Can I do this without the gym?

Options
I bought an exercise bike off of a friend of a friend. I also found a bunch of great videos on Youtube (I <3 Tiffany Rothe!). My gym membership costs $24.99 a month. I haven't gone most of this year, as I was taking classes at night.

Now that the schedule has opened up, my husband wants to go back to doing yoga at the local studio. (Helps his back.) So do I cancel the gym and stick with the bike and put the gym money towards yoga? I've got about 15 or so lbs to go on any given day and they're stubborn to shake. Has anyone been this close and been successful without a gym membership?

I'm 5'7

CW:152
GW: 138

Replies

• pinky16lv
    pinky16lv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds with just eating right and moderate exercise in a week
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you aren't using the gym and your husband needs yoga to help his back then by all means send your husband to yoga.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have never used a gym it is totally possible
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    send him to yoga and dump the gym. I haven't had a gym membership yet. :)
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I pay $7.99 a month for Netflix, which includes different yoga classes. I love it.
  • doh8302
    doh8302 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am a very busy Mom of 5 children under the age of 10 and my husband is a long haul truck driver so my "me" time is pretty much gone. I've lost a bunch of weight with staying under my calories and going for an occasional slow walk. I also have an exercise bike that I rarely use. So yes you can lose without going to the gym. Just make smart choices in what you eat. Personally I think yoga with a loved one sounds more enjoyable than a gym. Good luck.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You have to be honest with yourself. If you're not going to go to the gym, you're wasting your money (and many people do, and the gym owners count on it, so don't feel bad). But if you stay home, make sure you work out consistently and use a heart rate monitor.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've lost 36 lbs without a gym membership. I started running on my treadmill and outdoors as well as a few workout DVDs from time to time. Totally doable.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love the gym. Its my favorite part of every day. BUT that was also true when I gained all the weight so what do i know.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, but I would try to get an elliptical, some weights and resistance bands as well, if I were you. That’s just me though, you don't really need a lot. But when I was younger in my twenties I never belonged to a gym and I was super fit. I jogged, rode bikes and waited tables. I do not belong to a gym anymore but I have many of the things found in a gym in my garage.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and join the work-out classes. I love them =)
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    41 lbs down without a gym or large exercise equipment (have had occassional use of elliptical)

I used the library to have a constant rotation of dvds (circuit training, yoga, kickboxing, dance, etc). If there are ones that I really liked, I waited for a deal and bought them (I love Jillian Michaels). I started with 2 lb weights and eventually got 3's, 5's, and 8's either on clearance or at Goodwill. I'm scouring craigslist for a weight bench or boxing bag. Oh, and I started c25k as soon as the weather warmed and I'm halfway through. Walking around the park playground while my boys play is free and gets them active as well. It most definitely can be done with a gym. I would definitely put the gym money toward something you know you will use. If your behaviors or patterns change, you can always add the gym back at a later date. :)
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I workout at home with ellipitical and dumbells every morning at 5:00 am. I've lost 46 lbs so far and only have about 12 to go. It's slow go at the end but very doable!!

Good luck.
    :happy:
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i have never used a gym, only the local roadways and swimming pool and i have lost 39lbs
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    If you don't go to the gym there's no point in paying for it.

Personally, the sidewalk has always been a great free place for me to burn up extra calories.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Lots of food for thought... Thank you!! :)