Body Tattoos

Options

Replies

• recklessenigma
    Options
    It's really up to you! :) Don't think of what others say. A tattoo is a commitment (unless you're going to have and want it lasered off later on).

Personally, I have three and I had ALL of them done in two weeks. I was a little tattoo crazed and I love all of mine. They mean a lot to me as should yours. Just take your time and make sure it's what you really want. :)
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Do it if you have thought on it enough and its what you really want.
    Make sure you have a design and not pick at the spare of the moment.
    Ensure you have enough money so that you don't end up with a 2nd or 3 rd choice.
    I would not get a tattoo at an expo though, they are there to make money and as much as possible so may rush a little to take advantage of the expo.
    Go to a good local tattooist, that way if some of the ink runs out or a bit needs redoing, you can just pop in.
    I reckon the right tattoo's r cool, the wrong ones aren't worth looking at.
    I have 7, 6 decent ones and 1, ah,,, should of got better....

Edit - tattoo's r one of my favorite subjects lol, each to their own I say,
    do get them where u can cover them up if work might be an issue,
    and remember they r for life. No girlfriends names or bar codes.

Edit 2 - Size matters, too much detail too small will be a blur later, go big,,,,,
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have a half-back piece- Phoenix Wings. I considered them for several years before I had them done. Being that I'm an artist, they went through many transitions before the final piece that reflected my style and use of bold color.

Don't get one on a whim. Think long and hard about the image you want, and what it means to you as a whole. I say this as a person who's wings cover a stupid flash piece I found in a book at a parlour and another I am hoping to get removed.
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Love all 9 of my tattoos, want more, just need the money. :) I say go for it!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are cool.
    Just make sure it's not a phase or some weekend warrior sh@t you're doing!
    They're permanent!
    And yes you get what you pay for!!
    Be patient and take your time.
    Don't just walk into a chop shop and point.
    If the Artist is booked for a couple three months before he can get to you.
    THEN YOU WAIT ON HIM!!
    Patience = No regrets.
    Take care from SoCal

This advice! I waited ages for my artist... EVERYONE always comes up and says how unique my sleeve is.. You dnt want the same thing as every Tom, **** and Harry out there. You want something that means something to you! And you want quality!! The amount of hours spent on mine was insane and everyone tells me I am an idiot for it! But it looks amazing!
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I spent years researching tattoos on the internet looking at different designs before I went to a tatoo shop who had done my nose and tongue piercing - so I knew he was a clean artist, had no problems with either of the piercings.

I went along with my design and booked in an appointment.

It took 20 mins to do a small tattoo of a horses head on the inside of my wrist. It was the most PAINFUL 20 mins of my life! God knows how people get addicted!

However, I love it! It means the world to me. I used to own a horse, but since becoming a teacher do not have the time. I occaisionally ride friends horses, but when I look at my tattoo it reminds me of good times with my horses :)

Know what you want before you get it done!
  • Nutrition1975
    Nutrition1975 Posts: 111
    Options
    I only have one and that is a tattoo of my wedding band - I say go for it :)
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I got past my "tattoos need meaning" phase about a half-dozen tattoos ago. Like, I want my body to be aesthetic. Most of my work has no "meaning" other than I find it pretty and I enjoy the way it looks on my body.

Agreed. Yes, make sure you think about what you want, because it will be there forever, but I don't think every bit of ink on your body has to have deep meaning. I have a half-sleeve sized arm piece for my kids, which includes two sprigs of baby's breath for two babies we lost. Obviously, that piece holds a lot of meaning for me. But most of the rest of my tattoos don't have much meaning beyond being something I really liked and wanted.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    As long as it isn't too cliche of a piece.

I have seen people get logos...so degrading really.

Go with a custom piece and don't force excessive amounts of significance in the tattoo that compromise the design. Also, be set on paying a premium, don't shop by price. Look for an artist that has strong clean lines. If they are jittery then that is a sign of not as good of control.

Also a design that flows with your body is good especially with larger pieces.

There is a lot more to the process but then at the same time it doesn't need to be overly complicated either.

When people say you'll hate it when your old and wrinkly.. Don't believe them, I like to think it will be a reminder of my youth.

Good luck and don't rush the process
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    DOOOIIIT!! I must warn you that it's addictive though haha... I have 8 and counting. I'm working on designs for a half sleeve and a side piece right now, and I have several other designs in my head. Woot!
  • Beccababe01
    Beccababe01 Posts: 41
    Options
    I got my 1st one as a dare!...lol and now i want more! I even got my mom to get one! :)
  • Beccababe01
    Beccababe01 Posts: 41
    Options
    thats going to be hott! good luck!
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I have 3, I regret the first only cos I didn't know better and got a flash off the wall and he did it crooked. I am planning a cover up when I can save up the $$. I agree, make sure you know what you want before you go, don't just get a tattoo for the sake of getting one. I love my ink and it makes me feel better about my body.
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    I love them, though I haven't got any myself, I'm too chicken as of yet. Custom ones are really cool/cute too, so go for something unique. :)
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options

I got past my "tattoos need meaning" phase about a half-dozen tattoos ago. Like, I want my body to be aesthetic. Most of my work has no "meaning" other than I find it pretty and I enjoy the way it looks on my body.

Me too. I have one meaningful one, and the rest are all just pretty. I even have one of a donkey in a sailor hat. It was free and it is super cute... The things we do for addiction hahaha!!
  • ducatibabe
    ducatibabe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love them got a full back piece when i was 42, have one thigh fully covered with a geisha and dragon and waitting to get a phoenix on my other thigh, why pay good money for art to go on the wall when my art goes with me everywhere!!!!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I waited until I was almost 40 for my first and I still love it two years later. I plan to get another if I can get under 220 lbs by the time I go to Vegas in September.

21221599_6482_thumb.jpg
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    They are addicting. I have one already stands for my children. I am getting another in a few weeks as soon as I hit my 50 pd. weight loss mark, and another at the end when I reach my goal weight. :)
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    <
    :happy:
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have 5, they all have a special meaning and I say if you want them have them, it's your body!