I put spinach in my smoothie.....

Options
AND I LIKED IT!!! I had read so many posts where people were adding it to their smoothies and talking how much they liked it. I was dubious to say the least. But I read a post from one of my friends who did it. So I thought what the heck! Tonight I made myself a chocolate, peanut butter, banana protein smoothie and added a big handful of spinach. I couldn't taste the spinach...but I couldn't look at the color while drinking it either! :wink: Not a pretty drink for sure. But it was good!

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i do this too and you can't taste the spinach at all! Try kale sometime!
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    I will give it a try one day. Care to share some of your recipes?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    i do this too and you can't taste the spinach at all! Try kale sometime!
    Spinach is good. I tried kale. Made my smoothie smell like (for lack of a better word): yard.

Tasted good. Smelled like yard.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this...and I want to know the "why" behind it...is it just for added nutrients?
  • fitmemom
    fitmemom Posts: 22
    Options
    I put spinach in mine all the time! Its a great way to sneak in another serving of veggies!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    hm, I may not be the best person to ask about recipes because I don't like really sweet stuff!

Here goes:
    1/2 cup full fat yogurt
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 tablespoon raw honey
    2 handfuls spinach
    a leaf of kale
    some water or some coconut milk
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I put frozen spinach in mine so it will thicken up my shake into more of a milkshake consistency. Love it.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Awesome Idea :)
  • rmelle
    rmelle Posts: 4
    Options
    Once I accidentally used a spinach and arugula mix. NOT recommended, very bitter! :D
  • empressalexa
    Options
    i do a juice drink with water, spinach, a pear, banana, carrot and some ice. it is very good and green. there are lots of different mixes that taste so good.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yeap I have done this before as well... LOVE spinach in practically everything. And I Love that you can throw it in smoothies and YES it changes the color, but not the taste :-)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I often blend spinach or chard with blackberries or strawberries or blueberries and a banana.

or any combination of the above, really.

Good stuff!
  • EmmyLou1253
    EmmyLou1253 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use Kale mostly but also spinach. First blend it with some liquid until it is liquified then add the other ingredients. Kale, frozen banana and strawberries (blueberry , mango or pineapple as alternatives), plain greek yogurt, stevia, dark chocolate almond milk. Yummy! I sometimes make it with water as the liquid. Cuts some calories and I still enjoy it.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not I just grab several handfuls of whatever fruit and veggies I have on hand with some protein powder, flaxseed and chia and almond milk or water, Boom done. Never had a bad combination. But I agree spinach, and kale, are great in smoothies.
  • EmmyLou1253
    EmmyLou1253 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here is one from a friend: Kale and/or leaf lettuce as a base (always blend the greens smooth with a bit of water first), then other ingredients such as celery, cucumber and apple. To this I add frozen fruit such as mixed berries, pineapple, peaches or mango. To smooth it out, I add yogurt, avocado or banana - and always drop in a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh ginger or allspice; they add that little extra "something" and have health benefits too.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I make a vegetable smoothie daily.....

Kale or spinach
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Carrot
    1/2 cup blueberries
    And the trick to looking more appetizing - beetroot!

Once a week I boil 4 or 5 beetroots for 30mins, and then add that to my smoothie - gorgeous red/ pink color ;-)

On my gym days I add protein powder and some coconut cream as well.....
  • tdyer10
    tdyer10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow!! who would have "thunk it." I will definitely try it!!!
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    AND I LIKED IT!!! I had read so many posts where people were adding it to their smoothies and talking how much they liked it. I was dubious to say the least. But I read a post from one of my friends who did it. So I thought what the heck! Tonight I made myself a chocolate, peanut butter, banana protein smoothie and added a big handful of spinach. I couldn't taste the spinach...but I couldn't look at the color while drinking it either! :wink: Not a pretty drink for sure. But it was good!

I won't tell you what my husband said mine looked like. Mine had soy protein meal replacement (2 scoops, strawberries and two cups of fresh spinach. It was yummy. Kind of the color of camouflage :)
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Went to Costco yesterday and they had a Vitamix demo. Lady put Strawberry, banana, Beets, orange. uncored apple, (unpeeled) pineapple, and broccoli in and it was wonderful. Some of these food processors can take advantage of using the skin which is where all the vitamins are. We cheat ourselves by peeling many of our fruits and veggies. It was eye opening. I'm gonna get a batch of spinach from Kroger and see how it does in my morning smoothies (already got broccoli stems in there).
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's awesome! I love spinach in my protein drinks because I can't taste it and it is so good for you! I too was leary about doing it and now I'm hooked. I don't feel right if it's not in there.