
    melsmars Posts: 21
    Options
    used to be an avid ice cold Pepsi drinker @ least 3-4x's per day. i quit cold turkey. i've opted for flavored seltzer water (for that needed fizz kick) and add a lil bit of crystal light.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love my coke too! it was suggested I cut 1 coke out a week. so I did last week. This week I didn't and I feel really tired with adding it back. so I am going to take 1 away and just keep working at it , until it is all gone. Go slow and just cut back a little at a time.
    Good luck!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    once you do break it ..you cant go back...soda seriously made me drunk yesterday....total sugar high!! haha! cheap date! and seriously worst stomach ache ever! diet coke = evil!
  • Padmo
    Padmo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm soda free for one month. Like you, coke was my poison. I found that drowning myself in water along with jumping into exercise let me avoid the really bad withdrawals. I do not do the artificial sweeteners, so I essentially quit cold turkey.

Best of luck, If I can do it, anyone can.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I had to wean myself off of so much pop gradually, because I couldn't handle the caffeine withdrawl headaches. Now I'm down to 1 can of coke zero a week, if any at all. I couldn't totally quit it (psychological thing), but allowing myself one when I "need it" has helped hugely. I usually only drink one on my late clinical each week (4-midnight, then an hour drive home).
  • HiZ_HoNeYsUcKlE
    Options
    I looked up information on how bad sodas were fo you. I was addicted to mt dew n coke which are 2 of the worst ones for the body. I quit cold turkey. It wont easy but some of the infomation I found was scary. lol
  • hdmamma09
    hdmamma09 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 8-10 a day last week.. now I am at half can a day. in the morning so I am not scatterbrained anymore than I already am anyway. I havent had any headaches, but I will give 100 % credit to prayer on that one. My church has been praying that I would have no side effects. It's hard but it is better for your health to give them up. You can do it
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few times in the past (and again right now) and I always quit cold turkey. I usually have 3 days of a killer headache, irritability and fatigue, and then it's done and over with.