Diet Pop

Options
What is the truth about diet pop? My fiance wants to cry when I drink it because he is sure I am going to kill myself by drinking it! I hear all the things about it but what is the real truth. I do not know where to look or what to think. Anybody know what to think anyone want to help me I would be greatful!

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you one thing that is true about diet pop- or any carbonated beverage, it decreases calcium absorption, and can lead to weak bones which is not a good thing if you like your bones. :tongue:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you drink a carbonated drink while eating, you are likely to eat more as the bubbles stimulate your stomach gases. Don't know if it's a wives' tale or not. But I find it to be true with me. I do drink diet soda, but I have switched to water when eating out especially and I have seen a difference.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I eat less when I drink seltzer, because it fills me up. Here's the deal on diet soda, though:
    Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, etc, do have carcinogens in them.
    Coke Zero and Pepsi Max use Splenda. Splenda hasn't been *proven* to cause cancer or anything bad, but it's pretty new, so there may be bad effects.

My nutritionist said that carbonated water is okay for you, though - you can add a squeeze of lemon or lime.

I'm trying to reduce the amount of diet soda I drink, because I know it's not healthy, but sometimes the choice is between a diet soda and a chocolate icecream cone, so I have to go with the lesser of two evils. All we can demand of ourselves is our best!
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you can find it, watch the documentary "Sweet Deception".
    You will NEVER eat artificial sweetner again.

I stick to water, coffee and teas with the occasional regular soft drink (maybe once a month).
  • Shelley130
    Options
    I do not drink diet because of the aspartame. Here is a link for more info.

http://www.buildingbodies.ca/Nutrition/Aspartame_In_Your_Diet.shtml

Just a few quotes from above link.

Many people have reported the following side effects from aspartame:
    * Fibromyalgia Syndrome and symptoms of Fibromyalgia
    * Multiple Sclerosis symptoms
    * Dizziness
    * Headaches
    * Menstrual problems
    * Behavioral changes observed after intake of aspartame flavored foods and drinks are moodiness, nausea, hallucinations, seizures, twitching, abnormal breathing, and depression.

Diet pop is very acidic, with a pH of 1.5 to 2.5 - that is 100,000 times more acid that your body wants to be. Aspartame has a pH of 1.5! All life dies at a pH of 4.5.
    Because of this your body creates fat cells to store the extra acid or in this case Aspartame. This is why people who drink diet pop just get fatter.

Scientists and doctors have also found that over 150 degenerative diseases are linked to acidity, including cancer, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, gall and kidney stones, and many more. All diseases thrive in an acidic, oxygen poor environment.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    There is a lot of hype about diet pop...a lot going around the intertnet that is just plain overkill. I'm not saying it's a health-drink....but I'm a believer in moderation. I personally drink it, because it keeps me from craving sweets when I'm trying not to eat them...it's like a treat for me. I've kept a close eye on it actually, and I'm certain now that it does not cause me to crave more food.

Cindy
  • supafly
    supafly Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah, it probably causes cancer like everything else... and messes with your mood... and memory... but hey! I'm drinking one right now. :3
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it probably causes cancer like everything else... and messes with your mood... and memory... but hey! I'm drinking one right now. :3

Well that's a healthy attitude. lol
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts. I have PCOS and I have enough issues with irregular menstrual cycles if dropping the diet pop will help I am willing to do it. And I enjoy my bones very much I hope that I have not done anything to harm too much already!