Avoiding Starvation Mode....your NET calories

Options
Ok, if you are like me, who has struggled with the exact concept of what and what not to eat of your NET calories, thus finding out that you have put your body into starvation mode and have plataeu'd in your journey.... struggle no further.

Here is the old school calculations to figure out the total calories you need in a day depending on how much you want to lose.

(1) Take your weight and x 10 that is your resting metabolic rate (RMR)
(2) then take your RMR and x by 10% if your lifestyle is sedentary, 20% for moderate daily activity, or 30% if you are really active (this is outside of your workouts) that is your Daily Activity burn (DAB).
(3) now figure out your workout calories burned on average: your Daily Exercise or DE.
(4) subtract you caloric deficit (CD) which would be to lose 1lb a week it will be 500, or 1000 to lose 2lb a week. (never go above 1000 deficit)
(5) RMR + DAB + DE - CD = your calorie target for the day (what you should be eating in a day this is what MFP calls your NET calories).

Replies

• sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks for posting this!
  • samantr0n
    samantr0n Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely loved the explanation, thank you!
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    weight in lbs not kg, right?
  • Aljos
    Aljos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump. I'll try this calculation... thank you.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode: The Guide to Ignoring Physics
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... according to this I should be eating around 950 calories a day and losing less than I am...
    I'm not convinced there is a formula for this kind of thing as everyone is so different and each body is different...
    Maybe it's just my body that's weird!