I Love Potatoes....So Much

Options
All kinds, baked potatoes, french fries, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, au gratin, any potatoes you can think of I love them...but they arent very good for me :sad: any advice on how to keep losing weight but keep eating potatoes they are my weakness thanks so much

Replies

• chelsea756
    Options
    I'm right there with you in that boat. I LOVE potatoes!
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a potato fix!!!

Betty Crocker has just put out mashed potato pouches that are 100% real potatoes and only 80 Calories per serving! 4 servings per pouch and they come in great flavors!

http://www.spudman.com/espudman/images/picture_2009_02_pic01.gif
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Small servings, try to replace traditional potato dishes with others (i.e. replace mashed taters with mashed cauliflower - trust me, it's a really close substitute), eat sweet potatos / yams in place of white, starchy potatoes.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i eat the baby or salad potatoes

try to measure your potatoes and stay away from added butter and salt

when in a restaurant, ask for potatoes with no butter/salt also

i :heart: my potatoes too! :flowerforyou:
  • slimmingmom
    Options
    OOOh....you have NO idea, lol. I love potatoes way too much too :) I'm actually eating a patatoe right now that I microwaved, then mushed (no butter, hardly any milk) and then I put a little bit of cheese on top...YUM! And sometimes i'll take a potatoe and i'll slice it into round peices and bake them in the oven (don't forget cooking spray though). I even make potatoe type salad too but I have no recipe for that cuz I just wing it every time, lol!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Try eating just plain potatoes with seasonings on them. I buy the 0 cal 0 fat butter if i am home i use that. I also put lowrys seasoning and garlic salt on there. I still eat whatever I want I measure everything out. I had mashed potatoes last night and I just measured out the serving.
  • justforme8
    justforme8 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    YUM! I LOVE THEM ALSO!! so I stay away because I just cannot trust myself yet:grumble: ... and the cravings are gone... :ohwell:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes all the time and never have a problem fitting them into my calories or carb limits. I've lost 10 pounds in the last 3 weeks, too, and 14 pounds in 3.5 weeks so I think I'm doing alright. :tongue: Potatoes are good for you -- lots of potassium & vitamin C.

I made mashed potatoes last night.
    5 medium potatoes, cut & boiled
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1 tbs light butter (I use the spreadable kind w/ canola oil because I'm not convinced canola is so very bad for me as some people here seem to be)
    2 tbs sour cream (real sour cream)
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tsp salt sub (potassium chloride so be careful if you're sensitive to potassium)
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Mash mash mash. Taste & adjust amounts of any seasonings that need adjusting.

YUM! 1/6th of the recipe is a *very generous* portion and only has about 150 calories. :wink:
    I could be perfectly satisfied with 1/2 of that serving amount and that would only have about 75 calories.
    Edit: I've also thrown a couple wedges of laughing cow light swiss into the mashed potatoes and that helps the flavor and texture while only adding about 11 calories/serving. There are tons of ways to make mashed potatoes (or potatoes in general) absolutely delicious without adding a lot of calories. Even a TBS of ligh butter and 2 tbs of full fat sour cream only add 110 calories. So, if you're having a baked potato, a lean protein, and a good helping of green veggies, your meal is easily under 500 calories even with butter and sour cream.

I love potatoes!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    make this and take out the mayo
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Potunas/Detail.aspx
    its like twice baked potatoes with tuna in em!

Otherwise its really easy to cut up some chicken breasts and potatoes into small pieces and cook em together with a little bit of seasoning or some kind of marinade in a pan and its really really good.

I love love love potatoes so I understand. I still make mashed reds with skins and sometimes I lower the milk or omit the butter, but usually I just go all out. You could always use plain yogurt to top baked potatoes or to make mashed, too.
  • mjkon
    mjkon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You also may try a baked potato with low fat cottage cheese on top. I like that better than butter.

Potatoes are a great source of Vitamin C and fiber if you eat the skins--the bad part is usually what we put on them.
  • maricampomar07
    Options
    me too
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Try eating just plain potatoes with seasonings on them. I buy the 0 cal 0 fat butter if i am home i use that. I also put lowrys seasoning and garlic salt on there. I still eat whatever I want I measure everything out. I had mashed potatoes last night and I just measured out the serving.

I do the same. Baked potato with garlic salt or salsa. No butter or sour cream.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    For mashed use cauliflower instead. Cook til tender add lowfat cream cheese and seasoning and they are just like potatoes. You can bake it with low fat cheese on top for au gratin. Yummy! Just fool your brain :laugh: .
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you are a type O blood type this is 100% explainable. It means you crave the yeast and your body will turn yeast into fat. Yeast is in starch which is in potatoes. You will have to monitor it yourself with discipline. Pro-biotics are important for O blood types. Try to find a way to replace it with something else. Mix your potatoes with cauliflower. You have the taste of mashed potatoes but the value of veggi's. I hope this helps you out!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    potatoes arent that bad! Just eat them in moderation. Make baked french fries. Baked poatoe use low cal sour cream and butter. Cheesy potatoes I use Laughing Cow Cheese melted. There are many ways to cut back!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are lower in starch and insulin shock, so could you replace some of your white potatoes with sweet potatoes. A little bit of splenda with cinnamon and a touch of butter is yummy.
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I just had my version of french fries last night with my turkey burger.

Toss 1 medium potato, cut into slices, with salt to taste. Mist a baking sheet and tops of potatoes with cooking spray. Bake at 450 Deg for 20 min. or until done.

I even shred some potatoes and add them to my omlet. I brown them in a pan with just a coating of cooking spray, so that gives me hash browns. I only have about a 1/2 cup shredded.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I cut potatoes into 8 wedges, put them in a baggie with just a little EVOO and some various seasonings, shake, place on cookie sheet and bake. My kids love these too. I just have to make sure I only eat my 8 wedges, it's easy to eat a few potatoes this way!
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When making mashed potatoes I cut them with cauliflower.... half potatoes half cauliflower. I must admit eating all real potatoes does taste better but when you cut them there much easier on the waist line! They don't taste as good but since cauliflower has little taste they are still very yummy!:flowerforyou:
  • PeaceLoveMusicSn
    Options
    thank you guys for all the amazing advice :heart: keep it comming