Cardio vs. Strength (a vent)

Options
runfatmanrun
runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
I have been here for a while. Read a lot of posts arguing this point. Not as many as whether I should eat my exercise cals back but a few. Everyone wants to know which is best to lose pounds quicker and will you gain when you start lifting. Ultimately who cares so long as you are getting off your a** and doing something in the exercise realm. So to the argument at hand, cardio vs. strength I have a tale that proves when you are just trying to be healthy, it doesn't matter.

So today I ran a 5 mile race in 40 minutes and am very proud of myself since this is the fastest I have ran. I have been running 3 times a week for close to 20 total miles each week. A friend of mine doesn't run he just does Crossfit. Whether you like Crossfit or not I don't really care but it is very effective for those willing to take on the financial burden. At the end of the race he crossed it 30 seconds before I did. Two people, two different training/exercise styles, two different stories of success, and one similar result. Yes I will admit that I didn't beat him and I don't care about that either just overjoyed with my result.

My point is that instead of cardio vs. strength how about both or how about just commiting to one. It baffles me when I read the posts about how if you are only going to eat back your exercise calories why bother exercising. Exercising is highly beneficial. Start out slow and get better but get off your butts. It will help you reach your goal no matter what path you choose, just be patient.

This being my first post I hope it makes sense.

Replies

• Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    Great post! I could not live without weights or cardio! Both are amazingly beneficial. And I eat so I can train and feel invigirated, exercise is like a therapy to me and if I feel weak I cannot relieve myself thus I do tend to eat back my cals if I feel like it that day!
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think what you're trying to say is that if people stopped thinking about the "tricks" to getting healthy then they'd have more time to get healthy.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    On a general note this is kinda the way of the internet. Mention Xbox vs Playstation in front of a bunch of nerds and you'll find yourself in the middle of a slapping war. Where there's room for choice, there's room for war :laugh:
  • runfatmanrun
    Options
    I think what you're trying to say is that if people stopped thinking about the "tricks" to getting healthy then they'd have more time to get healthy.

Yeah this would be the condensed version of my point. Sometimes I have verbal diarrhea of the mouth or in this case the keyboard.
  • runfatmanrun
    Options
    bump
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I prefer strength because it's not monotonous.. I'm not just on a treadmill pounding away for a half an hour or w/e. I also prefer strength because it makes me look better than cardio alone would(IMO, others feel that cardio only makes them look just fine).
    At the end of the day though, I do a nice balance of both... or at least I try to :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

My point is that instead of cardio vs. strength how about both or how about just commiting to one. It baffles me when I read the posts about how if you are only going to eat back your exercise calories why bother exercising. Exercising is highly beneficial. Start out slow and get better but get off your butts. It will help you reach your goal no matter what path you choose, just be patient.
    Not to mention the better looking firmer butts
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of Good, Better, Best.

Good = getting up and doing any exercise.
    Better = doing exercise to improve specific areas of fitness.
    Best = doing exercise that improves total fitness.

Cardio by itself is good, lifting by itself is better.
    Both combined is best.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I actually see those discussions as something great, because it means that exercise has become an everyday happening and now people are just trying to defend what they do or figure out how to do it more efficiently. In the meantime, nobody remembers how hard those first days of exercising were, or the fact that a few months ago it would have never occurred to them to leave the office and go to the gym (for a lot of people, anyway).
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Why choose? I do strength, a little cardio, yoga, and whatever else strikes my fancy. So long as you enjoy and get results, who cares?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    strength still won.............
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I read in a magazine that if you do cardio on an incline, it become strength training too. So walking/running/biking up hills can also strengthen muscles as well as burn fat. Just FYI. It definitely will make your legs leaner and your butt! We got a dog a year ago and I wish I had measured my legs before hand. It's been slow but all our walks have paid off.

Now my husband and I are starting to ride bikes after 30+ years.... whole new set of muscles I need to work on! My legs are rubber when we are done riding.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love both exercises. Both kick my butt! I love the endorphin feel after exercising. This feeling can last for days.

One thing I think may be true that someone mentioned here recently...is that in our old age years of strength training will probably be very beneficial. Little, old, strong elderly! I work with the very old and they are so brittle. A little muscle would do them good.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have been here for a while. Read a lot of posts arguing this point. Not as many as whether I should eat my exercise cals back but a few. Everyone wants to know which is best to lose pounds quicker and will you gain when you start lifting. Ultimately who cares so long as you are getting off your a** and doing something in the exercise realm. So to the argument at hand, cardio vs. strength I have a tale that proves when you are just trying to be healthy, it doesn't matter.

So today I ran a 5 mile race in 40 minutes and am very proud of myself since this is the fastest I have ran. I have been running 3 times a week for close to 20 total miles each week. A friend of mine doesn't run he just does Crossfit. Whether you like Crossfit or not I don't really care but it is very effective for those willing to take on the financial burden. At the end of the race he crossed it 30 seconds before I did. Two people, two different training/exercise styles, two different stories of success, and one similar result. Yes I will admit that I didn't beat him and I don't care about that either just overjoyed with my result.

This being my first post I hope it makes sense.

I get your point (and it's a good one...move around, eat at a deficit, etc)...but your example leaves a little to be desired. The benifits of weight training are far different than the benifits of running. Strength training does not condition you to run marathons. Comparing the two is apples and oranges. Basically the only conclusion that could be drawn from your story is that someone who doesn't train to run, was 30 seconds faster than someone who does.

Trust me, I'm not taking anything away from your accomplishment, I don't know how long it would take me to run 5 miles, and the only way I'll ever find out is if someone sets a man eating tiger on my *kitten* and says 'Go!'. I also agree with you 100% that any exercise is better than none...but again, the point I made about strength training and cardio having different benifits stands.

You can't force a square peg into a round hole...just because it makes a nice story :l.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Cardio by itself is good, lifting by itself is better.
    Both combined is best.

I like this lol.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Both combined is best.

I like this lol.

Second that. I think a combination of cardio & strength is always good. But anything you do -- is great. Just do it!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Both combined is best.

I like this lol.

Second that. I think a combination of cardio & strength is always good. But anything you do -- is great. Just do it!

You deleted the important part lol.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    My point is that instead of cardio vs. strength how about both or how about just commiting to one.

CARDIO VS STRENGTH

Working out is probably better than not working out at all. Working out with a purpose is just that. I favor combining CARDIO and STRENGTH TRAINING as part of your work-out routine for the simple reason that both promote health and lessen the likelihood of Metabolic Syndrome (Diabetes, Hypertention, Stroke, Heart Disease etc) in different ways.

Being in shape means a lower likelihood of disease than being out of shape and that doesn't matter whether your obese, a normal BMI, or skinny. In fact obese fit people have a lower risk than skinny sedintary folks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCPQz9nhQs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you're interested in a medical discussion about the benefits of both (it's pretty deep, but you can get the main points if you listen through it) you'll see that both types of exercise appear to be good for you in different ways...especially if you are dieting!

Dieters who just dieted gained much of the weight back...those that exercised were more likely to keep it off.

Lastly, people who just dieted lost fat initially, but fat and muscle eventually. The trick is combining strength training with dieting. On the flip side, and a bit off target, a Sports Nutritionist friend of mine who is a registered dietition said in a lecture to Ultimate Marathoners (100 mile a week club) their biggest concern was "Keeping weight off". I initially thought how can someone running 100 miles a week have difficultly keeping weight off...but it was this combined with eating the approprate nutrition not to lose muscle that created the problem. So you see....we all have issues....just approach it smartly...

In the debate CARDIO vs STRENGTH.....they both win...especially together....

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I prefer strength because it's not monotonous.. I'm not just on a treadmill pounding away for a half an hour or w/e. I also prefer strength because it makes me look better than cardio alone would(IMO, others feel that cardio only makes them look just fine).
    At the end of the day though, I do a nice balance of both... or at least I try to :)

Picking things up just to put them back down is not monotonous? Personally I find both monotonous.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Picking things up just to put them back down is not monotonous? Personally I find both monotonous.

I think that the implication is that picking things up and putting them down for a few minutes, then moving on to a different way of picking things up and putting them down for a few mintues, and then moving on to...(well, you get the idea here), is a lot less monotonous than standing still and moving your legs on the same treadmill/elliptical/whatever for 45 minutes straight..