Do you agree with Cheat Days?

Options
When I started my MFP aprox 6 weeks ago, I weighed 226ish pounds. For the first month I was doing great. I went down to 203, losing about 5 pounds a week. (I weigh in every saturday morning) From the forth to fifth week, I noticed I haven't dropped a pound. So I guess I hit a plateau. I was talking to a neighbour, and he mentioned that I should have a cheat day, and eat a whole bunch of food. Double my calories. He said my body is now getting use to 1600 cal a day, and I need to confuse my body. So that next monday, I ate approx 2800 calories. For the rest of the week I went back to my normal 1630ish calories a day. Hopped on the scale this morning, and 198. Do you think it was from the cheat day,? What do you think? I hope it is, because I dont mind having a cheat day every once a month or so.

Replies

• Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have heard that having a spike day can boost your metabolism. I have had days when I go hog wild and end up staying the same or even less weight wise (I am maintaining now).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    I don't try to argue with cheat days. I just let them win.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

LOL
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Indeed. In fact, today is my cheat day and I will probably end up eating +4000 calories. I've been doing it for several weeks now and haven't gained a lb from it... and actually I've lost 6 lbs since doing it.

It's not for everyone, but it works for me.
  • kazzari
    Options
    Cheat opportunities (birthday cake, potlucks at work) come up often enough that I don't plan them. No, I don't think they are that helpful metabolically, but can be mentally.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I suggested a cheat day to my wife once, but when she figured out I meant with the hottie next door and not with a bowl of ice cream, she put the kibosh on that....
  • kellimr
    kellimr Posts: 69
    Options

LOL

LOL love that response!
  • Ittybitty22
    Ittybitty22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    good job your neighbor was right when u plateau u got to change it up
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone should see eating any food as a cheat
    This is a reason for upping your calories amongst others, no food us cheating in moderation or on allowance

My mind sets changed in 4 months after 23 + years of yoyo 'dieting'
    I'm not hungry never feel I'm missing out deprived or feel I'm cheating

This has to be a change of life a life plan if you are needing chocolate crisps a takeaway have it in calories if youve not enough calories left work for them walk for 2 hours dance for an afternoon but don't think any foods bad s cheat or you'll feel guilty x
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes I think it can help for people, I'm not going with that "thought" this time around haha, but I guess we will see what happens if and when I hit a plateau.
  • kazzari
    Options
    I suggested a cheat day to my wife once, but when she figured out I meant with the hottie next door and not with a bowl of ice cream, she put the kibosh on that....

Ha ha!
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think one cheat day a week is good for your weight lost needs. Ur body will get used to ur diet so every once in awhile u should eat a few more calories then normal to trick ur body into thinking u no longer are on a diet and then BOOOOOOM, the next day u watch ur cals again and u should start to loose some more lbs!
  • reginapeak
    reginapeak Posts: 24
    Options
    I am not sure anyone else caught it- so I will say *CONGRATULATIONS* at being below 200. I cried when I broke below 200.
    I guess you could say I have cheat days. My husband also agrees its good to shake things up every once in awhile.
    My worst cheat day was probably around 2800 calories, on my 19th anniversary when my husband took me out to eat.
    I continue to lose- slowly and steadily.
    I probably have one day a week where I eat at more of a maintenance caloric intake- of around 2000 to 2200 calories.

My biggest fear is gaining my weight back- so when I have a cheat day- that determination keeps my cheat day from turning into a cheat week, and then falling right back into old routines.

Again, congratulations!
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    yes
  • bunnylvr
    bunnylvr Posts: 78
    Options
    Yeah, my cheat day is every Friday night. My boyfriend cooks dinner on the grill and we enjoy some drinks. I try to go on a longer run that day than normal though to make up for it.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    The word "Cheat" says that it's something bad, something you shouldn't do. So no I don't cheat, but I do treat myself to things and work it into my calories.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Every day is a cheat day for me.

Meaning if I want alcohol, I have it. If I want chocolate, I have it. I've found it's bad news bears overall if I don't, because then I'm grumpy.
  • debjane52
    debjane52 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had a 'cheat day' once that lasted 5 years and added 100 poounds to my frame. Think I will pass this time. I eat what I want and log everything. If I am going to go above my calorie count, I try to get in more exercise to balance it out. Maybe when I get closer to my goal weight, I will fee different. Keep up the good work though!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I "cheat" when I want to..I'm maintaining now.