Leftover Calories

Options
When I have a healthy day and go to the gym I have calories leftover and I can't bring myself to eat them as I just feel too full.

Last night I had salmon with vegetables and salad and 100g of mcCain oven chips and I was SOO full but had SOO many calories left. I'm thinking as I went over my calories the day before I'm ok for now but what can I do in future.............

?

Replies

• xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    When I have a healthy day and go to the gym I have calories leftover and I can't bring myself to eat them as I just feel too full.

Last night I had salmon with vegetables and salad and 100g of mcCain oven chips and I was SOO full but had SOO many calories left. I'm thinking as I went over my calories the day before I'm ok for now but what can I do in future.............

?
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    try and eat more caloire dense foods like nuts, cheese, protein bars etc. A glass of milk or chocolate milk is a good choice too with calories but still healthy. Also make small additions to your meal. For example you could have had some pesto on your salmon or some other sort of sauce which could easily have added some extra calories. :flowerforyou:
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Fank oo :flowerforyou:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    no problem :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,084 Member
    Options
    xmimi,

On my workout days, I often don't have an appetite after working out. I tend to eat a lot more the next day ( I'm working out every other day - mostly because I get more out of it every other day, but also for time reasons.)

One of the members here who is a lifetime fitness person said ....."your body doesn't know when the day changes, doesn't know about 24 hours in a day, as long as you aren't saving up (banking) calories all week and then binging at the end of the week."

Workout days for me are 700-1000 calories expended on workouts. This is a chunk of about three hours including shower, drive etc. I always be sure to get my recommended amount of protein on my workout days, and then more carbs on my "off" days. It works best - - for me.

Just a thought. :flowerforyou:
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    So, as long as you don't take it too far the concept of "banking" calories is acceptable as long as I'm not saving 500kcal a day and then eating 10 mcdonalds on the weekend?!

That's helpful thanks, :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,084 Member
    Options
    xmimi:

Remember this old post?? Looks like we both got our two cents in on it. It explores your current question, too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9725-roll-over-calories?hl=roll+over+calories#posts-69751
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Ya I remember that, thanks, but I'm slightly worried on banking calories if actually I shouldn't be doing so. I know weightwatchers says you can which to me says it must be ok, but if it is ok why doesn't this site say so?!?! :frown: :ohwell:

This is my cross roads, and so early in life :laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    x

I guess the key is to map out what you will be eating for the whole day, add in meals and snacks throughout the earlier parts of the day that bring you closer to your goal so you're not trying to get it all in at the end. If it's hard to do, I recommend once a week setting aside an hour and making up individual baggies of things. For example, every week the wife and I go shopping on sunday and when we get back we spen 1/2 an hour or so cutting up individual baggies of cheddar cheese, carrots and peas, almonds...etc add to that my V8, yogurt, banana, oat meal, my lunch, an apple, and 1 or 2 other snacks, and I'm within 600 calories of my day (I need about 2700 a day, so for me 600 is pretty close). this allows us to just use a mini cooler bag, drop in all the snacks for the day, 1 small cold pack, and we are off for the day. If you work out that day, add a couple of extra snacks. It makes my life so much easier, and it's about 2 minutes work in the morning to fill up the cooler. I love knowing that if I eat everything in there through the day, I won't get stuffed, and I will be close enough to my calories to be able to eat a healthy, normal sized dinner and 1 snack at night and still have reached my goal calories for the day.

best luck to you,

-Banks