The price of veggies is insane!

Options
2»

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    WOW .69 c I WISH they are about £1.00 here at the mo! :sick: double your price..... all veggies are REALLLLLY dear here they just dont want you to eat healthy....
    try reducing the meat a little and adding more veggies tho you get some of the money back and still fills you up x
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, dont come to the UK because all food is expensive here. I spend about £40 a week on fruit and veg which is daylight robbery!!!!

I was going to say! I'm stunned that anyone can complain a cucumber is too expensive to buy at under a 69c, which is, what, about 50p? A quick glance at Tesco and the price of cucumbers are 90p for a whole one, 45p for a 'portion' and 1.25 for an organic one. Which seems pretty cheap to me, I'm sure they were considerably more than that over winter.

Not that I ever buy cucumber - the MiL will provide plenty enough of them over the summer, assuming we ever get any nice weather.
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, dont come to the UK because all food is expensive here. I spend about £40 a week on fruit and veg which is daylight robbery!!!!

^ tell me about it! I remember when I first joined there was a post saying how expensive it was to eat healthily and everyone was disagreeing and I thought I was just going mad! Especially with shops like Iceland close by, where you can get a pizza for £1... spending 40 times that on fruit and veg a week has made my bank manager rather happy!
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Haha im glad im not the only one with this problem. I tried to switch to cauliflower-rice instead of my usual brown rice to help me cut down on carbs, but my local store (weis) has just 1 cauliflower head at $3.50 which is more expensive than a 2lb bag of brown rice worth 20servings! I guess i'm still stuck with those carbs for now....:(

... what is cauliflower rice?
  • citygirl4ever
    citygirl4ever Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try shopping at Farmers Markets and buying veggies that are in season. I live in the Los Angeles area so I am very lucky that I can find a Farmers Market almost any day of the week and all year round. About a month ago, I was in downtown Los Angeles and came across a Farmers Market. I bought green beans, tomatoes, strawberries, zucchine, red potatoes, and broccoli for about $7.00. The green beans were already bagged and I was afraid they would spoil before using them all so I froze 1/2 of the beans for use at later time. Get to know the farmers at your local farmers markets and sometimes they will give you a discount on their produce.